GWTW Forum
November 20, 2014, 06:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fliers in the San Fernando or Santa Clarita area?  (Read 2831 times)
np
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 09:43 PM »

What a place to take two 10 yr old boys after watching Shark Week on TV... Might have to convince them to get into the water instead of the usual of having to coax them to get out.... Huh Cheesy
Jon, within the last month (I can find the exact date) they spotted a Great White just outside the entrance to the Morro Bay Harbor. Might even be able to Google it.
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 10:48 AM »

Most beaches north and south kiting is ban till after the lifeguards leave duty ... every Wendnesday night around 15 miles south of me Cobra Kites of NJ puts on a kite fly in the summer at Seaside Park. Never been but met a pilot once that attended ... but they can only set up after the lifeguards leave at 5PM during the week and 6PM on the weekend. So they choose a Wed..

Whenever I see a stunt kite (rarely) in a crowd in AP I do make the effort to talk to the pilot for him to find a more  isolated spot. Never an issue in the last 10 years. Its mostly SLKs. Sounds foolish on my part but one hospital run with a 10 year old girl and Joe the Captain will come down hard ... hopefully ... AP can stay kite friendly ... but it usually takes only one accident ... with other beaches like Deal, Ocean Grove, Bradley and Belmar all being kite ban beaches N/S of AP.

I am NOT optomistic. At least flying at night under a boardwalk light is COOLER with no/few people ...  Cry Cry Cry.

Its groomed every morning ... its really those black mussels that wash up in the tide cycle that need to be removed (i.e. strong odor) DAILY. Its a must. Keeps the overall beach spotless with these sweeper trucks they use ...

APJ
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:51 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
np

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 07:56 PM »

Its groomed every morning ... its really those black mussels that wash up in the tide cycle that need to be removed (i.e. strong odor) DAILY. Its a must. Keeps the overall beach spotless with these sweeper trucks they use ...
APJ
I wish they would groom the Morro Bay beaches rather than stepping/tripping over huge bunches of sea weed or maybe a dead seal. Fortunately most of the time it is pretty clean. 
twhite510
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2014, 05:46 PM »

I just got back from flying today with Jon and his family. (Super family) We were at Oxnard State Beach. GREAT DAY! The winds were very light but steady. This by far better wind conditions that I have flown in the valley.
 Learned how to Axel from Jon. Much thanks for that. Now i can start practicing that and get it down so I do not have to think about my inputs. I hope to get back up to Oxnard in a few weeks and pick up more tips from Jon.

Norm you are absolutely correct about the wind. It made flying 10 times easier to learn in.

I just want to say to any new fliers. You really need to find somebody that can teach you. This made flying so much more enjoyable.

Jon Thanks again for all of your help today.

Tom
np

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2014, 07:43 PM »

I just got back from flying today with Jon and his family. (Super family) We were at Oxnard State Beach. GREAT DAY!
 Tom
Good for you. Glad you got over to Oxnard Beach Park to meet Jon's family and fly for a day with him. I knew he would teach you to Axel. One day at the beach is worth more than 30 flying in inland winds. Sounds like you had a great day.  Grin
np

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2014, 07:47 PM »

Norm you are absolutely correct about the wind. It made flying 10 times easier to learn in.
Tom
The winds make it 10 times easier to learn and flying with someone else with hands on makes it ten times easier. So, looks like you're already 20 times ahead of where you would have been if you had stayed home.  Cheesy
wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2014, 08:09 PM »

We had a great day!  Your welcome Tom!   It was great meeting you and your wife, sorry the winds weren't very good but we did get some flying in.  I'm glad that we accomplished one of your goals and I look forward to helping with the next one (the fade).

Scott and I finally left around 6:30 which means I spent about 10 1/2 hrs in the park.  GREAT DAY!!!
twhite510

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2014, 08:15 PM »

Norm you are not kidding. I learned more today than the last 2 months since I started flying.

I can't wait until I can get back to Oxnard.  

Jon if that was poor wind conditions, i can't wait to see good conditions.

np

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2014, 08:43 AM »

I'm glad that we accomplished one of your goals and I look forward to helping with the next one (the fade).
This is the "platform" for a lot of tricks and the one to MASTER. Two or three ways to get a fade and Jon can show you. He is the Master of broken Axel to fade.
np

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2014, 08:48 AM »

Scott and I finally left around 6:30 which means I spent about 10 1/2 hrs in the park.  GREAT DAY!!!
Wow, that made for a looooooooooooong day at the park.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2014, 11:45 AM »

hey Norm Let me know when you are headed south again.. We could all meet at oxnard or even better Hermosa beach which is even more consistent wind wise, if you like the lighter stuff. Sorry I didnt jump in sooner but I have been in computer hell.. Hey T I have the best conditions on the planet. with beaches groomed daily and sand like powdered sugar average lab grade winds at 6 mph Oxnard is great but the winds can be a little unpredictable That coming from someone COMPETLY spoiled LOL
Come on down,,,  Kurt

have fun kurt
np

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2014, 12:24 PM »

hey Norm Let me know when you are headed south again.. We could all meet at oxnard or even better Hermosa beach which is even more consistent wind wise, if you like the lighter stuff. Sorry I didnt jump in sooner but I have been in computer hell.. Hey T I have the best conditions on the planet. with beaches groomed daily and sand like powdered sugar average lab grade winds at 6 mph Oxnard is great but the winds can be a little unpredictable That coming from someone COMPETLY spoiled LOL
Come on down,,,  Kurt
Kurt
I have reservations for the week-end of October 18th & 19th in Oxnard. I did have reservations for Columbus Day week-end, but figured the Oxnard Beach Park would be really crowded. So, why don't you and Tracey come on up and lower your standards to fly in 2nd class wind conditions with us at Oxnard. Back to Hermosa Beach; Do you have any recommended Motels? I know I can always look on the internet, but sometimes a recommendation is better than a shot in the dark. I like the sounds of 6 mph on groomed powdered sands. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:32 PM by np » Logged
twhite510

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2014, 01:44 PM »

Kurt,
Thanks for the offer. Hermosa is only 45 minutes or so from the Valley. No traffic. I would really like to head on down one weekend and fly there.
Norm,
I will put October on my schedule to make sure I can make it up to Oxnard that weekend.
Very cool that I am getting to meet some fellow fliers. I can get some lessons from ALL of you.
Besides a day at the beach is better than pretty much any thing else. Even if the winds do not cooperate.
See you all soon.
P.S. Jon Tell Dawn that Kim was super impressed with here art. Kim had a blast yesterday.
np

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2014, 02:36 PM »

Norm,
I will put October on my schedule to make sure I can make it up to Oxnard that weekend.
Very cool that I am getting to meet some fellow fliers. I can get some lessons from ALL of you.
Sounds good.....If you practice the Axel and can get them relatively flat then doing a broken Axel to Fade will be a piece of cake. Then one of us will show you a pancake to fade, which is easier. From there the sky is the limit. You will learn a lot faster (as you already know) flying with someone else, so be sure to take Kurt up on his offer for a trip to Hermosa Beach. Kurt (and the video I took of him) taught me the Half Axel out on the beach right there at Oxnard Beach Park. 
wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2014, 10:04 PM »

It would be great to get together at either place.  I would be in for a ride to Hermosa Beach and I am always up for Oxnard. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum