GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 07:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: festivals getting canceled due to funding-what to do about it???  (Read 4873 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 12:31 AM »

Mmm. No. More People, than in the past, would rather drive around in their cars, these days, and play with their electronics. Or sit and watch TV. Or web surf.

We have become a remarkably sedentary nation.

I just got home from work.

While waiting for the subway to pull into the last stop, I saw these guys seating in a car, Six of them, at the Sunoco. Everyone of them had a mobile device they were playing with while they waited for the attendant to finish filling the tank.

That, in a nutshell, is it.

Roll Eyes

So,  you're saying they don't have gas station attendants in Europe?

Maybe, but we don't have 'em here either, so I don't think that's it.   Smiley

Pansyass New Yorkers...
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 07:37 AM »

"Vancouver 2010" (winter Games) only 223 days away, wont be closer anytime soon

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 08:09 AM »

then people are going out of their way to help out a UK fest but overlooking the ones here stateside that also need money and support...are they not important/fun/whatever enough for help as well???
On The International Kite Festival Circuit™ there are a few crown jewels - Bristol is one of them. Seeing as Revolution (a US firm) celebrated their 20th anniversary at the 2008 event I see that they have tried to assist with the 2009 event once it became apparent that there was a problem. And that is tremendously good of them. Furthermore Bristol regularly invites name US flyers over to entertain the crowds, so I can see those people wishing to help out.

So that's why US concerns support a non-US festival covered. Why they don't support US festivals (as much as you'd like, to the same extent, etc.) isn't something I could answer.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 08:48 AM »

Here we go again...

First in with "let's get kites into the Olympics"!

Roll Eyes

Ahhhh he beat me to it

Sine Metu!
DGomberg
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 08:56 AM »

Good thread! Hope we get some constructive suggestions.

Why is Europe more successful? Short answer – because it is in Europe. Longer answer? Much more congested population. More vacation time. People live in apartments in town and can’t wait to go out anywhere on the weekend. We live in the suburbs and want to cut the grass and watch the game on weekends…

Also, the larger events there have paid staff who work the media for months in advance and often benefit from government/tourism budgets that subsidize the costs of bringing in fliers/performers.

Now that said – I see plenty of events drawing crowds here. Long Beach/Zilker/Berkeley come to mind. Even little Lincoln City – two hours from nowhere – drew several thousand people. I believe they benefit from longevity, momentum, and a bit of media. People are used to going and know what to expect.

Same old show? Respectfully, I don’t buy that. I’d still go see the Stones if they came to town.

What I do see faltering are the events that put the bulk of their resources and volunteers into competitions that are facing a host of participation and excitement challenges. And I say that with great sadness, but I believe it is true.

What to do?  Well, first of all, you don’t need a crowd and a sound system and a permit to have fun. A bunch of friends in an open space or regular club flies satisfies much of what we are looking for.

Success? Success is relative. I’ve been to plenty of “smaller” events, like Jamestown and Swift Current, where the kite show was the biggest thing going on in  a smaller community and people looked forward to it for months.

Big crowds? We do well piggy-backing on events that already have a public – like balloon fest and air shows.

Making lots of money? Yeah right…..

David
indigo_wolf

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 09:26 AM »

Big crowds? We do well piggy-backing on events that already have a public – like balloon fest and air shows.

David

Thank you.... I was kind of wondering why people seem to omit the fact that Dieppe is part of a larger event.

With a few notable exceptions, a lot of kiting in the US doesn't happen in the public eye and then people grouse that it isn't more popular. 

The funny thing is that a lot of kite retailers have figured this out a long time ago.... I suspect that GKPI sells windfeathers and branded items to folks that aren't strictly speaking a part of the kiting community.

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 09:30 AM by indigo_wolf » Logged
kiteking

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 09:28 AM »

Good thread! Hope we get some constructive suggestions.

Success? Success is relative. I’ve been to plenty of “smaller” events, like Jamestown and Swift Current, where the kite show was the biggest thing going on in  a smaller community and people looked forward to it for months.

David

Kite Party 1-7?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 09:31 AM by kiteking » Logged

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 11:06 AM »

I don't think KP has been a destination event for spectators in the past. There are a lot of people around the pier on a sunny weekend regardless.

Kite Party is the kind of event I was referring to that's primarily for kite people, not the public. Over the years Dave has made it more of a public event, which is fine, but it would still happen (and we'd have as much fun) if there was no sound system and demos. Dave could take up a collection to cover the cost of prepping the beach and we'd all do pretty much the same things we always do, which includes playing to the people on the pier.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 11:08 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 11:23 AM »

Same old show? Respectfully, I don’t buy that. I’d still go see the Stones if they came to town.

