GWTW Forum
September 23, 2014, 07:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The heat didn't stop me from flying...  (Read 436 times)
Jorge Gouverneur
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 17, 2014, 08:53 PM »

It was so hot that my camera overheated twice on me. Still the heat didn't stop me from flying my kites.

SkyBurner Aura UL
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 10:11 PM »

Thanks for posting Jorge!

I've been enjoying the SUL version lately - very fun.

6 kite tom
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 05:39 AM »

Never flown a stunt kite in Florida but played around 300 rounds of golf ... early in the Morning from 7-9:30 AM (hopefully finishing before 11AM) in the Summer ... Palm Coast, Florida. Do you fly v.early in the morning or after 8PM at all in the Summer? I guess the question is ... do you only? ...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

APJ

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 04:50 PM »

Never flown a stunt kite in Florida but played around 300 rounds of golf ... early in the Morning from 7-9:30 AM (hopefully finishing before 11AM) in the Summer ... Palm Coast, Florida. Do you fly v.early in the morning or after 8PM at all in the Summer? I guess the question is ... do you only? ...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

APJ

I prefer after 8PM when is not raining. (I try to fly as much possible after work). on Weekends I like to go from 8-10 AM and also The park I like to go is illuminated at night. So I actually can stay up to around 11:00 PM. flying my kites. 

The earliest I've flown my kites was when I went to Treasure Island This Year, I woke up at 5:30 AM and was flying my kites at 6:00 AM.

asburyparkjohn

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 06:42 PM »

You do have the advantage of flying all year ... I stop between November - February and don't frequent the beach till April consistently ... when I first bought a beach house I went out at 6AM sunrise ... its a good feeling flying from virtually no winds to 10 mph and working through your kite bag.
The best flying zone in AP is a place called Dog Beach where dogs have to leave at 8:30AM ... Its interesting with a beach of 100 dogs although most pack in on their side 100 yards away ... with time I just show up now-a-days at 8AM. I do fly occasionally near my place at night with east winds and the lights on the boardwalk are sufficient ... 

APJ

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 07:41 PM »

Hi asburyparkjohn:

I noticed that most of your kites are UL SUL and SSUL. except The Atelier Transfer xt.z and The Benson Gemini.

I Have:

Atelier Transfer xt.r Std.
Lam Hoac's ATM  SUL
Sky Burner Aura UL
SkyBurner Solus UL
FlyingWings AirWave Zero (Indoor)
FlyingWings Duende 2.2 Std.
FlyingWings Duende 2.2 UL.
Premier Widow NG
Premier Wolf NG
NTK French Connection 2 UL
Eolo Over

I Have them sorted in 2 kite bags. one for high wind kites and another the low wind kites. My favorite winds conditions are for low winds 2-4 MPH for Higher winds 5-10 mph.

For winds over 10 mph I have some old school kites like the Hurricane Stack (6 kites) and a Hawaiian Team Kite Love to fly them with long lines. but I don't fly them very often. I'm more into doing tricks with my kites.

asburyparkjohn

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 03:04 AM »

My bag actually is a bit deeper per se than that ... a Ct. master flyer once said in some ways you really only need two kites ... many people jump from one kite to the next and EACH is a new learning curve ... to excel in tricks stay with one model and know it inside/out. This could be a year ... EASILY. Kite jumping or having six different stunt kite models IMO is a negative. Of course when you are at the point at being able to pull off a comete all the way down to a half axel then do what you want and/or if you are still searching but if your struggling with only a few tricks ... kite jumping EVERY YEAR to a new brand is an issue ... IMO ... actually a PROBLEM  Embarrassed.
I keep the xt.z since it was a recommendation way back from a Master Pilot who said to me this kite just LOVES HIGH WIND ONLY ... seems so ... has Turbo rods, etc ... it does the job in 10-20 mph winds ...

APJ
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:01 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

Captainbob

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 05:30 AM »

I lived in Hollywood Florida for 10 years, and while it is hot, the summer heat in Atlanta is just about as bad, with high humidity and sometimes very little wind. The nice breeze on the coast in Florida, is not available in Atlanta, and you can melt in the heat here. The last couple of days, the heat index was in the 90's. When a 6 mph breeze finally pops up it feels like someone turned on the air conditioning. I was still out there late morning and early afternoon, because that is the only time when you can get any wind at all in the summer.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
Trip
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 09:37 AM »

This past Sunday got the kite bag out and tried to take a few for a ride. The wind was gusting to 15mph... then would immediately drop to nothing. Over and over it did this. All I could get to fly was my NNak and 3-D. Tried my Jaws and Quantum and all they would do is climb and stall. I'm ready for September.

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 05:21 PM »

a Ct. master flyer once said in some ways you really only need two kites ... many people jump from one kite to the next and EACH is a new learning curve ... to excel in tricks stay with one model and know it inside/out. This could be a year ... EASILY. Kite jumping or having six different stunt kite models IMO is a negative. Of course when you are at the point at being able to pull off a comete all the way down to a half axel then do what you want and/or if you are still searching but if your struggling with only a few tricks ... kite jumping EVERY YEAR to a new brand is an issue ... IMO ... actually a PROBLEM  Embarrassed.

APJ

In a way your right. Embarrassed 

I mostly fly for fun. Smiley 

Each kite flies different. Huh  What I normally do is, fly the tricks each kite does best. Also depending on wind conditions I like to choose the kite for that moment. Maybe some day I may consider Undecided taking it to a higher level and will have to decide to stay with a specific kite.  Thanks for the advice APJ.

Jorge
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 05:06 AM »

Every top pilot I ever met has/had his "GO TO KITE." Just be aware that purchasing a NEW DESIGN every year CAN STALL SEVERELY your trick building arsenal (for a lack of a better term).

A good example is the Benson Deep Space ... I could probably do 24 consecutive JL rungs on a Transformer TL and would take a $50 bet anytime/anywhere ... on the DS I would not even take a $0.50 bet with one rung ... you are either ALL IN or OUT with this kite ... INCREDIBLE kite with its NO PULL AT ALL in high winds but its APPLES/ORANGES.

A good example at one of TP's I attended the great DUAL pilot Dave Smith was teaching me the Fade ... the winds were strong and he did tell me these were not great conditions to learn this trick ... he picked up some kite nearby and the kite ended up in a big tangle mess after this short demo ... after turning red ... he turned to me and said ... the winds are too strong and "THIS IS NOT MY KITE."

Just backing up my point ... not promoting the KOOL-AID kites ... in my early days with Custom kites I was unaware of this dilemma on MY LEARNING CURVE.

APJ

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:12 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document