GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 02:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: festivals getting canceled due to funding-what to do about it???  (Read 5000 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« on: July 02, 2009, 11:08 AM »

i know of a few festivals up here int eh New England area that have either been very downsized or canceled outright....and the Bristol fest is (was?) looking at the same...

whats going?
just lack of competition so not as many want to go?
everyone wants to fly by themselves?

then people are going out of their way to help out a UK fest but overlooking the ones here stateside that also need money and support...are they not important/fun/whatever enough for help as well???

i have not competed...nor will i...i love the camaraderie and the flying....have not gone to an auction in awhile (always spent tooo much) but i have donated to the auctions....

rambling thoughts in the rain....
r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 12:00 PM »

It's tough to say this but, for the public, festivals have gotten stale.

20 years ago big kite festivals were still a relatively new thing in the U.S. Sport kites were a VERY new thing for most people. A lot of gee whiz excitement. A lot of money to be made.

What's changed in 20 years?

Not much, at least not much for good.

There are certainly more giant inflatables at many fests, even so, someone coming back to Berkeley after half a dozen years would mainly think "wow, 12 Octopus, they only had 8 last time". To the average Joe, a kite fest hasn't changed much. Except the stunt kites are now called sport kites and they are pretty boring.

Sport kite comps stopped being interesting to spectators long ago. They are no longer a "draw" regardless how big or small the event.

The thing that breaks my heart about festivals, is that to all of the kite people they are as fun as ever. But it's not about the kite people, it's about the real people. The people who come and go "wow" and spend money.

Events that are just for kite people can to be pretty successful. Low budget, low expectations, fun had by all. Even so,  there are less kite people these days, so ANY kite event is harder to make happen.

I don't think there is much that can be done for kite festivals as a whole. Individual events will continue to benefit from location, timing and good promotion, but for a lot of the public there just isn't the WOW there once was.

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Allen, AKA kitehead
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 12:51 PM »

Among the problems in the kite world itself that Allen touched on...well, the economy just sucks.  Businesses are throwing less sponsorship money around, and people have less disposable income.  That doesn't help.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 02:20 PM »

funny how in Europe they can draw many 10's of thousands of people and here....maybe 100 spectators

"Do what you like"
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 04:14 PM »

funny how in Europe they can draw many 10's of thousands of people and here....maybe 100 spectators

Apples???  Oranges???   

Undecided    Lips sealed

ATB,
Sam
DWayne

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 04:34 PM »

Maybe the Europeans are better at organizing and promoting their festivals.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
kiteking

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 05:12 PM »

Could it be that too many people want to make a profit?

Maybe the events need to get back to the beginning again. Get the City,County, State parks/recreation involved. Work it with volunteers and a few merchants/concessions Get the local Scouts, Boy/girl clubs, school districts, summer programs stores, to donate material/food/drink. Work in conjunction with back sales, craft fairs,

Just a thought

When we had festivals in Tucson, the only real expense was the AKA insurance, and the candy for the drop

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 05:21 PM »

The festival which prompted this thread is in England...

But I do think there is a cultural aspect to festivals that isn't the fit it used to be here in the US. I'll go out on a limb and diagnose a bit.

Kites are a whimsical, frivolous entertainment. You gotta be in the right frame of mind to get a kick out of a kite. We've been a nation at war for 8 years now (the incoming Bush administration had us in war mode long before 9/11). Maybe, just maybe, we'll lighten up a bit sometime soon.

But beyond doom and gloom, we've got so many other diversions in our lives that kites have more competition than ever before. We just have a lot on our plates (good & bad).

Allen, AKA kitehead
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 06:31 PM »

I've only been at this a few years now, but I think more marketing would help.

Not even expensive marketing, just simple stuff.  Like a big sign near the vendor demo areas that says something like "step up and try this kite out", or "free lessons". 

Typically, you are on a big beach with tons of people around and alot going on - it's confusing to those that don't already know what is going on.  I think more people would get interested by trying a kite and then likely buying one, getting hooked, and attending festivals.

It's fun to watch great flying, but flying themselves will bring them back again and again.

6 kite tom
RonG
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 07:03 PM »

Here we go again...

First in with "let's get kites into the Olympics"!

Roll Eyes
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 09:34 PM »

I just got home from work.

While waiting for the subway to pull into the last stop, I saw these guys seating in a car, Six of them, at the Sunoco. Everyone of them had a mobile device they were playing with while they waited for the attendant to finish filling the tank.

That, in a nutshell, is it.

Roll Eyes
mikenchico

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 09:42 PM »

In Europe people will stand by the side of the road for hours to watch some bike riders cruise by. I think it's great, they get off the couch, outside, enjoy the camaraderie, enjoy the event, praise the competitors.

Here you drop the kids off at soccer and run back home to _ _ _ _ _ ??

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 09:50 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 10:01 PM »

i go hiking 30 min. from Los angeles and see no 1 i fly the uncrowded beaches of S. CA and see no kites most of the country sitting on there fat a___s is good because it keeps the quite places quite but it is obviously not good for outdoor sports except for a plague called soccer sorry cleats and grass dont get along IMO  any way i guess what i am trying to say is and i second the motion lets get kitting in the olympics!!!! ps if you love soccer dont hate thanx KO

have fun kurt
indigo_wolf

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 10:23 PM »

In Europe people will stand by the side of the road for hours to watch some bike riders cruise by. I think it's great, they get off the couch, outside, enjoy the camaraderie, enjoy the event, praise the competitors.

Here you drop the kids off at soccer and run back home to _ _ _ _ _ ??
They do something similar in the United States.... they're called the Boston Marathon, the NYC Marathon, and the 5 Boro Bike Tour.... I am sure there are similar events in other parts of the country.

ATB,
Sam
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 10:27 PM »

I just got home from work.

While waiting for the subway to pull into the last stop, I saw these guys seating in a car, Six of them, at the Sunoco. Everyone of them had a mobile device they were playing with while they waited for the attendant to finish filling the tank.

That, in a nutshell, is it.

Roll Eyes

So,  you're saying they don't have gas station attendants in Europe?

Maybe, but we don't have 'em here either, so I don't think that's it.   Smiley

Pansyass New Yorkers...

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document