The Beginning - AKA's BIG DILEMMA???

Pages: (1/12) > >>

asburyparkjohn:

Last night in AP I was flying a Transformer TL on 40' X 50# lines as the beach was semi-crowded but felt comfortable in my spot with this line length ... yep ... a mother and a 12 year old kid with a $45 stunt kite. Luckily or un-lucky my line snapped as the wind picked up to 8-10 mph as my only other set was 50' X 90#. So I had two choices ... get the other set and continue in the ZONE or help the kid ... its been a while since I launched a $45 SK with package wrapping line. I keep thinking no wonder this sport struggles ... there are no tools to QUICKLY get a pilot from that stage to a Prism-Quantum with 75' X 90# lines and with proper wrist straps (its all self-taught).
Told the Mom after around 2 dozen nose plants with the 45* degree central window exercises in just keeping the kite airborne about this information and she seemed commited as having flown single line kites as a child ... she had the spirit ... so to speak ... I know when I went from Prism to Custom and starting attending these AKA events the knowledge from experienced pilots was INCREDIBLE.
I think the AKA should make some arrangment with Prism to get Videos out there or just a CD with videos on getting kids with Hypo's and Quantums with 75" X 90# lines and straps just from the get-go.
As I flew this $45 kite I had trouble keeping it up in the corners ... really ... with 8-10 mph semi-choppy west winds.
I read some recent polls ... most AKA members fly SLK, then stunt and then quad.
This video should be clear - avoid $50 stunt kites NOT from Prism - go to the $100 level or DON"T BOTHER.
I know ... I am dreaming AKA ... I do like the entire beach all to myself ...  ::) ::) ::)
Its IN THE VERY BEGINNING were you LOSE all your young pilots. This kid had NO CHANCE to continue and what Mom is going to spend $150 on an uncertainty UNLESS properly instructed.
I know I will see Chester out soon with his new Quantum ...

APJ

Captainbob:

As someone that just started flying kites about 7 months ago, I quickly realized a few facts of kite life:

1. Inland winds are difficult to both learn and fly kites. Many days, I go to the field and return home without flying. This probably discourages many people from either buying their first kite, or getting serious about kiting.
2. Reading forums and asking questions before you buy anything is a good idea, to avoid buying kites that you won't like or can't use.
3. Trying to find another flier to ask questions, and try OPK's is very difficult if not impossible for most people especially inland. I live in a city of 5,000,000 people and so far I have met 2 other kite fliers, and they were met via  kiting forums.
4. Don't get discouraged when you read posts by kite flying addicts, that tell you if you don't have a garage  full of kites, you won't ever be any really good at flying kites or won't be able to fly on any given day. My first kite was a foil, which I quickly became bored with and hardly ever fly. I then bought a Rev SLE standard, and was almost instantly told via forums that also needed to  buy a full vent and mid bent too, otherwise I would be frequently  unable to fly due to wind conditions. ( wow, that's $1,000 for Revs alone)   Guess what, my Std does about 85% of my Rev flying, and the B series mid vent the other 15%. ( Total cost for both less than $500)  If I had purchased a full vent, it probably would be for sale by now due to lack of use.
5. I also found that I liked dualies, and because of the poor wind conditions in Atlanta, my most flown dualies are the Prism 4D which was quickly replaced by a Niknak which flies so much better. Then I added a Zephyr, and then a Freestylist UL, which is now my most flown Dualie. For the strong wind days which are rare, I have a Widow NG.

So if I had this to do all over again, I think a Niknak, a Freestylist UL, and either a Freestylist std or Widow NG would be all the Dualies that I would need.  For Revs, the SLE and Mid Vent.  Can't think of a good  reason to buy anything else.

asburyparkjohn:

Its this new learning curve that keeps me away from Rev's at 60 (IMO - its too late) - I also have a small flying field which is why I fly 40-60' lines. With dual line kites and revs I guess you are ALL-IN and addicated or semi-addicted ... but its the usual new flyer at 35+ years old ... its the money $$$ needed to enjoy the sport. My point of the post is that most kids never REALIZE this fact and then QUIT.
Its interesting ... consider this sport to Golf (i.e., a sport similar to Golf in terms of its a alot harder than it looks). When someone retires they get their new set of Titanium clubs even if not Ping but say McGregor (lesser tuned model) but they are already at a Prism level with straps and a real kite line. They just need to practice and have forums to practice (public and private courses). I use to play at a private course in my 30 & 40's to a 6-handicap.
After 15 minutes Chester was flying around for 30s and then nose planting ... but he had NO CHANCE if I was not there and spent 30 minutes with him on some basics. No chance ... I think that is a root cause for many new pilots not showing up ... I should start a AP SK School ...  :D :D :D.
There is no easy answer and maybe the AKA and the Internet is the only answer to bring-in and teach new pilots ... these AKA events are FUN ... but simply are NOT reaching the masses.

APJ

Captainbob:

Quote from: asburyparkjohn on August 18, 2014, 08:38 AM
--
Its this new learning curve that keeps me away from Rev's at 60 (IMO - its too late) - I also have a small flying field which is why I fly 40-60' lines. With dual line kites and revs I guess you are ALL-IN and addicated or semi-addicted ... but its the usual new flyer at 35+ years old ... its the money $$$ needed to enjoy the sport. My point of the post is that most kids never REALIZE this fact and then QUIT.
Its interesting ... consider this sport to Golf (i.e., a sport similar to Golf in terms of its a alot harder than it looks). When someone retires they get their new set of Titanium clubs even if not Ping but say McGregor (lesser tuned model) but they are already at a Prism level with straps and a real kite line. They just need to practice and have forums to practice (public and private courses). I use to play at a private course in my 30 & 40's to a 6-handicap.
After 15 minutes Chester was flying around for 30s and then nose planting ... but he had NO CHANCE if I was not there and spent 30 minutes with him on some basics. No chance ... I think that is a root cause for many new pilots not showing up ... I should start a AP SK School ...  :D :D :D.
There is no easy answer and maybe the AKA and the Internet is the only answer to bring-in and teach new pilots ... these AKA events are FUN ... but simply are NOT reaching the masses.

APJ

--

I turned 74 three days ago..... ;)

asburyparkjohn:

That's inspiring ... lets see what full retirement does in two years at 62 but I am not burnt out yet from the stunt kite ... only suggestion before I forget as most people your age go to revs from stunts or simply stay with SLKs since it needs LESS body movement and physical work from my observations at kite festivals ... if you are thinking of giving up stunts at 84 ... try a Fearless first ... since you basically just standing there and thinking the kite through a JL ... I have to stop drinking this pink Kool-Aid ...  :D :D :D.

APJ

Pages: (1/12) > >>