GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 06:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spectra Sport Kite  (Read 855 times)
schnervel
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 14, 2014, 11:47 AM »

Hi all.  I'm new here and just joined the forum today.  I was hoping that you can help me identify this Spectra Kite I had mothballed for the last dozen years or so.  I believe I bought it in 2002.  I pulled it out to use it recently and when I went to put it together, two of the leading edge connectors were dry rotted and broke when I tried to assemble it.   :'(

My question is this - how do I know the diameter of the spars are so that I can order replacement parts?  I don't have a calipers and my ruler only gives me a best guess estimate.  Also, it looks like most places only carry carbon or fiberglass spars etc, and I think this one is graphite - is that possible?

Here are some pictures to help in identification.  My best guess is that it is at least 84" once fully assembled. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pic of one of the broken connectors

Tag on kite
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:23 PM by schnervel » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 12:19 PM »

Hi, welcome
I am sure that someone is going ot pull up the name of that kite....i cannot right now....

The rods are pultruded carbon fiber rods in that....you can grab a set of calipers and get the diameter (you will want to get the decimal reading like: .2100") and any kite shop will have what you need.  you could take the best estimate measurement and that might get you close enough...you could also wrap a piece of line around the rod to get the circumference, and then go back to 6th grade geometry if you remember the way to do it Wink (or google a tool to do the math).

you can easily purchase APA fitting for the rods at the same time to replace those that have dry rotted.

Personally, I would/will never deal with the shop you listed, there have been people (including myself) that have experienced bad transactions with them.   The sponsor shops to the right are all highly recommended though.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 12:20 PM »

btw: links to sponsors are the only kite shop links allowed here. can you please remove the one you put into your post?

schnervel

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 12:23 PM »

btw: links to sponsors are the only kite shop links allowed here. can you please remove the one you put into your post?
Sorry, will remove.
schnervel

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 01:11 PM »

Also, what do people use to glue external ferrules in place?  Any favored glue or should I reach for Super Glue?
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 01:17 PM »

Most likely 6mm or .2300" diameter pultruded carbon fiber rods, graphite and carbon being interchangeable terms in this context. The next common size down would be 5.5mm or .2100" I lump these two sizes together because generally one size fitting works for both

The 6 and 5.5mm rods are common  internationally in a number of branded and non-branded sticks, the .2300 and .2100 sizes are most common in the US brand Avia.

The average pencil is 6mm across the flats, so if the rods are smaller, order the next size down fittings. The APA leading edge fitting is the way to go, in the A or B size as shown in the picture

Allen, AKA kitehead
schnervel

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 01:38 PM »

Most likely 6mm or .2300" diameter pultruded carbon fiber rods, graphite and carbon being interchangeable terms in this context. The next common size down would be 5.5mm or .2100" I lump these two sizes together because generally one size fitting works for both

The 6 and 5.5mm rods are common  internationally in a number of branded and non-branded sticks, the .2300 and .2100 sizes are most common in the US brand Avia.

The average pencil is 6mm across the flats, so if the rods are smaller, order the next size down fittings. The APA leading edge fitting is the way to go, in the A or B size as shown in the picture

Thanks, that's very helpful.  I guess I'll need to order 4 new ones because the new-fangled ones don't look at all like what's on there now:

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 01:40 PM »

Correct, the rubber fittings that Spectra used was/is known for dry rotting and falling apart...luckily it was not during flight!
the Center T should be hard plastic and good to go...

I use Zap-A-Gap glue for my kite framing...it is a gap filling CA glue that expands slightly to fill any -gaps Wink works great for a ferrule to help adhere the durn thing to the rod.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 01:56 PM »

I usually scuff the sruface of pultruded rods slightly to help the glue stick. Be sure to wipe the rod and the inside of the ferule before gluing. Dust and stuff can make for a weak bond.

And yes, the APA fittings are way better than the old style. They last a long time. Some of the Spectra Center Ts were an aluminum tube in a plastic fitting made out of the same crap as the LE fittings. They are a high stress point and will fail if the plastic is brittle. Unfortunately the Standoff fittings can be in the same boat. I've ended up replacing all the fittings on every Spectra kite I've owned, though most were of an older generation than yours. YMMV.  Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 12:16 AM »

You might want to check the flex on the undamaged rods.

Spectra Sports used fiberglass in a lot of their kites.

When they say graphite, they mean carbon, BTW.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:18 AM by JimB » Logged
schnervel

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 08:05 AM »

I use Zap-A-Gap glue for my kite framing...it is a gap filling CA glue that expands slightly to fill any -gaps Wink works great for a ferrule to help adhere the durn thing to the rod.

Excellent, thanks for the recommendation!

I usually scuff the sruface of pultruded rods slightly to help the glue stick. Be sure to wipe the rod and the inside of the ferule before gluing. Dust and stuff can make for a weak bond.

Also a good reminder!

You guys really know how to make a newbie newcomer feel welcome!  The advice is truly appreciated!
twhite510

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 07:34 PM »

Hi,
I don't know if you have found out what model of Spectra you have yet. I found the old catalog that came with my Spectra from the late 90's. I bought mine in San Diego flew it a few times. Really just crashed it. :'( I put it away and forgot about it until a month or so ago. I am giving flying a real try this time out. Have new kite not trying the old one to learn. Anyway I hope this helps you out. By the way it looks as though you might have the "Aero" size looks right and sail looks similar. The pattern is not the same.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126411661@N03/14837026790/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 07:40 PM by twhite510 » Logged
schnervel

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 07:13 AM »

Well, i got the parts finally and repaired the kite.  Now I need to find some space and wind to fly it!

rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 10:36 AM »

no calipers. Try  drill bit holder if you've got one it should get you very close.

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 10:52 AM »

no calipers. Try  drill bit holder if you've got one it should get you very close.

good thought Rob...i had forgotten about that one too...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change