GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 11:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Organic UL in VERY light wind!  (Read 430 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: August 17, 2014, 03:03 PM »

It's been a long time since I've made a kite flying video but after buying a new Canon EOS SL1 (about a week ago), I was anxious to see how well it performed. Please be kind in critiquing the video.  Wink As you will probably be able to tell from the video itself, the wind was extremely light!

About the kite: I started building this kite (but never finished it) over 5 years ago for a good friend of mine and after re-introducing myself (as mentioned in another thread I posted) to the Organic I had built for myself back then ...I finally got around to finishing my friends build! (good thing he's the patient type of friend Cheesy )

With the winds as light as they were ...I really struggled to keep the kite in front of the tripod & camera but managed to get a few shining moments of what the Organic is capable of doing in flight! In better winds and in better flying hands it should really excel to it's full flying potential ...and it would be a very worthwhile build project for someone else that might be motivated. I hope to make another one or two Organics at some point in the future. I REALLY like this kite! I definitely would like to make another video with it ...and in better winds some time as well.

Here goes nothing: https://vimeo.com/103656885
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 03:06 PM by photogbill » Logged
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 03:50 PM »

Wow, a South east wind at Wildwood... what a treat ! Looks like the kite has a lot of potential in light winds... and good lookin', too !

photogbill

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 08:07 PM »

Wow, a South east wind at Wildwood... what a treat ! Looks like the kite has a lot of potential in light winds... and good lookin', too !

Actually, I don't think south east winds are all that uncommon in Wildwood! Seen them a couple times at least this summer there, in the hand-full of times I've visited for the day. As for "potential"  ...I 'd say there's plenty of that on hand ...in the right hands with the Organic! I'm not sure I followed the build directions to a 'T' ...although that was my intent. The top spreader barely hits the bottom edge of the rub patch, so I'm thinking that I must have measured something ...somewhere slightly different than the plans called for but I'm totally happy with the way the kite flies so I'm not planning on making any changes other than a little bridle adjustment as flying conditions require. I might use a 'c-clip' LE connector stop to slightly move the US rod a little higher ....1/4 inch or so and I'll adjust the placement of that rub patch on future builds!
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 04:26 AM »

I don't know... it seems like every time I go to Wildwood, the winds just don't cooperate. Must be Murphy's Law...

As far as the kite, it looks like you did a great job putting it together, it seems to fly really nice.

asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 05:21 AM »

Of the times I have been there in May just to compete and fly as many different stunt kites I can get my hands to compare against each other and have FUN ... the winds are always STRONG or Standard/Vent level in the afternoon ... its an incredible stretch of wide open beach ... a GEM ... second to none in NJ in terms of a kite field ... of course. In New Jersey SE winds normally come late in the day (2PM or later) and STRONG ... a weak SE is a rarity unless very early in the morning as a standard wind and not a wind shift or near 6PM at night. People seems to be leaving the beach in the background ... what time was this video shot?

APJ

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
photogbill

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 08:25 AM »

Of the times I have been there in May just to compete and fly as many different stunt kites I can get my hands to compare against each other and have FUN ... the winds are always STRONG or Standard/Vent level in the afternoon ... its an incredible stretch of wide open beach ... a GEM ... second to none in NJ in terms of a kite field ... of course. In New Jersey SE winds normally come late in the day (2PM or later) and STRONG ... a weak SE is a rarity unless very early in the morning as a standard wind and not a wind shift or near 6PM at night. People seems to be leaving the beach in the background ... what time was this video shot?

APJ

You pretty much nailed the time frame that I was flying in. IT was between 5 & 7 o'clock. It's about a 2 hour drive to Wildwood for me and not wanting to get up early on my day off...I usually leave early to mid afternoon for the trip to avoid the deluge of traffic coming from Philly! It's been my experience that often the winds are very strong during the early afternoon and become lab-grade perfect as the evening approaches! The most recent forecast ...viewed just before I left home ...called for 7 mph early evening flying. That wasn't the case this time!
photogbill

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 08:26 AM »

As far as the kite, it looks like you did a great job putting it together, it seems to fly really nice.

Thanks Rob!
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:09 AM »

The spot you were IN is about 1/3 of the way to the BEACH. Due to the crowd? the winds may have been better near the water but precluded you from taking a video there due to people always wanting a view of the ocean and crowding the waterline.
Of all the times I was there on Memorial Day weekend for the International I never figured the DIFFERENCE of wind power on the water or 150 yards from the waterline being such a flat beach terrain. Normally any type of wind with an EAST pattern should not make that much of a difference ... other than its COOLER on the pilot at the waterline.
Maybe this was the EXTRA 2 mph you were looking for ... maybe but I doubt it. I could never imagine Wildwood ever being WINDLESS ... just some bad luck. Unfortunately Wildwood is 2 hours from me also from AP with the Garden State Parkway going eventually to ONE LANE  Cry Cry Cry. People keeping telling me the Crest is better ... Wildwood Crest ... no Philly people ... shut up already who is talking vacation hotels and sand dunes ... we are talking about the #1 kite field on the East Coast  Cool Cool Cool.  
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:16 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
photogbill

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 04:03 PM »

The spot you were IN is about 1/3 of the way to the BEACH. Due to the crowd? the winds may have been better near the water but precluded you from taking a video there due to people always wanting a view of the ocean and crowding the waterline.
Of all the times I was there on Memorial Day weekend for the International I never figured the DIFFERENCE of wind power on the water or 150 yards from the waterline being such a flat beach terrain. Normally any type of wind with an EAST pattern should not make that much of a difference ... other than its COOLER on the pilot at the waterline.
Maybe this was the EXTRA 2 mph you were looking for ... maybe but I doubt it. I could never imagine Wildwood ever being WINDLESS ... just some bad luck. Unfortunately Wildwood is 2 hours from me also from AP with the Garden State Parkway going eventually to ONE LANE  Cry Cry Cry. People keeping telling me the Crest is better ... Wildwood Crest ... no Philly people ... shut up already who is talking vacation hotels and sand dunes ... we are talking about the #1 kite field on the East Coast  Cool Cool Cool.  

I didn't say that it was "windless" ...just very light winds ...although I have been on the beach there in years past where I could say that it was windless! I guess I'll have to try Wildwood Crest some time and see if it's preferable. This was probably the most crowded ...people wise ...day trip I've made to Wildwood this summer! Trying to fly out close to the water would have been nearly impossible to do safely. I guess I'll have to consider getting to the beach earlier for those better winds ...although my previous trip there (a couple weeks prior) was perfect with near lab grade light winds at around the same time of day. It was perhaps the best time I've had flying in a long ing time!

My greater point in posting this thread was to to promote my discovery of an excellent kite that others should consider building if they haven't done so before! It truly has great potential, is very forgiving, and a joy to fly!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum