Wind Conditions makes a difference

Pages: (1/2) > >>

wagsboyz:

I have been flying at a grass park just a short distance from the ocean.  I never realized what seemed to be short sand dunes between the water and the park would create such a disturbance in the wind.   After trying to do tricks especially the Lacobs Ladder in the park and not getting it very regular, I moved down onto the sand.  The first attempt at the JL amazingly was quite easy.  I had been having difficulty with losing altitude in the turtle quickly in the park and down by the water I was actually getting the turtle to rise.

After flying by the water I moved back to the park and put on longer lines 120' to get up higher to see where the wind was not as disturbed by the sand dunes and low and behold the JL was there.  The only problem was that with the altitude came some issues primarily neck pain looking up.

Choice of flying locations is obviously key.  I have always thought the park I usually fly in was a perfect spot but I now think that if I want to trick I need to rethink where to fly. Nothing like unbstructed wind.

Thanks NP

Bob D:

Flying with the wind coming off the ocean is the best. I miss Liberty State Park in Jersey City when the wind came off the ocean through the Verazzano Narrows. Now I have to settle for what I can get in upstate NY. It's possible to fly almost anyplace but it's always nice when you have a place that's wide open.

Trip:

I always loved the multitude of trees in the Eastern part of Texas... until I started flying kites. Finding a field that's not surrounded by a line of trees is almost impossible. The trees block the wind in an area that suffers from dirty wind anyway. Probably why my favorite flying line is 100' or more. 

I haven't flown on the beach yet. When I do, I probably won't ever leave. I'll probably just dehydrate right there... dieing, but extremely happy.  :D

Captainbob:

Quote from: Trip on August 12, 2014, 07:13 AM
--
I always loved the multitude of trees in the Eastern part of Texas... until I started flying kites. Finding a field that's not surrounded by a line of trees is almost impossible. The trees block the wind in an area that suffers from dirty wind anyway. Probably why my favorite flying line is 100' or more. 

I haven't flown on the beach yet. When I do, I probably won't ever leave. I'll probably just dehydrate right there... dieing, but extremely happy.  :D

--

+1    ;)

np:

Quote from: np on July 29, 2014, 07:44 PM
--

I know this might sound far fetched, but I think you could be loosing wind down low to the ground in the grass park area verses being right down on the beach.

--

I was very suspicious about the way the Freestylist dropped as fast as it did in the turtle position. Sounds like the distance from the beach to the park and the sand dunes were definitely causing a lack of wind and also disturbance. I donít think a guy could find a better place to fly than at the park. If you plan on doing some tricking, get there relatively early and go down to the beach. When you are done or if the wind picks up,  move up to the park as (Richard) should be there by then and fly SLKís the rest of the afternoon. In all honesty: You have the absolute best of both worlds at the park. See ya in a few days.

Pages: (1/2) > >>