GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 01:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No wind can be fun  (Read 1841 times)
oldflyer
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: July 02, 2009, 02:38 PM »

I managed to get an hour’s flying during my lunch break the other day. The wind was completely non-existent and I nearly didn’t bother trying to fly. However, I hooked the old Prism Ozone onto a short line set and had a brilliant time with it!

I have been trying to master two new tricks for a while. I have no idea what they are called but I got on reasonably well with them in no wind. The first trick involves putting the kite into a fade and then floating the fade by walking backwards. The Ozone loved this trick! The second trick involves flying to the top of the window, putting the kite into a tight spin, letting the lines go slack and then catching the kite as it falls out of the sky. I find this much harder to pull off!

Both tricks are shown in the following video. It’s only three minutes long. It shows lots of floaty axels, a 360, three of the ‘drifting fades’ and one of the ‘helicopter spin catches’.

I would welcome your views on what these tricks are actually called. Your advice on how I can do them more consistently would also be appreciated!

I hope you enjoy the short video.

www.vimeo.com/5428805

Good winds to you all!

Nigel  Smiley
moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 05:38 PM »

Very nice. Music, an Iz remake, also very nice. Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 08:55 PM by moegeo » Logged

Say Good Night Dick
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 06:04 PM »

That was enjoyable.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 06:32 PM »

My only suggestion is to just keep flying.

Enjoyed the music but the big man (bless his soul) sang it better

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 08:53 PM »

My only suggestion is to just keep flying.

Enjoyed the music but the big man (bless his soul) sang it better

Amen Brother

Say Good Night Dick
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 10:28 PM »

So give us clueless ones a link

Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole 'IZ' 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' HQ

get it while you can, the "official" version is disabled already courtesy of WMG

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 10:41 PM »

Oh, and back on thread,

Nice Nigel, enjoyed it, the kite flying right through the camera like that was sweet.

I'd say the first trick your trying is simply called a Rising Fade.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 09:00 AM »

Back to the music, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's rendition is unbelievable, big man great voice.

I came upon this duet a while ago, the story behind it is almost as good as the song.

Katie Melua & Eva Cassidy - Somewhere over the Rainbow

On Christmas Eve 2006, Katie performed alongside video footage of Cassidy singing Over
The Rainbow on BBC One's "Duet Impossible".

Eva Marie Cassidy (February 2, 1963 – November 2, 1996)was an American vocalist, known for her interpretations of jazz, blues, folk, gospel, country and pop classics. In 1992 she released her first album, The Other Side, a set of duets with go-go musician Chuck Brown, followed by a live solo album, Live at Blues Alley in 1996. Cassidy was virtually unknown outside her native Washington, DC when she died of melanoma in 1996.

Katie Melua (born 16 September 1984) is a Georgian/British singer, songwriter and musician.
She was born in Georgia, but moved to Northern Ireland at the age of eight and then relocated
to England at the age of 14. Melua is signed to the small Dramatico record label, under the
management of songwriter Mike Batt,and made her musical debut in 2003. In 2006, she was the
United Kingdom's biggest-selling female artist and Europe's highest selling European female artist.

More Katie Melua, Eva Cassidy -
What A Wonderful World

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 09:25 AM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

John Welden

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 12:43 PM »

Nice to see the ozone flying.  Great kite and lots of fun.

Suggestion for your 360's :

Try walking backwards instead of the walk/run forwards with your hands to the side.   Lock the kite in a horizontal ground pass and start walking backwards with your arms extended in front of you. One of the keys is to take long steps instead of lots of short ones.  Nice long, smooth steps backwards.

With your arms extended you have the option to sweep back if you have to. 

Try to trust that the kite is going to make it all the way around even when it seems like it can't go any slower. 

This video shows what I'm talking about. 
A Vapor Video by John Welden
   Same thing can be done with the ozone, no problem.

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 01:16 PM »

Mr. Welden.

If ever there was a flyer style I wish I had, it is yours. Love that video.  Smiley

And I enjoyed the originally posted video along with music choice.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 03:40 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
damp_weather

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 02:21 PM »

John (Wheldon),

I think that you have managed to convince me that the Vapor really was an exceptional light wind kite. 
I have only been flying for 2 to 3 years, but much of that has been in light winds.  Besides some SULs I have a Benson Inner Space and an original (pre 2000?) Prism Ozone to play with.  The Inner Space is my favourite, simply because it is so little effort to fly in the lightest of winds.  And if the wind was really zero, perhaps I could do what you are recommending for walking backwards - just perhaps.  But there is usually a little draft say 1/2 to 1mph or a fraction more, and enough eddies that I go a little faster for half the 360 circle and have to turn around away from the kite.  Or to put it another way, I have failed in 360s far too often from going too slowly.
The Prism Ozone is that little bit less floaty and needs that little bit more speed.  So Nigel, I reckon you did pretty well.

Perhaps I need to spend time practicing walking smoothly backwards faster.  Wind meter measurements suggest that ~2mph is the current limit before I start tripping up Roll Eyes

Peter
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 02:51 PM by damp_weather » Logged
oldflyer

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 03:35 PM »

Thank you all so much for your feedback. It's very much appreciated!!!!!!!!

I love that version of the song by Israel - many thanks for the link to the YouTube video of him.

Grin
John Welden

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 11:29 PM »

John (Wheldon),

I think that you have managed to convince me that the Vapor really was an exceptional light wind kite. 
I have only been flying for 2 to 3 years, but much of that has been in light winds.  Besides some SULs I have a Benson Inner Space and an original (pre 2000?) Prism Ozone to play with.  The Inner Space is my favourite, simply because it is so little effort to fly in the lightest of winds.  And if the wind was really zero, perhaps I could do what you are recommending for walking backwards - just perhaps.  But there is usually a little draft say 1/2 to 1mph or a fraction more, and enough eddies that I go a little faster for half the 360 circle and have to turn around away from the kite.  Or to put it another way, I have failed in 360s far too often from going too slowly.
The Prism Ozone is that little bit less floaty and needs that little bit more speed.  So Nigel, I reckon you did pretty well.

Perhaps I need to spend time practicing walking smoothly backwards faster.  Wind meter measurements suggest that ~2mph is the current limit before I start tripping up Roll Eyes

Peter

In tricky wind conditions, those super slow 360's can be difficult to impossible.  Sometimes you'll have to run or do whatever you've got to do get the kite around.  Sometimes I abort and try and get back around if it's not too late.  A lot of times I run out of energy and have to give up.

With that said, try to lock in the horizontal ground pass and concentrate on a nice smooth walk backwards.  Try to trust that the kite is going to make it around, even when it seems impossible. The same thing goes for a 360 side slide, you've just got to be smooth and stick with it.  I seem to pay more attention to walking backwards than I do to the kite.  Once the kite is locked in, you should only need minor corrections to keep it going.

I've found that non kite flyers seem to really appreciate the 360. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document