GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 10:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TRLBY Stacks, Looking For Info  (Read 2733 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: July 04, 2009, 12:59 AM »

Tonight at the Friday night fly, Darren brought out this 1992ish pack of TRLBYs. I know very little about these kites, but would love to add some pertinent info to the pictures.

So anyone, info?Huh

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 09:42 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 01:47 AM »

First thing is; that would be TRLBY, no i and all caps please.

The best beginner kite there was. That 3 ply poly-something sail was guaranteed for life & along with the solid fiberglass rods it was nearly indestructible. A competitor to the Peter Powell Diamond Stunter that got the ball rolling for this whole controllable kite thing, it could fly in 1/2 the wind needed by the Powell. It was made in the USA, I can't give you the first year of production but I was flying my first one around 1982 & bought many for freinds & family, exchange students to take back home to Bosnia and with TRLBY's help a bunch to send to the troops during the Desert Storm operation when the call went out for care baskets from home to lift spirits. I purshased my last new one last year. Sadly TRLBY ceased production of kites a couple years ago but continues to provide expertese & equipment for heat sealing plastics to industries.

Maybe Troy or Chris will jump in with figures for the record stack flown, it was the kite of choice for large stacks & still hold the record I believe.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 02:46 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 08:40 AM »

My first dual line kite was a 3-stack of TRLBYs, somewhere around '85, but they were solid color poly-something sails (not the solid-color nylon sail version).

I still have them but have to say they haven't seen the light of day since I got my Flashlight and Alpha Plus a few years later. I still think about them from time-to-time 'cuz they made such a cool sight in the sky!

Bob
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 10:15 AM »

Designed by British designer Max Puckridge

I have a 3-stack I keep in Michigan, recently flew them in Champaign, IL with the IKE crew.

I also got my first Trlbys in the early eighty's and would always recommend them to new fliers, not only were they nearly indestructible, they were fairly easy to fly, and inexpensive.

I have some that just wore out, but I kept them, I only have one rip-stop unfortunately.

I recently picked up eight from Seattle (thanks to Charly for the assist)

So I guess my total is around 14-15 that could fly with 2-3 for parts.

I have had a problem with the center T clip breaking, but a few wraps of line keeps it in place

104 Trlby's http://jaysworks.com/kites/record/]Record [/url]Set by Bill Storey

Purchased some of Carol's prints years ago (30 maybe)

thanks to JB for this link to KiteLife archives for the following:

Trilby ad and review Kitelines v4-1 Summer Fall 1981 pg 15 & 16

Peter Powel and other early stunters reviewed Kitelines v1-2 Summer 1977

Rainbow stunt kite first ad Kitelines V2-2 Spring 1979

Skynasaur ad Kitelines v3-1 Winter 1979-1980 - review Kitelines v3-2 Spring Summer 1980

Anything else John?

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 01:45 PM »

A Trlby three stack was the first duallie I ever flew.

Also the first experience with the generosity and enthusiasm of kite people. We had this old three stack that belonged to a friends dad. He had flown them hard over the years, and the lead kite had duct tape all over the nose holding it together. After a few flights the tape just wasn't staying stuck and we didn't want to quit, so we started asking around the park if anyone had any kind of tape. We were thinking packing, or electrical or more duct,  you know?

As it was Shoreline park in 1998 there were quite a few serious kite nuts around. Someone said "Sure, I've got some tape, I'll be right over" Turned out the guy gave us a couple of bucks worth of Tedlar and the old stack was back in the air in style.  Smiley

About six months later when I had gotten into sport kites big time and gotten to know some of the locals (and learned about Tedlar) I was kicking myself for not remembering who had saved the day with the Trlbys. Thank you whoever you are!

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum