Question on Zephyr Leech Line setup.

Pages: (1/3) > >>

Captainbob:

Yesterday, I decided to try settling up the leech line on my Zephyr, which is about 2  months old. Following the instructions, I attached one end of the line to one wingtip, and tied it off. Then I went to the line on the other wingtip and started pulling on it, expecting to see the bit of slack I left on the side I just tied, to start disappearing. What I saw instead, was the side of the trailing edge I was pulling on, became tight, and only that trailing edge started to wrinkle. I then went back to the first side, pulled on that, and same thing, only that side of the trailing edge showed any signs of tightening.

I then called up Prism, and explained the situation to the tech support person. He came to the same conclusion that I had already, that the leech line on my Zephyr, was fastened or stuck in the middle somehow, where the tail weight would be located, not allowing the line to pull through. So he said , just tension each side separately, which I did.  Now my question is, has anyone else had this issue with their late model Zephyrs, or is mine just one of a kind?   I guess the only problem this would pose, is if I ever had to replace the line for some reason, it would be impossible. Just curious.

stapp59:

My Zeph is similiar with the leech line fixed at the keel.  I expected that actually and adjusted each side separately.  I prefer to tighten leech lines at the keel and could replace it sometime which will require ripping a little of the TE seam and resewing I expect.  It's not my main kite so will likely just leave it stock.

Captainbob:

Quote from: stapp59 on July 31, 2014, 06:43 AM
--
My Zeph is similiar with the leech line fixed at the keel.  I expected that actually and adjusted each side separately.  I prefer to tighten leech lines at the keel and could replace it sometime which will require ripping a little of the TE seam and resewing I expect.  It's not my main kite so will likely just leave it stock.

--

I set the leech line up on my Zephyr, and am anxious to fly it and see what difference it makes, but alas, not enough wind since I did it.

stapp59:

Try the leech line tightened and loose in various winds and see what you prefer. Makes more difference as winds pick up. I generally adjust by pulling the line to remove slack and then another 1/2".  Can also assemble the kite and pull the leech line until you see obvious puckers in the TE, then back off a bit.  Some make the leech line tension adjustable with a bungee.  I just tie mine off.  YMMV.

I'm not a fan of noisy kites.  Some flyers prefer the speed control and added precision of a loose trailing edge.  The sound may bring back fond memories of baseball cards in bicycle spokes  :D

At 11oz, the Zeph is NOT a UL, more of a light standard. Still a nice flyer.

Quote from: Captainbob on August 06, 2014, 06:38 AM
--
Quote from: stapp59 on July 31, 2014, 06:43 AM
--

--

I set the leech line up on my Zephyr, and am anxious to fly it and see what difference it makes, but alas, not enough wind since I did it.

--

Captainbob:

Well I finally got some wind to try the Zephyr this afternoon with the leech line tensioned. It flies like a different kite. The sensation I go when the trailing edge fluttered with the leech line loose, was like a Cessna aircraft going too fast, when the flaps are lowered, speed brakes on a glider. Now the Zephyr is smooth as silk, and with 1/10th noise, and it also is faster. I didn't put too much tension on initially, I think I will tighten the lines up just a bit more.

Pages: (1/3) > >>