GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 10:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skyburner Freestylist UL Pilots  (Read 3649 times)
wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 10:11 PM »

Weather is good but the wind has been up.  No UL flying but hopefully this weekend will settle down.  I am anxious to get back to working on the JL and I think l might have a better chance with the UL's in light wind over the Std in higher bumpy winds.

I am becoming more solid with my control and entering positions in different ways.  I was impressed with the multitude of ways you enter positions and how the smoothness adds to the flow of tricks.  So that is what I'm working on it makes a big difference and looks great when smooth. 

I look forward to flying with the Famous Norms straps soon...  I've already gotten rid of all my BOAS....Compared to the finger straps they don't provide much in the way of control.

np
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 07:24 PM »

Weather is good but the wind has been up.  No UL flying but hopefully this weekend will settle down.  I am anxious to get back to working on the JL and I think l might have a better chance with the UL's in light wind over the Std in higher bumpy winds.
I agree, especially if the light wind is smooth.

I am becoming more solid with my control and entering positions in different ways. 
You did great with the broken Axel to fade, but it's also good to know the pancake to fade at any elevation you choose.

I look forward to flying with the Famous Norms straps soon...  I've already gotten rid of all my BOAS....Compared to the finger straps they don't provide much in the way of control.
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy got rid of Boas. I don't remember making this recommendation. Just think, all you need is 2 rotations of the Jacobs Ladder and you will get a pair of split-finger (ninja's), which provide excellent finger tip line control. I'm not even asking for one JL in each direction, but that's only because I never ask someone else to do something that I can't do. 
wagsboyz

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 08:24 PM »

You inspired me to fly in a totally different way than I had flown.  It was watching you fly and how you did things that I have been looking for in my flying.  Smooth fluid transitions is my aim now that I have seen you do it.  I mentioned before that I was looking for combos but it isn't just combos it is the fluid smooth combos that look good.

The videos that I have seen that I really like are those that flow smooth and effortless which I better understand now.  I havn't really flown with anyone that flys like that until now.  I guess I learn better in person than trying to undertand instruction in a video.

You've created a monster....

np

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 03:33 PM »

It was watching you fly and how you did things that I have been looking for in my flying.  Smooth fluid transitions is my aim now that I have seen you do it. 
I have made a few videos of myself flying. I make them to see what needs to be improved or how I might accomplish improvement. I never have recognized smooth fluid transitions. I have always noticed room for lots of improvement, but thanks for the compliment.

I guess I learn better in person than trying to undertand instruction in a video.
Yes, you already have learned faster with someone on hand to help. We're going to get you to learn all the tricks I can do, which isn't a bunch, but it will get you going. What the heck I like Ventura anyway, so a few trips your way will be nothing but fun & sun. My wife likes the area too and that always helps.

You've created a monster....
Hopefully a Trick Monster.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 04:18 PM by np » Logged
Captainbob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 04:53 PM »

Not into tricking at all, and  this is my first video on an Android phone of my new Freestylist UL, just flying around and having a lot of fun.   Wind around 3 mph. 

http://youtu.be/2fpWdQZ43lw
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 04:55 PM by Captainbob » Logged

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
wagsboyz

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 05:04 PM »

Nice video Bob.  Beautiful kite, like the red!!   
basicbill

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 05:58 PM »

Not into tricking at all, and  this is my first video on an Android phone of my new Freestylist UL, just flying around and having a lot of fun.   Wind around 3 mph. 

Nicely done. My kind of flying.

Bill

Captainbob

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 07:17 PM »

Nicely done. My kind of flying.

Bill

I did one with one of my Revs today too. 

http://youtu.be/pRCXr7wu3Ig

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
wagsboyz

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 07:57 PM »

So I spent the day flying in very light wind and worked on the JL all day.  Here is what I found.

