GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 12:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WA State International Kite Festival  (Read 3719 times)
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 03:42 AM »

Okay.........It's a rather slow night here at work and my investigative juices were flowing, so I googled it...............Long Beach, Wa., USA is the longest continuous peninsula beach on planet earth, at 35 Km.  The actual longest continuous beach on earth is in Brazil at approx 250 km., and I already forgot the name of it..............The reason the sign at Long Beach says longest and not longest peninsula beach, according to a contributor, is that it wouldn't fit on the sign Wink

I hope this doesn't keep any kiting enthusiasts away, now knowing that it is not the longest beach (sic) in the world Cool Sad Huh Shocked

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 05:17 AM »

...so I googled it...............Long Beach, Wa., USA is the longest continuous peninsula beach on planet earth, at 35 Km.

Nothing worth watching on the TV here  Grin

Not entirely sure my local knowledge was correct, so I hit google too.  As far as I can tell from Google maps satellite view, Younghusband Peninsula in the Coorong National Park has a continuous beach of at least 70 Km  Sad   The Adelaide Kite Flyers Association has a buggy run down at least part of its length each year  Tongue  Cool

Mind you, I wouldn't recommend anyone going there for a kite festival.  You'll be pretty lonely, it's a lot further to the shops than the end of Bolstad, and the incoming tide often sucks up the cars of unsuspecting fishermen.

Stick to WSIKF.  I really enjoyed it in 2000, I hope to get back there next year  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 05:21 AM by KaoS » Logged

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Kantaxel

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 06:51 AM »

We certainly hope you do...........(make it here) Smiley

kitegirl
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 10:45 PM »

WSIKF is the best I have been to. Everyone needs to go there at least once. But, then once you have been there you will need to come back again and again. Wink
Kantaxel

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 11:06 PM »

WSIKF is the best I have been to. Everyone needs to go there at least once. But, then once you have been there you will need to come back again and again. Wink

Can we get an AMEN to that? Grin

mikenchico

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 11:36 AM »

Amen

This will be my 20th  Tongue

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Jim Foster

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 05:07 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaamen

This will only be our 7th, but it is already on our calendar for 2010.

If you don't find something at WSIKF that lights your fire, you had better take up another hobby.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
Kantaxel

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 07:44 PM »

I'll be there from Weds to Sun - I can't wait!  We'll have to fly pairs with our matching standards!

We're Thursday to Sun..................yeah pairs ....what you said!

Correction:  Thursday thru Mon Kiss

Correction on the correction:  So many of you will be there for so long that we pulled out the stops (because of our jealousy) and informed our bosses that we would be there on Wed. also  (six full days on the longest peninsula beach in the world).  Now we have to wait to see if we'll have jobs when we return Roll Eyes

Jim   

PS:  It will only be our fourth stop at WSIKF, but we hope to have many more.

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 11:12 AM »

hi all!! it is almost here!! i ended up having to pick up a rental in medford (long story) so i will be driving up from there to long bch starting  the 17th . it lookks to be about a 10hr drive Soooooooooooooo being on vacation and all i was wondering if any1 has a good idea for a 1/2 way stop for what is left of the day and the night?? for my lady and i please let me know and thanx KO ps we are booked at the edgewater mon.- sat so if i have to drive it no big deal but i dont get up that way often

have fun kurt
mikenchico

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 09:48 PM »

10 hours ?? Looks like your planing to go from Medford to Crescent City then follow the coast up? Nice drive but it'll take you 20 hours if your like me and have to stop to see all those beautiful views. It's 6 1/2 hours if you take I5 to Beaverton and take 26 across to Seaside. The easiest drive across the mountains to the coast is to take I5 to Southerlin, take Exit 136 for Hwy 138 to Hwy 38 which follows the Umpqua River to the coast at Reedsport so you don't do any winding up & down and you'll still see most of the Oregon coast. That shortens your trip to under 8 hours.

If you still want to break it up and stop to see some sites etc please post what might be of interest for you. There are many along the Oregon coast, the Dunes, Sea Lion Caves, Air Museums, Aquariums, Cheese factories (gotta try the squeaky cheese  Cheesy) Lighthouses and of course just some fantastic views if the weather is co-operating.

We could also give you plenty to do on Long Beach with the extra day though, Northhead Lighthouse, great view right up the penninsula, Lewis & Clark Museum, Astoria for the Column, Fort & antiques, Illwaco for fishing & antiques, Ocean Park, Jacks Country Store, Marshes Museum, Oysterville and on & on.

Me, I'd drive it through, we'll be leaving here Friday night around 3 AM, my drive to Ashland or Medford for breakfast & fuel, Rhonda takes over to Salem for fuel then I put on some ROCK and get us over the mountains to the coast with four wheels driftin' Wink  Groceries & Fuel in Astoria to save a few bucks, 30 minutes to Long Beach and checked into the cabin by 3-4 PM for the first walk through town and the boardwalk/beach   ahhhh.....

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 09:55 PM »

thanx mike!! looks like you mapped it for me thanx for the local knowledge and see you soon!!

have fun kurt
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document