GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 11:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Little' Monster build Completed w/photos!  (Read 1534 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 01:03 PM »

Update: Printed out the .pdf pattern yesterday and made all the construction board templates! It was a tough decision on which color combo to go with. I think I would have been happy with any of the 6 original ones. The 'Tony the Tiger' Orange, Yellow, & Black combo one that John came up with might be a future build! Some kite color combos look much, much better after being built and seen in the blue sky than they look on paper! I had to make a decision in order to start cutting the ripstop panels out and I already had all the colors for the 'original' six choices. In the end, it was a toss-up between #3 and #6. I decided to go with #6. I like the wing tips of a kite to stand out somewhat from the kite in flight. It makes rotational tricks much more appealing to the eyes, IMO and I thought the red panels on #3 might have diminished that visual effect. Right now all the panels have been cut out. I just have the TE molar reinforcement pieces to cut out before I begin assembling the panels on the pattern!

P.S. Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention that I slightly reduced the kite size before having the pattern printed out! I went with a 94% reduction which brought the kite's wing span to a similar one to all the kites I prefer to fly! When finished, it should have about a 4-5" smaller wing span than the full 2.4 meter size.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:08 PM by photogbill » Logged
photogbill

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 06:16 PM »

Another update:

All panels & mylar reinforcements have been seam taped together and my Monster is ready for sewing to begin. That'll have to wait until tomorrow night after work. Starting to get excited. I think it's going to look even better when it's finished than I had imagined!

stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 09:06 PM »

Should look good...

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
photogbill

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 06:40 PM »

Should look good...

Thanks Steve! Sail is now completely finished! I'll be cutting rods and making the bridle tomorrow!  Grin
stapp59

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 07:55 PM »

Do post a pic of the finished kite and how you like it...

Thanks Steve! Sail is now completely finished! I'll be cutting rods and making the bridle tomorrow!  Grin
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:17 PM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana

photogbill

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 08:56 PM »

Do post a pic of the finished kite and how you like it...

I will Steve! One Question since you've built a couple Monsters. I'm trying to understand the 'nose-piece' build. It looks like there is a horizontal sewing line across the top-center of the nose 10mm/1cm down from the leading edge which keeps the spine rod below the top edge of the nose? Is that correct?
stapp59

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 09:40 PM »

Yes the plans do show the horizontal sew line on the nose much like the Benson Superfly.  I don't think that is as important as insuring the LE fittings, center T, and standoffs are centered as shown by the green circles on the plans.  This will insure the correct frame geometry.  I first assembled the kite with the fitting stoppers pushed on the frame but not glued, then moved the fittings and T around until correct, marked the locations with a sharpie, took everything apart, glued the stoppers, and put it back together.   

Steve, Dana, and Kirjin can chime in...

One Question since you've built a couple Monsters. I'm trying to understand the 'nose-piece' build. It looks like there is a horizontal sewing line across the top-center of the nose 10mm/1cm down from the leading edge which keeps the spine rod below the top edge of the nose? Is that correct?

Steve in Indiana

photogbill

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 10:33 PM »

Yes the plans do show the horizontal sew line on the nose much like the Benson Superfly.  I don't think that is as important as insuring the LE fittings, center T, and standoffs are centered as shown by the green circles on the plans.  This will insure the correct frame geometry.  I first assembled the kite with the fitting stoppers pushed on the frame but not glued, then moved the fittings and T around until correct, marked the locations with a sharpie, took everything apart, glued the stoppers, and put it back together.   

Steve, Dana, and Kirjin can chime in...

One Question since you've built a couple Monsters. I'm trying to understand the 'nose-piece' build. It looks like there is a horizontal sewing line across the top-center of the nose 10mm/1cm down from the leading edge which keeps the spine rod below the top edge of the nose? Is that correct?

Thanks Steve. I assumed that the center line in green circles on the plans indicated the point at which the spreaders would intersect the leading edge. If I use that reference point and center my spreader connectors at that point ...will that give me the designed proper frame geometry?
stapp59

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 04:34 AM »

The plans are not specific on that detail so I went with center of fittings.  I used APA on the LEs.  Studying the various pics out there, my builds look about right but I could have guessed incorrectly. Build notes would help reduce ambiguity.  Even better to have an assembled known good kite on hand to refer.  Not always possible of course.

I hope other builders chime in...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:46 AM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana

DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 04:48 AM »

I transferred the mark to the leading edge as marked.  I marked it on the P 31 then when I taped the Dacron to the LE I used a pin to mark the exact site then marked the pin spot with silver sharpie.  I used this mark to center the APA on it  I will post a pic for you a bit later. 

If you look at Derefats other plans that have build notes he centers the APA on this mark.

http://users.skynet.be/cerfvolanttrick/organic/cotes_800px.jpg
stapp59

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2014, 04:56 AM »

Thanks for the post Dana!  The Organic notes don't leave much to chance. 

I transferred the mark to the leading edge as marked.  I marked it on the P 31 then when I taped the Dacron to the LE I used a pin to mark the exact site then marked the pin spot with silver sharpie.  I used this mark to center the APA on it  I will post a pic for you a bit later. 

If you look at Derefats other plans that have build notes he centers the APA on this mark.

http://users.skynet.be/cerfvolanttrick/organic/cotes_800px.jpg

Steve in Indiana

DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 05:44 AM »

The awl is pointing to the silver mark. The apa is centred on this mark.
photogbill

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2014, 07:08 AM »

The awl is pointing to the silver mark. The apa is centred on this mark.

Thanks a million! That should make framing much easier for me I'm about to begin cutting my rods after I have some breakfast.

I also like the way you did your LE cut-outs for the rods. I have seen that method before but have not tried it with my builds yet. I have been cutting mine differently and I like the neatness factor with the way you have done yours.
photogbill

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2014, 12:43 PM »

Here's a few final photos of my 'Little' Monster (94% build). I think it is my best work to date! I decided to go with a Std. frame for starters. I also decided to use white thread throughout most of the kite after seeing another builder's kite using it and am very glad I did!

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2014, 02:05 PM »

Very nice.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum