GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 03:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tazes and Tail Weight?  (Read 1615 times)
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: July 02, 2009, 09:03 PM »

Hi,

I suck at taz machines. Whenever I did one its more a case of "hit and hope for the best" going well.

As a general rule of thumb, is there a correlation between amount of tail weight and ease of the trick happening? How pretty it looks doesn't matter for now since that will come later, getting the rotation is more important first.

Kite of choice is the Cosmic TC (Yes I know, don't look at me like that).

Thanks
Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 10:16 PM »

If I change the tail weight it doesn't seem to change the kites ability to Taz but choice of kite sure does. I haven't tried a Cosmic TC so I'm not sure of it's Taz potential. Go ahead and try it on other kites especially if it's one that others Taz well. Some kites just won't Taz for me.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
lasapcheong

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 10:36 PM »

If I change the tail weight it doesn't seem to change the kites ability to Taz but choice of kite sure does. I haven't tried a Cosmic TC so I'm not sure of it's Taz potential. Go ahead and try it on other kites especially if it's one that others Taz well. Some kites just won't Taz for me.

Thanks. Apparently the cosmic is one of the easiest tazing kites in the business so that says something about the flyer than the kite  Embarrassed (it's mostly about the flyer anyway)

I'll play around bit more and hope for better results.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
ET
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 10:45 PM »

kites with turbos are also easier to taz IMO
711jrp
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 02:17 AM »

I'm sure more weight on the ctc hurts the taz. Make sure you lay the top wing back before the first  input and the second input is a bit later than you would think.

Pigs might fly, but only if you bridle them right!!

Pete
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 06:35 AM »

I don't know who it was, but someone gave me the advice of REMOVING the tail weight in my Sea Devil to make the TAZ easier to learn.  It's worked.  The taz is still an 75% success rate trick (when I am warmed up on it), even on the Cosmic...and esp. if I hold myself to counting only REAL taz machines, which are those that spin in one place, lines slack.

The Cosmic will provide you with easy 'ugly' taz machines, where the spin is moving sideways or backwards (or isn't so much a spin as a floating rotation) without to much fuss.  However, I find the 'spinning fast on a pole' version nearly as hard on the Cosmic as on the Sea Devil.

On the Cosmic, you should really first try get the 540 to be super tight.  If you see how this trick spins on a Cosmic (go ahead and hit it hard), you'll know where you should be aiming for the taz machine.   

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
lasapcheong

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 07:15 AM »

Thanks obi that was helpful I'll try for a high hit rate on my 540 first. Do you have the nose point high for a 540 on the cosmic like a taz or do you have the nose relatively flat?

On the point about the ugly tazes on the cosmic I quite agree with that. I enjoy Kitehouse's videos but the tazes shown are mostly always the floating ones not those that seems like the kite is suddenly impaled on a pole and spinning in one spot.

-Darryl
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 07:19 AM by lasapcheong » Logged

obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 10:05 AM »

I find the 540 on the Cosmic a real giveaway. 

I just basically fly down at a slight angle, and only throw one arm forward for the flare.  When it flares out, just pop the line you hold back and take a step forward. 

You should have ANY problems with this.  I have seen your vids.   Cool

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 10:16 AM »

have you tried them on a mamba or muse?
no weight. the mambas do it pretty well, and i dont know why.
muses give it away easily too.

i havent tried a TC, so i cant help ya there. maybe practice it in close to zero winds so you can see your imputs and how the kite slowly moves around...? thats how i work up my tricks..

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 10:53 AM »

Two key points on the Taz:

The input for the rotation, nose high away. This varies depending on the kite used but it's critical for success to hit it right.

Lots of slack. As much or more than just about any other trick.

Practicing toward the window edge will help too.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Beaufort
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 11:27 AM »

One thing to add: When you give input for the spin it can help that the line is TIGHT not slack when you make the pull input  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change