Oh come on! You have to admit that kite festivals were a new thing in the '70s and '80s. They are NOT a new thing any more. I'm not talking at a individual level, a person's first kite festival is whatever that person makes it, but at a cultural level. There's not the collective "Wow!" that there was.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong or broken with kite festivals, it's just that they are what they are. There's not as much mass appeal as in the past.

The evolution of sport kite comps had an impact. A portion of the public enjoyed watching comps in the old days with teams, trains, pairs, really flamboyant, easy to "get" old skool ballet flying. It was a combination of something new and something entertaining. The newness and the entertainment factors dwindled to below critical mass (for spectators) by the end of the '90s.

Allen, AKA kitehead
DGomberg
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 11:37 AM »

The newness and the entertainment factors dwindled to below critical mass (for spectators) by the end of the '90s.

The events I'm seeing have more "wow factor" than ever before.

There are more of the big show kites and more people flying them in groups. There are more family activities -- like Bol Racing. And everywhere I go, I'm seeing groups of fliers with Revs entertaining the crowd.

Maybe we're going to different festivals, Allen, or perhaps we see things differently. And I sure do miss the Sport Kite Teams. But I'm seeing as much or more entertainment than ever before.

David
kiteking

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 11:42 AM »

Kite Party is the kind of event I was referring to that's primarily for kite people, not the public.

Maybe the events need to get back to the beginning again.

When we had festivals in Tucson, the only real expense was the AKA insurance, and the candy for the drop

If you can get the kitefliers to come and have a great time, then if the spectators show up then that's great also.

Why do you need a huge group watching?

My thought, first get the fliers, then try to get the spectators

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

indigo_wolf

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2009, 11:55 AM »

There's not as much mass appeal as in the past.

I humbly submit that you can't really have mass appeal, if the masses are generally ignorant of kites outside of the diamond/eddy kite.

ATB,
Sam
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2009, 06:43 PM »

... but for a lot of the public there just isn't the WOW there once was.

This assumes you are always aiming for the same public that you were originally.  If "Sesame Street" or "Disney" were looking to cater for their original audience, they would have died long ago.  There are only a few people in their late 30's and early 40's who watch children's television regularly in preference to adult programming.

It doesn't matter whether I'm flying in the local park, at a regional festival or an event in another country, the people who stop and stare and go "Wow!" are predominantly children 10 years and under.  They drag their parents, grandparents, whoever with them and engage...enthusiastically.

The Adelaide Kite Flyers Association have run a successful international event for nearly 20 years.  In all that time they have consistently targeted school children with kite workshops, and preschoolers by tying in with the local children's TV entertainment.  "See Humphrey Bear at the annual kite festival..."  When kids ask their parents "Can we go to the kite festival?" they drag along more than one parent, it brings the entire family.

Maybe that family will only go two or three years in a row, but by then there are more young families (humans haven't stopped breeding yet!).

You don't have to target a different audience to get a new audience.  Just target the same audience that renews itself.  I've seen it work in many countries (and of course, not just for kite festivals)

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+67)

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2009, 06:54 PM »

Here's my 2 cents..

I think that combining kite festivals with other events are a good thing. (we'll see how well that works out tomorrow, we have joined efforts with the Treasure Island 4th of July event)

Also we need to keep in mind that it's the same people that have been putting on the kite festivals for years. Speaking for myself.. I get a little tired of doing all the work myself... we need more people to step up to the plate and help.. it's a lot of work to put on a festival. Everyone wants to come and fly but no one wants to build the fields, announce, run the auctions, go to the city meetings to get the permits, set up the sound system, book the hotels.. I could go on..

If you want to see more festivals in your area start doing something about it.
1 Start a kite club
2 Have some fundraisers
3 Talk to the park and rec departments in your area
4 Support you local kite shops

It doesn't take a lot of money to get a festival going. it takes a lot of foot work!!

Sherri

Steve & Sherri
kiteking

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2009, 07:33 PM »

If you want to see more festivals in your area start doing something about it.

It doesn't take a lot of money to get a festival going. it takes a lot of foot work!!

Sherri

I agree that a good local event need not cost (alot of ) money, but does requires labor to be a success. Everyone who comes to fly should also signup for various jobs needed to be done. I am always  assisting, what better to meet more/new people, whether they be fliers or someone new that I can get excited about this great sport/hobby.

Sherri, I hope to get out your way one of these years and will expect a list of duties.

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document