GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 04:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wind Conditions makes a difference  (Read 656 times)
wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: August 11, 2014, 07:52 PM »

I have been flying at a grass park just a short distance from the ocean.  I never realized what seemed to be short sand dunes between the water and the park would create such a disturbance in the wind.   After trying to do tricks especially the Lacobs Ladder in the park and not getting it very regular, I moved down onto the sand.  The first attempt at the JL amazingly was quite easy.  I had been having difficulty with losing altitude in the turtle quickly in the park and down by the water I was actually getting the turtle to rise.

After flying by the water I moved back to the park and put on longer lines 120' to get up higher to see where the wind was not as disturbed by the sand dunes and low and behold the JL was there.  The only problem was that with the altitude came some issues primarily neck pain looking up.

Choice of flying locations is obviously key.  I have always thought the park I usually fly in was a perfect spot but I now think that if I want to trick I need to rethink where to fly. Nothing like unbstructed wind.

Thanks NP
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 04:10 AM »

Flying with the wind coming off the ocean is the best. I miss Liberty State Park in Jersey City when the wind came off the ocean through the Verazzano Narrows. Now I have to settle for what I can get in upstate NY. It's possible to fly almost anyplace but it's always nice when you have a place that's wide open.

Bob D.
Trip
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 07:13 AM »

I always loved the multitude of trees in the Eastern part of Texas... until I started flying kites. Finding a field that's not surrounded by a line of trees is almost impossible. The trees block the wind in an area that suffers from dirty wind anyway. Probably why my favorite flying line is 100' or more. 

I haven't flown on the beach yet. When I do, I probably won't ever leave. I'll probably just dehydrate right there... dieing, but extremely happy.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:17 AM by Trip » Logged

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
Captainbob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 07:45 AM »

I always loved the multitude of trees in the Eastern part of Texas... until I started flying kites. Finding a field that's not surrounded by a line of trees is almost impossible. The trees block the wind in an area that suffers from dirty wind anyway. Probably why my favorite flying line is 100' or more. 

I haven't flown on the beach yet. When I do, I probably won't ever leave. I'll probably just dehydrate right there... dieing, but extremely happy.  Cheesy

+1    Wink

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
np
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 09:09 AM »

I know this might sound far fetched, but I think you could be loosing wind down low to the ground in the grass park area verses being right down on the beach.

I was very suspicious about the way the Freestylist dropped as fast as it did in the turtle position. Sounds like the distance from the beach to the park and the sand dunes were definitely causing a lack of wind and also disturbance. I don’t think a guy could find a better place to fly than at the park. If you plan on doing some tricking, get there relatively early and go down to the beach. When you are done or if the wind picks up,  move up to the park as (Richard) should be there by then and fly SLK’s the rest of the afternoon. In all honesty: You have the absolute best of both worlds at the park. See ya in a few days.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:50 PM by np » Logged
wagsboyz

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:41 PM »

The park is a great place to fly but now I understand why my flying wasn't really progressing.  Some tricking was possible but not great wind for combo type tricks.  I have now been down to the water a couple of times and what a difference.

The first time I saw my Widow Maker UL rise in the turtle instead of fall to the ground I was amazed and pulled of a pretty good looking JL.  Other tricks that worked were the flick flack and I did a couple of back spins.  The fade was rock steady and I was able to get a couple of wraps from the fade but I need to practice the unroll for the AVFFF.

See ya this weekend Norm I'm sure you can hep with the AVFFF.
Trip
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 06:52 AM »

The park is a great place to fly. Parks in my area however, are filled with trees. I do a lot of my flying on a band practice field that's sandwiched between a high school and a football practice field near my home. The trees have been cut way back from the field (the only trees are on the south rim... most of my wind comes from the north) and it's manicured to the hilt.  Grin

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lindale+High+School/@32.5131624,-95.3960167,390m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8649b8b3a266f1d9:0x4fc7bd6736340a5

However, if I had my druthers... this is where I'd be flying for the rest of my days... and drinking Corona's... and letting my hair grow down to my ass.   Cheesy  Cheesy

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Laguna+Beach,+CA/@32.8585286,-117.2545125,3119m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x80dce0c88f5b24c1:0xde7b435a879daf6
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:02 AM by Trip » Logged

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
np
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 12:47 PM »

After flying by the water I moved back to the park and put on longer lines 120' to get up higher to see where the wind was not as disturbed by the sand dunes and low and behold the JL was there.  The only problem was that with the altitude came some issues primarily neck pain looking up.

Looks like you’ve got it all figured out. JL’s and AVFFF’s are easily done on 100’ lines and higher in the wind window.

The fade was rock steady and I was able to get a couple of wraps from the fade but I need to practice the unroll for the AVFFF.

I’m sure I’ll be able to help you out unrolling the AVFFF. I like to get um as low as you can go (without) damage.

I have now been down to the water a couple of times and what a difference.
The first time I saw my Widow Maker UL rise in the turtle instead of fall to the ground I was amazed and pulled of a pretty good looking JL.  Other tricks that worked were the flick flack and I did a couple of back spins.  The fade was rock steady and I was able to get a couple of wraps from the fade but I need to practice the unroll for the AVFFF.

Really glad you went to the beach/water and readily recognized the difference between the wind at the park and the lab grade winds at the beach. From here on out it should be a piece of cake, except for that darn video cam that could be watching you. Looking forward. See ya Saturday.

The first time I saw my Widow Maker UL rise in the turtle instead of fall to the ground I was amazed and pulled of a pretty good looking JL
This is exactly what you want. Two rotations of the JL is all you need. For ME the JL looks best when done low and slow.
photogbill

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 04:14 PM »

I know there are many places inland, across the country ...where you can fly in some great winds but there simply isn't anywhere that tops the perfect lab-grade winds you can find on a regular basis when your on a beach by an ocean or large body of water, IMO!

For those who have not ever flown at the beach, my advise would to be for you to treat yourself to a kite event vacation or weekend at a beach at some point in your lifetime! Unless you are very unlucky, it will be worth the trip!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum