GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 12:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fliers in the San Fernando or Santa Clarita area?  (Read 2539 times)
twhite510
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 16, 2014, 08:12 AM »

Hello All,

I am new to sport kiting and was wondering if there is anybody flying in the San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valley? If so where do they fly? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Right now I fly at a baseball field or at a local school when it is not locked up or full of people.
dragonfish

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 10:50 AM »

Hi and welcome. 

I initially read too fast and thought you said San Francisco or Santa Clara, and got excited.  There are a number of us up here.  Sorry I don't know much about your area.  I hope you find some fliers near you soon. 
twhite510

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 04:04 PM »

Thanks for the welcome.
 I really am not holding out much hope for a reply. As the Valley has virtually no open space without obstructions. Not very conducive for kite flying. So I will fly where ever I can find some space just to get used to the kite.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 04:52 PM »

+1

It's my overall favorite kite by quite a margin! 

6 kite tom
wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 10:41 PM »

Hey and welcome!  I work in the San Fernando Valley but live in Thousand Oaks.  I primarily fly in Oxnard at Oxnard State Beach which is right next to Embassy Suites which is next to Channel Islands Harbor.

We have fliers of single, dual and quad line that are very friendly and helpful.

For you it's a little drive but probably worth it.  You could shoot out the 126 from Santa Clarita or the 101 to Ventura.  Would love to have you come out, there is also a pretty decent kite shop in Ventura Harbor.

Fell free to pm me

Jon

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:53 PM by wagsboyz » Logged
twhite510

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 07:17 AM »

Jon

Thanks for the reply. I got your PM. Thanks for the invite. Going to Oxnard will not be a problem. I will definitely head up there one weekend very soon. I work in Santa Clarita right off the 126. Please let me know one time when you go and I will meat you there. I am learnig duel line flying.
 I will send you a PM with my info.

Thanks for the reply

Tom
wagsboyz

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 02:22 PM »

Sounds good.  Flying with someone when your learning should be a great help it has been for me.

What Kite/s do you currently have and what lines are you flying with?  What type of flying interests you Precision, tricking..??

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:27 PM by wagsboyz » Logged
twhite510

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 03:17 PM »

I currently have a Prism Quantum 85'x150# and a line set of 80'x90#. I also have a Prism 4D 50'x50# all spectra lines. As I am just learning I am trying to get the basics down and some tricks at this point.
wagsboyz

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 04:24 PM »

Sounds great!  Certainly we can help to get you off to a good start.  I'm going out of town next weekend but after that we should get together.  Usually my wife and 2 boys (10yrs) go with me and we make a day of it.  The park name is Oxnard Beach Park off of Harbor Blvd.  They have a parking lot (Pay) but we park on the street very left hand side of the park which is free.

Hope to meet up with you soon!

twhite510

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 06:26 PM »

Good deal.
 I am not too sure about the next few weeks as well. As the 1st is Labor Day weekend. The family usually has get togethers.
 What day do you go Saturday's or Sunday's? I am good either day. Just give me a ring or PM me the next time you go.
np
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 05:57 PM »

Certainly we can help to get you off to a good start. 
Tom, you certainly should take Jon up on this offer. With Jon teaching you with hands on, it will cut your learning curve way down. The park is a great place to fly and Jon and his family are as friendly as you will find anywhere.   
twhite510

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 06:48 PM »

NP Thanks for endorsement. I fully plan on taking Jon up on his offer. I am a visual person that needs to see with my hands so to say. I keep reading and watching video's but I really need somebody there to what I am doing wrong. I feel like I am just flailing about. I do stuff by mistake most of the time so I know I can do it.
 Not sure if anybody is out there in Oxnard during the week in the afternoon. I work until 2:30 and can be out there around 3:30 or so.

Thanks All
np
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 07:24 PM »

I work in Santa Clarita right off the 126.
Tom
I must have drove by your work place Sunday on my way home from Oxnard Beach Park and a week-end spent (Saturday) flying kites with Jon and his family. I also flew again on Sunday down on the beach for a few hours before heading home.

Jon: I got to the field just before 8am on Sunday. There was already three tables set up right in the middle of the field with a guy sitting in a chair in back of the tables. I think other groups are catching on to the kiting group, so they are getting there extra early to get the field for themselves. So, I headed to the beach for some UL flying, which I had until the white caps started to appear.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:57 PM by np » Logged
twhite510

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 08:10 PM »

Yes you did. I am very excited about getting to meet some fellow fliers and get some instruction. I am having a blast just flying around in circles. It will be even better when I am able to really control the kite and do some tricks.
wagsboyz

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 10:10 PM »

Thanks for the kind words Norm. 

Tom,  there are not alot of fliers out on a regular basis most of the time it is just me and maybe another flying single line kites (HUGE) take up most of the park.  I can't get out during the week except for those "sick days" every once in awhile. 

I have been fortunate to have flown with Norm a couple of times now and I can say that my flying has gotten alot better.   

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change