GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 12:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fliers in the San Fernando or Santa Clarita area?  (Read 2840 times)
twhite510
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 06:14 AM »

Jon
That is good info as to not being a lot of fliers. Look forward to flying with you soon. 

Norm. How often do you get to go fly at Oxnard?
np
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 06:47 AM »

I have been fortunate to have flown with Norm a couple of times now and I can say that my flying has gotten alot better.   
I know you did a few single JL's and a 1 1/2 that looked about as good as they get. So, with some more practice you'll be doing multiples. The part I like best is that you are starting your JL from the Fade. It's a tough trick to get, but I know you'll get it soon. What really helps is staying one step ahead (in your mind) of what the kite is doing, so your next input will be automatic. Hope that makes some sort of sense.
np

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 07:07 AM »

Norm. How often do you get to go fly at Oxnard?
We've been down there twice within the last 6 weeks. My wife and I both like the Ventura area. The park and beach make for a nice place to put a kite in the air. My home port/flying field is Morro Bay. Also, not a bad place to put a kite in the air. I'm retired, so can pretty much pick and choose when and where. We've already made reservations for the week end of Columbus Day to go back down. My thinking was a working stiff with a family could possibly devote one day to kite flying and two to his family or visa versa.  Wink Only problem is that when your my age a lot of stuff could happen between now and then.  Cheesy  Cheesy In the meantime; If you get the chance, learn how to do a FADE.   
twhite510

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 07:18 AM »

Norm.
 As you live so far up north from me I suppose I may not get to meet you real soon. Although when you do make it down this way the next time I hope to get to meet you.
 Thanks for the tip on learning the Fade. I try to get to the ball field or school after work during the week. But there is usually people there. I can sometimes get an hour or so in once during the week. On the weekend I can get another bit of time early in the morning if there is any wind. Really variable wind in town so it is kind of a challenge practicing things. The fade will be good for me to practice with the wind situation. It will help me to get used to moving my feet more. I think I tend to be too stationary. 

np

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 04:42 PM »

Really variable wind in town so it is kind of a challenge practicing things.
Makes for a very long learning curve.

I know there are many places inland, across the country ...where you can fly in some great winds but there simply isn't anywhere that tops the perfect lab-grade winds you can find on a regular basis when your on a beach by an ocean or large body of water, IMO!
For those who have not ever flown at the beach, my advise would to be for you to treat yourself to a kite event vacation or weekend at a beach at some point in your lifetime! Unless you are very unlucky, it will be worth the trip!

The lab grades winds at the OXNARD beach will cut your learning curve in half. Jon will help cut the other half, so by Columbus Day I figure you should be doing Jacob Ladders.  Cheesy  Cheesy   
twhite510

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 05:02 PM »

I will ecstatic just to be able to do a fade and an axle. I just got back from trying to fly at the school but got the boot. Not allowed to fly there. That leaves me with just a ball park to try and fly at.
 I have a question is it worth it to get a short set of lines for my 4D? Say 18' to 25' to practice on. That way I might be able to find a few more places. Like the middle of my semi busy street.  😳
wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 06:04 PM »

Tom,  you will be doing axles and fades in no time.   Getting comfortable with the basics is the key and the rest will come.  Regarding the 4D I have flown one and I must say that it was incredibly difficult for me because of how fast it reacts.  It will trick but for me it was like flying a mosquito on anphetimines.  It would probaby be less of a handful in no wind which could teach you alot. Indoor (no wind) flying is a whole different animal.....

It is not out of the question to have you doing axles and fades in an outing or two.

Watching Norm fly is very inspirational and eye opening to what it takes to pull off some cool stuff.

Our family is headed North to Cayucos and I hope to get some flying in there and Morro Bay where Norm flys alot. 
np

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 06:37 PM »

Our family is headed North to Cayucos and I hope to get some flying in there and Morro Bay where Norm flys a lot. 

This is where I fly and I will be here Sept. 4th thru Sept.11th after the Labor Day crowd leaves town. The beach will look just like it does in this video. Turn your speakers up so you hear the waves. Not a bad place to put a kite in the sky. Cayucos is 6 miles North.
I've often wondered if I could fly my kite from Morro Bay to Cayucos on a really low (-) tide.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:42 AM by np » Logged
wagsboyz

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 07:45 PM »

Norm,  Is that the spot you said off at Atascadero think you called it the pit? or gravel pit?  Off at Atascadero left to parking??
np

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 09:03 PM »

Norm,  Is that the spot you said off at Atascadero think you called it the pit? or gravel pit?  Off at Atascadero left to parking??
No, this video was taken from the Morro "Rock" parking lot. I usually will fly here on the "off season". From Cayucos: Go South on Hwy 1. Take the Atascadero/Hwy 41 off ramp. Turn right and you will see a Motel 6 on the left and Morro Bay High School on the right. Keep going all the way to the end of the road and there will be a dirt parking lot. The locals & "surfers" call it the Pit. You shouldn't be bothered with crowds. Although there will be surfers coming and going most of the day.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:45 PM by np » Logged
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 09:04 PM »

Asbury is not even close but at least no kite word on this sign ... YET.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

http://architectdesign.blogspot.com/2012/08/tour-asbury-park.html

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
wagsboyz

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 09:08 PM »

Looks like the kids can boogie board and I can fly....  Looks like a good spot to hit Saturday!
np

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 09:15 PM »

Looks like the kids can boogie board and I can fly....  Looks like a good spot to hit Saturday!
Should be a perfect place for the boys. Would like to see some pics of them Boogie Boarding.
Cayucos could have smaller waves.
np

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 09:20 PM »

Asbury is not even close but at least no kite word on this sign ... YET.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
http://architectdesign.blogspot.com/2012/08/tour-asbury-park.html

Very nice looking "groomed beach" with way too many NO's on the sign. Glad to know "kite" hasn't been added to the list.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:44 PM by np » Logged
wagsboyz

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 09:38 PM »

What a place to take two 10 yr old boys after watching Shark Week on TV... Might have to convince them to get into the water instead of the usual of having to coax them to get out.... Huh Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum