GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 07:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solus std at the Beach  (Read 502 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: July 24, 2014, 07:22 AM »

Spent the other day at the Beach.  Wind was out of the south off the water.  8 mph steady all day.  Spent the time Practicing and practicing.  Cascades, Roll ups ,axels and double axels... This kite is so tuned in to flying it almost fly's itself... enjoy.

Beach Time

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:45 AM »

Just another suggestion - you maybe know this already - when the kite was in the central part of the window at 45* it was SINKING slightly and it was not wind fluctuations as the wind was OFF THE WATER SMOOTH (PERFECT CONDITIONS FOR YOUR SPOT) - you stayed with the UL where it seemed the SUL was the proper? choice ... Maybe the reason was --- Its a new kite ... its your favorite kite ... I think at this point you should be asking yourself: One of the goals of two line kiting is to trick as easy as I can with both manual inputs and minimal foot movement (2/3 steps forward/backward MAX) ... its obvious that the further down the $$$ chain one goes the more work and the less VERSATILE a kite will be with ALL the tricks - I assume for the UL and SUL you are using 50# test line? To give it more floatability and therefore less PILOT work ... so to speak. I reserve 90# line JUST for the Standard.
My only reason is I met ALOT of older Pilots that went from duals to quad because it was too much MORE work.

APJ
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 07:56 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
vertigo2u

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:05 AM »

I have been flying on 75' and 60' footers for that reason... It's getting to the point I don't move fast enough.  I barley move when doing a 540... compared to earlier 540's.  Getting there...

The Solus I am flying is my Std.  It fly's in high or low wind... I tried my Widow Maker ul that day and didn't like the way it handled. Had to change the bridle almost all the way up. I always work on transferring inputs to different kites.  btw I was using 100' #150 line set with the Std.  that day...

However Yes,  I always go to #50 line sets either 60' or 75'.... I rarely use my 100' #50 lines.  I also got 75'#100 sets...

Thanks for your input I appreciate your insight... It can only help...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:06 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:24 AM »

Every summer I usually SNAP two or three 50# line sets ... SO WHAT ... I always force it down to the lightest lines possible ... it seems then there is LESS resistance in the lines during wraps/unwraps and during twisting of the lines when comparing 50# to 90# ... I do the same with the kite until the wing tips tend to flutter a bit (i.e., too much wind). Whatever ... let the WIND do ALL the work ... IMO. Wow 150# ... I remember at Wildwood one year a beginner stunt kiter had 125' X 150 # in 10-12 mph winds ... it was like tricking an ELEPHANT ... but he liked the DEAD SLOW response time ... I think your flying in both KITE and Line is READY for LIGHTER and THINNER respectively. The last time I used 125# lines was at some Precision Competition at some AKA event ... ENUF said ...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.

APJ
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:26 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
vertigo2u

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 09:47 AM »

Snapping #50 lines.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Yea, after I snapped two sets I had one set...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy.  I usually leave those heavy lines in the bag.  It was just that day.  I am a believer in #50 lines.  It makes flying easier.  Lighter feeling.  Those I think they are #125 not #150 if I said that...  Like flying elephant ...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Devin got into using heavy lines.  Kid likes to fly in 90 mph winds.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy.
wind is around 8/9 mph out of the North today.  I am getting ready to go tot he Beach.  The wind isn't southerly so it will be coming over the trees and buildings.  But the view of the water is always peaceful.  Regardless of wind I will fly on #100 today or less as the day progresses.  Almost 1:00pm Michigan time... The wind should fall off at the end of the day.... Packing up my gear time to go...
p.s.- I will also fly a Ul until the wing tips flutter... Thanks John

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:49 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

BrianS
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 08:33 PM »

Thanks for posting the video -- it makes me want to get out there and fly Smiley

It looks like you're really getting the inputs for the Solus dialed in. Don't forget to practice those axels with both the Left and Right hands.

The Solus is one kite I haven't yet had a chance to try, so I'll be keeping my eye out for one when I'm out on the local fields. Is yours the comp version? It seems to be getting a lot of good buzz on the forums.
Trip

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 06:33 AM »

Yeah.... that's what I need to see... an excellent kite video in July when the winds are nothing around here. I've spent the last two weeks frying eggs on the pavement and trying to keep my grass alive. Thanks for stirring my kite soul vertigo.  Cheesy  Cheesy

Nice vid btw.

I've spent this down time expanding my kitebag. Not made of money so we'll see how it goes. So far I've purchased 3 kites and a Prism bag...all used of course. This stuff's addictive.   Huh
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 09:19 AM by Trip » Logged

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 10:45 AM »

Hi ,
thanks for the video.
I have question about those double axles.
First You tug for the axle.... and when the nose past away You hit a opposite hand -like taz mashine pull.
So it will be: half axle.... nose away and taz mashine!
Am I correct?
Thanks, best , Boris
vertigo2u

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 11:43 AM »

Hi Boris,

Some of those I gave an extra tug as it went around.  But the tug has to be when the nose is pointed upward and give it a Good Tug and Plenty of slack... without the slack it's a no go...

This was yesterday with My Ocius Ul..notice the nose... also took my Solus swimming at the end.

saprano

vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 10:59 PM »

Thanks, I will try....
vertigo2u

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 01:48 PM »

I am a Huge believer of my Solus std.  Since Devin did the bridle adjustment on this kite... There are days I just can't put it down.  His design that includes a large sail area seem to be the thing for me.  It is larger than a Widow Maker and holds more air.  Once you allow yourself to feel that change you can let her do what he designed her for.  His famous words are "...let the kite finish and see what it will do.  Just give it slack...".

The only thing I don't like about my Solus ul is the color...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document