GWTW Forum
November 23, 2017, 09:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sea Devil SUL (Sea Angel)  (Read 6079 times)
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 12:23 PM »

E-Mails and public forums as this are indeed the lowest form of communication between people leading to mis-interpretations of posts (not your fault) as compared to tele-conferencing - for example or even a simple phone conversation. Was made aware of that once in a business communication class if E-Mail does not work try a phone conversation to guarantee a better message to your recepient.

Having said that the design features of the Tattoo requires a PULL to the fade in the JL rather than a Pop. No snags here ... on the yo-yo stoppers.

The snags occur occasionally (rare) on an unwrap from a yo-yo in v.v.low winds or in some cases there is not enough wind strength to provide the unwrap with a conventional yo-yo stopper. With a claw-like feature this would solve this issue IMO.

Some can argue since EVERYTHING is debatable in trick-flying why are you doing roll-ups in 0.5 mph winds?

Agreed ... but the claw device IMO on a SSUL like the Tattoo, Benson IS, Sea Angel, etc ... seems better suited from my flying experience ... and roll-ups and unwraps would not be an issue ... sure an entire claw stopper would even be better suited sacrificng a little more weight for this feature ... but for my style I would only do single wraps and rarely due to the delicate nature of these kites and on the bridle ... so a single claw would suit me just fine.

Next time I send a Tattoo to Canada for a repair I will ask for the upgrade ...  Wink Wink Wink

APJ
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:31 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

Kite inventory of Dual Line Kites:Benson - Inner Space; L'Atelier xt.z.; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Light; GPS -SUL, Light, Vent Light/4 Panel Vent-design, Full Vent 5PT design ; Mind Trick SUL Custom 2PT Design, Triple S Mind Trick construction (SSSUL) - NEAR ZERO WIND INDOOR TYPE.
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 01:33 PM »

ohhhh I see...
Thanks. I miss understand You about snag...

I have to say I really enjoy with Sea Angel.
I have great fun of Sea Devil std so  Sea Angel is extend line for low wind.
Rob, I enjoyed in Your video.
Sea Devil is JL machine. It can do it very fast but very slow too. I'm taking for standard weight model. Slow JL is very interesting because  SD can do it very slow also and it looks like it hanging in the sky like  some-levitation object while doing trick.   Wink.
In that moment ZEN begin...
Very forgiving also...

Sea Angel (SD SUL) can do even slower JL. Aj aj aj...
... again, in that moment ZEN begin Smiley

Best, Boris
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:49 AM by vigli » Logged
RobB
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 02:33 PM »

Rob -

Who is APJ on telling Lam how to modify a kite but the claw yo-yo stopper (one claw or the full unit) I think is key for near zero wind kites that can multi-trick with high $$$ custom kites. Sure for a regular SUL the full claw but for the Tattoo? a single claw IMO ... in general I do not like to yo-yo wrap the Tattoo more than once or too much for that matter ... just paranoia ... in terms of imposing some kite damage. I always consider it a chill-down kite anyway with fades, backspins and BC's mostly.

90# ... whatever ... I am not sure I told you but I grew up in L.I. ... and my family went to Tobay Beach. I then lifeguarded at Sunken Meadow and then Field 1 at Jones ... Cedar Beach being a town beach like Tobay ... never been there ... there all good. Later on went to Robert Moses to avoid much of the NYC dwellers packing Jones ...

APJ

Yeah, I think we talked about meeting up at Sunken Meadow a while back. The Cedar Beach that I fly at is on the NorthShore, east of Sunken Meadow about 10 miles by water. I have flown at the SouthShore Cedar Beach, as well. The beach on the South SHore is certainly nicer on the feet & the wingtips !
If you ever get out East & want to fly, give me the heads up ! Do you remember the time we ended up flying Tattoos side by side at Wildwood & didn't know each other ? I think that was 5 years ago, now... I think you were kinda surprised that there was someone else on the beach with a Tattoo ! Let's plan it out better, next time !

asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 05:05 AM »

I do visit my brother occasionally in Massapequa ... South Shore/North Shore see which way the wind is blowing some Spring or early Fall ... same with NJ at AP ... have a three bedroom place by the water ... I may go to Wildwood again next year ... its a pretty good event ...

APJ

Kite inventory of Dual Line Kites:Benson - Inner Space; L'Atelier xt.z.; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Light; GPS -SUL, Light, Vent Light/4 Panel Vent-design, Full Vent 5PT design ; Mind Trick SUL Custom 2PT Design, Triple S Mind Trick construction (SSSUL) - NEAR ZERO WIND INDOOR TYPE.
RobB

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 03:54 PM »

Thanks, Norm... I hope you noticed who's straps I use. All of my light wind line-sets have California Custom (Norm) straps. Anything I screw up in my flying, I know I can't blame it on the straps ! The only questionable piece in my setup is the Berry-Blue lineset that I was using. It's pretty fuzzy from years of use, but I think they're at least close to even!

RobB

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 05:32 PM »

The 'Ninja Straps' were used in the AVFFF video. I wish I had thought to show them off to the camera. The good thing about them is when my fingers slip off the leaders, they still provide a good connection to the kite. I didn't see that you had offered them publicly, are they also available from AWOC ?
They're on my 'light standard' 100# X 75' yellow lines, most used in my bag.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:36 PM by RobB » Logged

vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 04:47 AM »

thanks for posting video....
Very nice...
Flyer on video really enjoy and it look like he dence with kite. That is the key......
It is best when flyer is "melted" with kite....
Then real joy begins....=)

I was on holiday , return before few days.....and spend a lot of fly-time with SD on beach. ....
So nice and so well balanced....

Thanks Lam for wonderful design...
boris

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom