GWTW Forum
September 18, 2014, 11:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Isn't that pretty? Aura SUL  (Read 1221 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« on: August 07, 2014, 08:15 PM »

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:40 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
missionview
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:42 PM »

sure is!

Robert
Jorge Gouverneur
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 09:42 PM »

Nice Aura... Is yours SUL?
Trip
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 07:28 AM »

In the words of Dire Straits..... "Quite Nice!"

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
tpatter

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 08:22 AM »

Nice Aura... Is yours SUL?

Yes, SUL.   I've not really had a chance to fly it yet in decent wind, but nice so far.

6 kite tom
stapp59

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 04:05 AM »

Backlit Icky is pretty  Cool  I have one of those.  Interested in how you like yours.

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
tpatter

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 11:40 PM »

I've got 5 hours on this kite now - and I do like it!   

In short, it's a low and no wind (indoor-class) flyer that works really well for tricks outdoor much better than other small kites that I've tried such as the 4D, iTrix, and AirZero.  It has their easy near-zero powered-up flight ability, but has enough mass and stiffness to handle tricks much more like a full-sized kite, particularly with moves like the JL, lazy, and even yoyo.

It will not hand these out as easily as your full-sized trickster, but, as I said, its more than easy enough and very reliable.   

Main gripe so far is that the backspin (of all things) is more difficult than the comete on this puppy.  It wants that slow pull with a little flick at the end and I'm just not used to that.

More later.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:55 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 06:06 PM »

Flew this one again today - if you want to keep flying when your favorite UL or SUL is becoming too much work, then this one will fit the need. 

I met Bob at Magnuson today and we flew the Aura and the Pro Dancer SULs together.   Both amazing SULs designed for different purposes.   We had some fun even in the hot sun - Summer is going out with a BANG! in Seattle. 

Also, go Hawks!! Smiley
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 06:11 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
vertigo2u

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 08:53 AM »

I just sent my Aura to Australia...  I am going to miss her... It was the Aura sul ....  I will replace her again... different color combo...
Your kite reviews are always well thought out and presented. Without bias or prejudice you always present a very intellectual perception of the kites flying ability.  Your kite skills are admired by many of us trying to learn.  This is a good kite design for many who are trying to beat the No Wind blues...

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
tpatter

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 05:23 PM »

Thanks Vert!

I will try to get some video of all the fun before the BIG gusty winds of Fall start. 

Tom

6 kite tom
stapp59

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 06:23 AM »

Flew this one again today - if you want to keep flying when your favorite UL or SUL is becoming too much work, then this one will fit the need. 

So would you say Tom the Aura is the lowest wind trickable kite in your bag?  I know both are a matter of degree and flying ability.

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
tpatter

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 09:07 AM »

So would you say Tom the Aura is the lowest wind trickable kite in your bag?  I know both are a matter of degree and flying ability.

I'd say that is accurate - before this one, I would fly what are considered indoor kites outside and just deal with the fact that they had severe tricking limitations almost  to the point of not bothering to fly them.  This one I'm happy to fly as it strikes a good balance between tricks and very little mass.  It's also rather small so it's fun on short lines or limited space.

It's not as much fun as my full sized SUL, but the Aura is much easier to 360 and will easily skate around in little more than a puff of wind.

6 kite tom
vertigo2u

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 10:08 AM »

Tom just wanted to post videos of flying her in almost no wind.  You can see some grass move and an occasional tree move.  But the most part little air.  The nicest thing about the kite is... The sul will fly indoors.  e.i. Devin flying it indoors in the winter...

Devin Indoor Aura

and out doors when the wind is gone.  Your flying.  Some times I get to the Beach and No wind... I fly... If the Aura will not fly.... Inak will. ( just got a new one with changes.  New lower spreader that comes apart and new bridle... It's what Kite junkies do...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

Aura sul 2

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
tpatter

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 11:47 AM »

Thanks for the video - I missed those.  Unlike most indoor capable kites, the Aura has a stiff frame - you can be very aggressive with the kite and it doesn't mind. 

I also noticed a few things that I will need to try my next time out.  I've never tried the 'over rotated pancake to yoyo' move on this kite, but it looks to be a good way to one-pop yoyo it.  It 2 pops super easy.

Thanks,
-Tom

6 kite tom
mdilucca
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 01:14 PM »

what's the frame on it Tom?

Cheers
Mario

Cheers
Mario

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document