GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 11:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sound System  (Read 893 times)
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: July 30, 2014, 06:40 PM »

Sound systems at kite festivals... what is the typical wattage you see on these units? If the field is 300'x300' what is the minimum wattage you'd recommend for a system with 2 speakers?

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
tcope

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 07:41 AM »

I'll be taking the system out to a beach this following weekend during a fun fly. Yesterday I took it out to a nearby lot and did some testing. I think 250 watts will be just fine. In my case I was a little too close to an Interstate so it was noisy. However, at 1/2 volume it was plenty loud at 200'. I'm running it on an 800 watt generator/inverter that puts out 600 watts all of the time. The generator does not skip a beat.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:52 AM »

Something to be said for the quality of the speakers.  I have had 150 watt systems that were more then loud enough with qsc amp and jbl speakers. Also systems that ran qsc speakers that sounded better.  You may also get more bang out of a 8 ohm system over 70v. Although I just put a 70v system indoors with separate amps in each rooms and it is more then loud enough.

Sine Metu!
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 05:50 PM »

Wind direction and speed can make a big difference.

Allen, AKA kitehead
tcope

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 06:17 PM »

I think the manufacture has some influence as well. The system is a Fender Passport. As I read, they are pretty true to the actually wattage put out and the speakers are pretty good. I know they are very popular. In all, I like the system. It took 5 minutes to breakdown and put away. I suspect it took about 7 minutes to set up.

Heading out to Bear Lake, ID this coming weekend and using it for the first time. I think it will work just fine. We've flown at Bear Lake a few times and it's a great place to fly kites. The beach is _huge_ and the winds are very good. While it's 90F in Salt Lake City, its 77F on Bear Lake (elevation). While the ocean beaches are nice... Bear Lake has blue water and slopping hills around it. This weekend will be a trial run and we hope to grow the event into a Kite Festival. It has some great potential. The park ranger is all for it and we seem to already be getting some local businesses interested. It's next to Garden City UT and Montpelier, ID. Both are small friendly towns. A couple of years ago Garden City was going to put on a kite event but it did not materialize. I know they are looking for events for their area. The only _small_ issue is that the park charges $5/vehicle to get in. But I don't see that as a problem. It's super cheap and it's worth it just to walk on the beach.

I'm planning on getting some video and photos with everything set up in order to show people what it would look like. We can then work on setting it up as a small kite festival and having it once or twice a year. I think once we start having it on a regular basis that it could start catching on locally.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Trip
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 05:46 AM »

Nice pics! Nice looking beach line too.  Grin

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
tcope

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 09:35 AM »

Set up and used the system yesterday. It worked very well. Had it on 1/2 power and it was _plenty_ loud. Sound could easily be heard 200' away at this level. It was very clear.

I'm powering it with an Earthquake 800w generator from Amazon. It has great reviews. It's a 4 stroke engine with inverter and is 21lbs. It's around $240. It ran for 6.5 hours and never ran out of gas. It's very quite, we were having normal conversations just 10' from the generator.

Some of our group when down the shore line with a bubble machine and talked to people. I was told that many people came up to them and wanted to give them money for playing the music. I thought that was funny. So I think people liked the idea.

Not much wind which was a disappointment as I really wanted to get some photos and video but its never a bad day when you can fly any kite.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:37 AM by tcope » Logged

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Tmadz

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 05:58 AM »

I had a fender passport at my last job for events. It was great and I liked it for the portability and convenience of hookup. Not the greatest for music playback, but when you're outside you're not going to be critiquing like an audiophile. Thanks for the line on the generator. I've been looking for a cheap,quiet one. Reliability?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change