GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 03:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dirty Rev  (Read 1180 times)
skyguy48
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: July 28, 2014, 10:50 AM »

Had a great time at BeachFest held in Mentor, Ohio over the weekend. Flew team with a bunch of great people. Very very enjoyable all in all.
The winds would occasionally drop to zero, which meant my loved B Series Pro spent some time on the sand. Dirtiest sand I've ever seen!
Now my kite is really dirty.
I'm not sure of the best way to clean it up.
What's a good and safe way to clean?

Also, I noticed the insignia strips used between the down rods and sail show black rub marks (?) which I am thinking is from the rods. Any way to remove those?

Thanks in advance for any advise/suggestions!

Best breezes
Bill

Just Fly It!
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:15 PM »

water hose, no soap,  just let it dry before putting it away. But you know that...
why bother with the black on the tape? it is just going to do it again...

"Do what you like"
dragonfish
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:40 PM »

First, glad you had fun.  Cheesy

Agree with the water hose.  Or you can use the shower (don't use hot water) if you don't have access to a water hose.  These methods work great for removing sand, dirt, etc.  Not sure what you mean by dirty sand.  If it's icky, non-solid stuff, then cleaning might be a little more difficult. 

Regarding the "black rub marks", was there fine black or dark colored material on your beach?  The reason I ask is I got light brown colored "rub marks" on mine after flying on dirt (packed dirt with really fine stuff that would come up when disturbed).  The color of the marks on the insignia strips is about the same as the color of the dirt.  Maybe you had something similar on your beach but black or very dark in color?  See if it comes off with the rinse.  I haven't heard of Rev rods making rub marks (not to say that's impossible though). 
skyguy48

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:36 AM »

Thank you gentlemen. I was pretty sure that was the preferred method, but thought I would check.

As for the "rub marks", I noticed them as I was setting up, so they don't appear to be from the sand. Not a huge deal, but just hadn't seen it before on my other Revs or other kites.
Thanks again, and best breezes to you.

Just Fly It!
dragonfish

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:22 PM »

Lady here.  Wink

Maybe the "rub marks" came from the previous flight and just went unnoticed.  The whiteness of the insignia strips does seem to make any little dirtiness much more obvious. 
skyguy48

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:49 AM »

Lady here.  Wink

Ooops, sorry.  Embarrassed I can be such a dork sometimes.  Roll Eyes

Got the kite cleaned up pretty well. The "rub marks" still show a little, but the rest looks great.
Thanks again for the help.

Just Fly It!
Chooks

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 02:15 AM »

I noticed this on my B series as well.
The rods have pretty sharp ridges where they appear to be wrapped in tape during construction and then removed after curing, I'm guessing??
After a half hour fly from new, there were very noticeable wear marks on the sail, so fitted clear tent repair tape to prevent further wear.
Both sets of rods that came with it are the same with the full length spiral ridges.

I thought it was just me being anal about it.
skyguy48

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 08:27 AM »

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if a person could spray a light coat of varathane or similar on the rods to eliminate the black "rub marks" from getting more pronounced, or from happening on a new kite. Seems like it wouldn't add much weight....

Just Fly It!
Jim Foster

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 10:23 AM »

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if a person could spray a light coat of varathane or similar on the rods to eliminate the black "rub marks" from getting more pronounced, or from happening on a new kite. Seems like it wouldn't add much weight....

Yes. The carbon rods will sometimes leave a black trace on the sail. I carry a can of clear spray paint to recoat rods when necessary. Helps keep the sail nice and the rods looking like new.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
skyguy48

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 02:44 PM »

Yes. The carbon rods will sometimes leave a black trace on the sail. I carry a can of clear spray paint to recoat rods when necessary. Helps keep the sail nice and the rods looking like new.

Nice!

Just Fly It!
ezme6

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 05:50 PM »

This is just MY opinion, but I have been flying Revs off and on since the late 90's and I never had a problem with the rods marking up the sail or causing noticable wear. And I have had a number of all or mostly all white sails. Of course I wear eyeglasses so maybe I just never saw it.  Grin
   And insignia tape is the worse idea ever cause it is so butt ugly on a beautiful looking sail.
    Just my 2 cents

"Do what you like"
Chooks

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 03:39 AM »

I totally agree that it does look awful.
But without it, the sail would not have lasted more than a few hours. This I am certain.
Both sets of the carbon rods that came with it are the same. A very sharp spiral wrap along each rod.

Where the vertical rods sit there are white wear patches spaced out along the contact line after only 1/2 an hour.
This is VERY visible with the light behind the sail on my standard B series.

The kite shop that it was purchased from in Melbourne has closed and I bought it ready to fly, on a closing down sale. Cry 

My 3 other Revs have been worked hard for many many hours and are still in great condition. These rods are very smooth. (I had lent them so could not interchange them into my B series at the time. I didn't have any professional 2 wrap rods either)

My original SLE converted to 1/4" leading edge is so pliable that is collapses into a flat pile when the rods are removed to stow away.
Heaven knows how many 100s of hours it's flown and it's sail is only now showing signs of wear on the mesh where it's folded each time Grin
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:57 AM by Chooks » Logged
SparkieRob

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 05:57 AM »

Hey Chook, do the rods still have the ridges on them? If you need a couple of X wrap verts let me know. I could have some spare.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
ezme6

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 06:13 AM »

OK I get it, it is the non Rev rods doing the damage
what kind of rods are they and why did the new (?) kite come without official Rev rods ?

"Do what you like"
Chooks

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 07:20 AM »

I will take a photo tomorrow, as these are 2 sets of genuine Rev rods that come with a B series standard Rev.
I hope I can get the ridges to show up.

It's 10.18pm here and raining. My car is over in my workshop with the kites in it.  (Old and soft eh?) Cheesy

Sorry to hijack this thread. Sad
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document