GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 11:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skyburner Freestylist UL Pilots  (Read 3447 times)
wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 02:19 PM »

Nope,  got to the beach early and not a wisp of wind to be had.  We stayed all day and the wind just never happened.  Really strange day.  I did fly my Prism Vapor on really short lines and the wind was low enough to fly up and over and 360.
Family had fun riding bikes and playing at the beach.

Stayed home and made soft pretzels today as it is raining.

Captainbob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2014, 02:43 PM »

Nope,  got to the beach early and not a wisp of wind to be had.  We stayed all day and the wind just never happened.  Really strange day.  I did fly my Prism Vapor on really short lines and the wind was low enough to fly up and over and 360.
Family had fun riding bikes and playing at the beach.

Stayed home and made soft pretzels today as it is raining.

Same here in Atlanta, not a bit of wind to fly anything except a helium filled balloon.  Embarrassed

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
wagsboyz

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2014, 03:14 PM »

Captainbob,  that's what I need to add to the bag, some helium and balloons.   Cheesy Cry

I'll just stick to beer and some snacks for now.  No wind makes for some good relaxation... Grin
Captainbob

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2014, 03:14 PM »

Captainbob,  that's what I need to add to the bag, some helium and balloons.   Cheesy Cry

I'll just stick to beer and some snacks for now.  No wind makes for some good relaxation... Grin

Get some good Craft beers. They will brighten your day....

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
wagsboyz

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2014, 03:18 PM »

you were reading my mind.  I am a sucker for good dark craft beer.  Kinda why I made pretzels today, a little Black Butte Porter might have made it in the dough...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:28 PM by wagsboyz » Logged
Captainbob

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2014, 03:28 PM »

you were reading my mind.  I am a sucker for good dark craft beer.  Kinda why I made pretzels today, a little Black Butte Porter might have made it in the dough...
I worked for a Belgium company for almost 20 years, which got me hooked on good beers, most of them dark. Love Porters, Stouts, and there are many great Craft beers now in the US that compare favorably with the best Belgium beers.
We even have some excellent micro brews right here in
Atlanta

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
wagsboyz

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2014, 03:38 PM »

Our family spent this last Christmas in Munich where I was in hog heaven tasting all of the incredible Dark German Beers.  My current local favorite is Black Butte Porter from Oregon.
Trip
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2014, 06:33 AM »

np... nice Freestylist. On my wishlist is a WM UL, but I find that the stats for the WM UL and the Freestylist UL are about the same. I'm like CaptainBob in that I don't trick much in my piloting. I haven't flown either kite. Which do you prefer?

Nice vids CaptianBob. I like the red Freestylist. 

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
np
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2014, 09:07 AM »

np... nice Freestylist.
Trip......There must be some confusion, as I don't own a Skyburner Freestylist.

I'm like CaptainBob in that I don't trick much in my piloting. I haven't flown either kite. Which do you prefer?
I choose and buy my kites to trick and don't like to recommend which kite for YOU to buy. I will say this: If you're not going to trick, then you don't need a $300.00+ kite to fly ribbon tails or figure eights.  Wink Myself I think you and Capt. Bob should start tricking.  Wink It's not easy, especially on us "old guys", but it will hold your interest a lot longer than pulling tails. I would be more than happy to send you some video links of some the "trick challenges" I offered to Beginners in this forum. Before you purchase either of the kites you mentioned above, be SURE you know what you are going to do with it, even if it's because of the particular wind you encounter where you fly.   
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:02 AM by np » Logged
Trip

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2014, 12:23 PM »

np... nice Freestylist.
Trip......There must be some confusion, as I don't own a Skyburner Freestylist.

I'm like CaptainBob in that I don't trick much in my piloting. I haven't flown either kite. Which do you prefer?
I choose and buy my kites to trick and don't like to recommend which kite for YOU to buy. I will say this: If you're not going to trick, then you don't need a $300.00+ kite to fly ribbon tails or figure eights.  Wink Myself I think you and Capt. Bob should start tricking.  Wink It's not easy, especially on us "old guys", but it will hold your interest a lot longer than pulling tails. I would be more than happy to send you some video links of some the "trick challenges" I offered to Beginners in this forum. Before you purchase either of the kites you mentioned above, be SURE you know what you are going to do with it, even if it's because of the particular wind you encounter where you fly.   

My apologies np.... I looked back and saw where you stated in your original post that you flew a Freestylist... not own one. However, I wasn't asking which kite you think I should buy, I was asking which YOU prefer. Big difference. I know you don't know me very well, but I don't buy kites on a whim. Before I consider buying any kite, I like to do the research and ask questions.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:58 PM by Trip » Logged

Robert "Trip" Hilliard

Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2014, 01:02 PM »

np... nice Freestylist. On my wishlist is a WM UL, but I find that the stats for the WM UL and the Freestylist UL are about the same. I'm like CaptainBob in that I don't trick much in my piloting. I haven't flown either kite. Which do you prefer?

I have owned both. 

The two kites are similar in style and ability. 
I have own them both, they are more similar than dissimilar.  Both kites can do all the tricks I know.  As your trick skills develop you may outgrow the Freestylist.  For precision flying both will work well.

The WM is a world class kite with a build quality to match. An example is the extensive nose detail to avoid line snags.

The freestylist has a simpler sail design and construction to reduce cost.

np

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2014, 03:56 PM »

However, I wasn't asking which kite you think I should buy, I was asking which YOU prefer. Big difference
My apologies Trip. Hopefully others will be able to give you their preference between the Freestylist UL and the Widowmaker UL. I can however, give you my preference in Flight Straps……….Big difference.

I know you don't know me very well, but I don't buy kites on a whim. Before I consider buying any kite, I like to do the research and ask questions.
Good for you, because impulsively buying sports kites can cost a guy a small fortune.
np

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2014, 05:14 PM »

I'm like CaptainBob in that I don't trick much in my piloting.
I'm a very poor reader, so please disregard my quote below. 

I would be more than happy to send you some video links of some the "trick challenges" I offered to Beginners in this forum.  
Please disregard this offer.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:42 PM by np » Logged
wagsboyz

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2014, 09:54 PM »

Trip,  I own both and I bought the Freestylist from Wayner.  Both the WM UL and Freestylist UL are fantastic kites and as Wayner stated they are very similar.  In your statement you mentioned that tricking is not your thing, not sure if you are wanting to develop into tricking so here is my opinion.  If you want to trick then either kite would be great as they are very capable.  If you don't envision tricking I would recommend looking for a kite targeted at precision.  Depending on your local wind conditions you need to decide on Std., UL, SUL, or Vented.  Lots of great kites out there at reasonable prices to maybe have a variety of the above for varied conditions.

Trip

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2014, 06:22 AM »

Thanks for the info guys.

Robert "Trip" Hilliard

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum