GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 04:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing Dye 'bleed' on Icarex fabric?  (Read 658 times)
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 30, 2014, 10:49 AM »

I've just bought an HQ Tattoo Zero which has some stains where the dye from the red panels has 'bled' onto the white Icarex (Ventex light) main panels - I hasten to add I did know about this when I bought it.  Does anyone know of a safe way to remove the stains without damaging the fabric? It looks like the stains have been there for a while. They aren't too bad and I can live with them ( you can't see them in flight) but it would be nice if they could be removed.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:47 PM »

Tattoo Zero is such a great kite! One of my favorites.
fly it, enjoy it, and dont worry about a little stain.   Smiley

If you dont get a good answer to your problem I'll buy it from you.
A lightly stained tattoo is better than no tattoo.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:51 PM by Dano » Logged
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 08:13 PM »

The wandering stitching catches my eye more than the dye bleeding, but both are minor cosmetic issues. I wouldn't worry about it, I know a guy  who wrecked a sail trying to get the residue from a sticker off of it. Some things you just have to let go and not worry about.

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:20 AM »

Thanks Guys, I think I'll leave well alone!  Apart from the stains - and the photos make them look worse than they are - it's in really nice condition. It will be interesting to see how it compares to my 'Shadow'.

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 04:49 AM »

Mineral spirits will take off most glue, tar, and other uglies from kite fabric.  Could try rubbing alcohol.  Goof off can be used but careful as it is aggressive.  Stay away from anything acetone based (finger nail polish remover) which will take off the fabric coating. 

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
Hadge

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 01:03 PM »

Tattoo Zero is such a great kite! One of my favorites.
fly it, enjoy it, and dont worry about a little stain.   Smiley

If you dont get a good answer to your problem I'll buy it from you.
A lightly stained tattoo is better than no tattoo.

This one is definitely a keeper even with the stains!

Just wondered what length of line you use with your Tattoo Zero - I've just been out with 65' set I use with the Shadow but wonder if a 50' might be a bit better?

whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 05:21 AM »

There is a product available in art stores called "Bestine" which was recommended to me a while back. I was hesitant but decided to try it on the sails of a couple of vintage kites that had interacted with some of the vinyl used in standoff holders and it did a great job in greatly reducing the stains without damaging the coating on the fabric. A small container was only a few bucks. I is not a "hot" solvent but evaporates very quickly and cleanly. I q-tip would work well for an applicator on such a narrow stain.

Anthony
Doug S

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 05:33 AM »

Regarding the Bestine, the following link provides access to the MSDS.

http://papercement.com/msds_bestine.pdf

Bestine is comprised of Heptane.  Will have to give it a try.

Thank you,

Doug

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
Charles G
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 06:08 AM »

Bestine worked very well at removing adhesive residue without harming the sail on one of my kites, but did not work on dye stains on another kite.

whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 03:26 PM »

Thanks for the safety data sheet Doug, I didn't know about washing skin after contact with this solvent.
Very good to know. I could certainly work safer...

Anthony
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 10:16 PM »

It will be interesting to see how it compares to my 'Shadow'.

Would like to hear what you think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum