GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 01:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: festivals getting canceled due to funding-what to do about it???  (Read 5287 times)
trumpet
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2009, 08:24 PM »

Having the AKA Nationals in Gettysburg, Pa. should be noted as little if no help for generating any intrest in kite flying. You could'nt get the competitors interest.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2009, 08:54 PM »

I wouldnt count the Convention as a festival. Its all about AKA people, not civilians. Great event, but not really what we're talking about.

Allen, AKA kitehead
trumpet

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2009, 10:41 PM »

With the state of kiting like it is, I would think that any public interest would be welcomed in any format. When you can't generate the kite flyers to respond, well....
mikenchico
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2009, 12:14 AM »

Maybe the secret isn't to hold a "Festival" for kite flyers but a public event like our "Kite Day" to welcome in Spring. This year we had horrendous winds over 25 MPH that would keep most people inside but the attendance at our little 4 hour event was estimated at 5,000 people in a community of 85,000. Not bad IMO. Better years have seen 10,000.

It's sponsored by a local shop who's owner was very much interested in kiting in the 1980's and named his business appropriately. Now kites are a very small part of his business but he continues to do Kite Day. He has gained the sponsorship of a local radio station and the city's sports and recreation dept. so he gets some unpaid advertising and the city has insurance in place for public events in the city parks. Keyword PUBLIC, not kite enthusiasts only. Bob makes up buttons that are given to everyone who attends and gives away a kite each morning during the week prior over the radio station to 'caller number _ _' on his way to work.

People aren't invited to watch, they aren't held back by ropes, they are invited to JOIN IN.

Newspaper article from this year

We also get TV news coverage since 1/10 of the population is there it's big news.

Just a thought

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ben dantonio

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2009, 11:14 AM »

There many good idea's here, we as a body just need to make it happen, one of the things
is when there's smoke let's not wait till it's a fire..... When I learned Bristol was in trouble
I took it on to help and it did not matter where it was it was someone or some thing that
needed my help.... I go to a lot of events and I always try to give back to the event any way
I can because I love this sport.... This raffle thing is my time and my work with the help of
many of my friends and peers who wanted to help... In this instance I had enough time to
make something happen and even if I hate my self later for saying this " if any event gives
me enough time I will help them if they are in trouble" I don't know how but I will always
try to make something happen.... So many of you helped me and guided me when I first started
kiting how could I not give back in some small way..... Ben from Revolution
Revgod

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 10:30 PM »

Kite Party 1-7?

SHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Steve's CTR
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2009, 08:04 AM »

Dave I was referring to the format not the location or date

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

fuw3

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 12:21 PM »

One of the problems seems to be the PR end of it.  My wife has friends who have lived in the Bay Area for decades and never heard of the Berkeley Kite Festival!  She made a comment that in Singapore pretty much everyone knows about special events and festivals because they are all very well publicized.  Granted, Singapore is a tiny island so there is only so many places you can go on the weekend but still.

Wayne
Prism Junkie
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change