GWTW Forum
September 21, 2014, 09:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Little' Monster build Completed w/photos!  (Read 1242 times)
DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2014, 04:02 PM »

Very nice.  Smiley

I agree looks great!
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2014, 04:56 PM »

Yep looks good.  Interested to hear how you like her...

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2014, 05:27 PM »

Very nice.  Smiley

I agree looks great!

Yep looks good.  Interested to hear how you like her...

Thanks guys! Turned out even better looking than I expected. The white thread really sets it off. Looks great in flight ...and as some might have expected looks a little like a tiger's face looking down at you ..even with the R,W, B color combo.

Just got back from my maiden flight with it but the winds weren't very good so I'll need a trip to the beach before I know exactly where it falls in the flying order. In general it looks like it's going to be a fun kite to fly. As others have mentioned it really likes to roll up ...sometimes even when you aren't even trying or expecting it. Flap jacks and JLs are there ...but can't I judge the quality of the JLs yet, with the choppy and gusty winds I had today. At one point, I pulled off a nice yo-fade that was pretty stable rolled up in a fade. Insanes are nice. Does cascades. Flick- flacks, over-rotated flick flacks, and flick-flack roll-ups are very easily done! Waiting for better wind to make a judgment on how well I like it's Taz. It does seem to need a little more wind to power up than some standard wind kites I have &/or flown ...and for a smaller kite (remember I reduced size by 94%) had a fair amount of pull, not overly ...but not what I would call light on the lines either. I might just try reframing it as an UL after all. I also realized late that the spine rod might just need to be trimmed down a little which will raise the 20gr ( I used a heavy piece of strapping material that weighed 5 grams as well so the tail had 25gr of weight on it.  I suspect that shortening the spine rod a little might take some of the quirkiness out of it. It does some wacky recovery stuff in flight. That may not be a bad thing. It certainly was fun to watch.

sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2014, 01:15 PM »

Why the size reduction?
mr wojtas
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2014, 02:43 PM »

Here's a few final photos of my 'Little' Monster (94% build). I think it is my best work to date! I decided to go with a Std. frame for starters. I also decided to use white thread throughout most of the kite after seeing another builder's kite using it and am very glad I did!

First off all, very,very sharp kite!!!!
Second, i really love your panel lay-out with the black patches instead of mylar
Third, i've spotted a difference in the nose section.. According to the plan the spine is 10 mm shorter. In the nose the spine is lowered, this is allowing the leading edges to come closer together. This creates more sail depth. Maybe something to look at..

Also love the white thread Grin
photogbill

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2014, 06:08 PM »

Why the size reduction?

First, I have a propensity for prefering the 7' plus size kites. Just a hunch that I'd like it better than the full size version. I had read the kite's original size was a 2.4 sail and I don't usually gel with kites that large. I had previously built a full size Sixth Sense and was surprised how much I liked it but it behaved differently, IMO than most larger kites I have flown.I also built a couple reduced size SSs which I liked equally if not a little more.
After flying my reduced size Monster, I was convinced I made the right decision. It had a more pull than I typically like in a kite. I would imagine the full sized one would have significantly greater pull on the kite lines.
photogbill

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2014, 06:24 PM »

First off all, very,very sharp kite!!!!
Second, i really love your panel lay-out with the black patches instead of mylar
Third, i've spotted a difference in the nose section.. According to the plan the spine is 10 mm shorter. In the nose the spine is lowered, this is allowing the leading edges to come closer together. This creates more sail depth. Maybe something to look at..

Also love the white thread Grin

Thank you for the kind words! As for the nose difference. I noticed the plans difference before framing, when I could have easily made the change and inquired about it here on the form. The reply I got suggested it was less of a problem than was being sure I had the spreader connectors in the correct positions so I decided to fly it as built and consider making the change at a later time. After having a couple CTCs that were built with similar nose 'cups' ...and which I had difficulty connecting with ...especially with doing flick-flacks (the kite would just 'die' when you tried to pull it back into a fade position, from the flare position)...Not knowing any other reason for that issue, I attributed it ...rightly or wrongly ...to that particular nose design. It might have had nothing to do with the flick-flack issue.

And ...I agree with the 'white thread' LOVE! It's the first time I had sewn a kite with all white thread like that ...and I can promise...it won't be the last time!  Grin
mr wojtas
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 09:47 AM »

The nose 'cup' does seems to effect the fade. It gets more stable and harder to get out off. With my Sixth Sense's i've lowered the topspreader for the same reason you've altered the lil' monster's nose.

As for the white thread, i'd love to use it one my next build. Perhaps a Magnet is coming up  Wink
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 11:28 AM »

??  Not sure we're referring to the same issue here.  In question was the 20 mm wide stitching across the spine pocket 10 mm down from the nose.  The presence or absence of that seam will not appreciably change the position of the leading edge spars in the nose pockets nor the overall shape of the nose.  That seam does allow a narrow nose to fold up a little easier when packing up the kite.

Of course how far the spine slides into the nose webbing will be affected.  Compensations may be needed to insure the spine length and center T position are as intended. 

Moving the upper spreader connectors relative to the overall sail would change the effective length of the upper spreader and would affect the nose shape.

The nose 'cup' does seems to effect the fade. It gets more stable and harder to get out off. With my Sixth Sense's i've lowered the topspreader for the same reason you've altered the lil' monster's nose.

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document