1. Fade entry without issue
2. Lateral roll out was most reliable when not setteling in the fade, directly rolling out.  Kept the kite square.
   Rolling out from the held fade I was having keeping the kite square.
3. Popping into the turtle not really an issue and getting it deep was good.
4. While in the turtle the kite lost altitude so fast that when I did the half lazy I couldn't get the fade.

Any tricks about keeping altitude in the turtle.  Maybe I'm just trying to be too slow with the whole manuever.  Speeding up the fade to roll out worked great, I need to try and speed up the lazy to get into the fade to be able to regain altitude?

By the way,  I'm having a blast..

Note to NP:  I flew with a good friend today.  Glen was here and he got seven other flyers out and we had a ball.  Not bad for a Monday, of course I had to call in sick but what a way to spend a sick day. Grin
np

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 05:47 AM »

Not bad for a Monday, of course I had to call in sick but what a way to spend a sick day. Grin
Notice the time of this post.
Bad news: I have a Dental appointment today at 10:00 am.
Good news: My Dentist is in Morro Bay. 2.5 hour drive
I will answer your post this evening. I'm heading out the door. Sounds like you had a great day.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:52 PM by np » Logged
np

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 07:44 PM »

So I spent the day flying in very light wind and worked on the JL all day.  Here is what I found.
2. Lateral roll out was most reliable when not setteling in the fade,

There should be NO reason you shouldn't be able to settle into the fade and roll-out when you get good and ready.

So I spent the day flying in very light wind and worked on the JL all day.  Here is what I found. Rolling out from the held fade I was having keeping the kite square.

A straight back pop was working good for me. Try some variable straight back snap/pop type inputs.

Any tricks about keeping altitude in the turtle. 

I know this might sound far fetched, but I think you could be loosing wind down low to the ground in the grass park area verses being right down on the beach. Today at Morro the wind was at the utmost low end for my Talon UL. When I encounter this I always go down as close to the edge of the water as I can. The closer I got to the waters edge the more wind I could fell at my back.  So, I filmed a few JL's and will send you a link to your e-mail address listed in your profile  as soon as I can upload to You Tube.

By the way,  I'm having a blast..

My guess is when you get the right wind for your Gemini, you'll be doing JL's and you will have a real blast.
wagsboyz

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 09:54 PM »

I'm trying even if the wind hasn't been perfect.  I want to be able to fly in all winds not just that elusive perfect condition.

Yesterday was a strange wind day for sure.  We had everthing from indoor kites to SUL's and UL's up with very flakey variable breezes.   I was doing helicopters with indoor kites and flying the freestylist (challenge).

It was the type of day that helped me understand low wind flying techniques.  The low wind capabilities of a kite is without doubt pilot dependent.  Before yesterday I probably would not have tried to fly in the light conditions we had for alot of the day.  In the future I will welcome the challenge.

The wind came up several times throughout the day to try the JL but was still really bumpy and unpredictable.  But my techniques should shine when I do get good wind because I'm pretty close in the crappy winds.

Any kite flying day beats being at work... Roll Eyes

Note:  my bucket is coming along.. Next down to the water...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:56 PM by wagsboyz » Logged
np

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 03:38 PM »

Note:  my bucket is coming along..
Kite Kaddy is mighty handy for me.

Next down to the water...
You might be going down to the water sooner than you think...........check your e-mail. The third board is for "D".  Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:51 PM by np » Logged
wagsboyz

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 10:48 PM »

I'm not so sure that Dawn would try it.. Roll Eyes

We're off to the park tomorrow hoping for a good wind day. I am going to start my day down at the water however I don't have my bucket ready yet.

I had broken a lower leading edge on my Widow Maker UL somehow while it was in the bag and just got it fixed tonight.  I havn't had it with me the last couple times I have flown and I'm hoping I can JL it with some consistantcy.  Gonna give it a go if the wind is good.
np

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 10:14 AM »

We're off to the park tomorrow hoping for a good wind day. I am going to start my day down at the water however I don't have my bucket ready yet.
Hope you had a good wind day and I am anxiously awaiting for the results of the JL's.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum