GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 03:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Videos done on an Android Smartphone.  (Read 401 times)
Captainbob
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 26, 2014, 07:20 PM »

I decided a couple of weeks ago to try shooting some HD videos using the camera on my smartphone, since it is capable of shooting HD 1080p definition with an 8 mpixel camera. Some phones have much more than that now, since my is a Nexus 4 which is almost 2 years old in it's design.  In order to do this, I purchased an inexpensive tripod that would hold the phone, from Amazon for about $17, and a camera clamp mount to hold the phone for another $14 or so. I experimented with this rig this week, and brought it to the field this morning.

The major problem I had was trying to see the screen in the very bright sunlight on the field, even with the brightness set on max. I may bring a towel or something next time, to drape over the phone while I set it in place to capture the area where I intended to fly. This morning, all I could do was to try and have the bottom of the view, on the ground, and get as high as I could by angling the phone up with the tripod. It took me a minute or two, to guestimate where it should be aimed.  I started the camera and took a couple of videos. The hardest thing was trying to figure out where I could fly and not fly out of the range of the camera, but I think I was pretty lucky in figuring this out, because I managed to keep the kite inside the camera view for almost all of the flight. I was concentrating more on positioning the kite more than flying it, so my flying was kind of sedate, but what I was trying to accomplish as far as staying in view worked pretty well.

This video is of my Rev SLE with magic sticks, and the second is the Freestylist UL.  The wind was around 3-5 mph on the ground at the time I made these videos

Rev video Android Phone Camera.

Skyburner Freestylist UL

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 10:44 AM by Captainbob » Logged

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
Jimmer
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 05:13 AM »

Hey Bob,
Enjoyed watching your flying and listening to your music.
Jim
 Grin
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 10:52 AM »

Looks like you're phone camera gives you a good wind window and you were having a good time of it...

Anthony
Captainbob

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 04:47 AM »

Shot another video yesterday of my B Series Mid Vent in 12-14 mph .

Rev B MV #1

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 10:45 AM by Captainbob » Logged

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Trip
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 08:03 AM »

Knowing how hard it is to shoot and produce video with a smart phone, I'm impressed with your videos Bob! I'm not so sure that my Samsung SIII can do that any better.

Good flying and good vids coupled with nice music.   

Thanks.

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
Captainbob

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 12:02 PM »

Knowing how hard it is to shoot and produce video with a smart phone, I'm impressed with your videos Bob! I'm not so sure that my Samsung SIII can do that any better.

Good flying and good vids coupled with nice music.   

Thanks.

Thanks for the compliment. The part that got me interested in shooting a video on the phone, is that the phone is always with me. All I have to do is leave the tripod in the car, and if the wind is good, clip the phone in, set the view and fly. Doesn't get any easier. ( or cheaper for that matter).

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Trip
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 02:05 PM »

I couldn't get my Android to shoot to my satisfaction, so I bought my wife a new camera and took possession of her old camera capable of shooting HD video as well as 4000 res pics. Like you, the tripod stays in the car.

Creativity and trickery abounds in my household when it comes to kites.  Cheesy  Cheesy

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change