GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 10:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Gemini  (Read 1923 times)
hdegive
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 04, 2009, 08:26 AM »

I haven't seen too much posted on the latest version of the Gemini. Does anyone have a review or comment?
Thanks,
Henry
Bill Rogers
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 09:07 AM »

A quick comment I guess. I haven't flown mine much, yet, but have a bunch of hours on the old Gemini from 5+ years ago.

Didn't do a direct comparison, but the kite feels like a Gemini to me. Makes roll ups much easier. I could roll up the old Gem but was limited in what I could do then. Now with the roll bars you can do any kind of unroll you want. That is obviously the basic difference, yo-yo's.

There are other things, it has a Skyshark frame now, and I think Tim did a nip and tuck here and there, but to me the basic difference was the yo-yo's.

See ya,
Bill
fworley
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 11:31 AM »

Here you go ... this review courtesy of Glen Warren, NC

http://www.kiteclique.com/?p=465

I have one .. its lots of fun ... improved new school tricks ... with all the old style retained.

Recommended.

-Frazer
hdegive

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 03:59 PM »

Thanks for the advice. Is there an UL available too  Wink
Henry
fworley
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 04:10 PM »

Thanks for the advice. Is there an UL available too  Wink
Henry
There's a similarly updated Gem UL and Minigem.

I have the UL - its flies in very little wind and its a lot of fun - very, err .. chuckable.

Loves to be combo'd from this to that back to this again.

-Frazer
anOldMan

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 01:09 AM »

If you can find a new (tri-star bridle) gemini for sale, get it. You will not be disappointed.

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Adicakes
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 02:17 AM »

I've seen it elsewhere (several times), but I'll say it again - yes it's worth it, so buy one. Smiley
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 09:55 AM »

Glen Warren's review reminds me of the saying, "Success is the quality of the journey, not a destination." From the review, it sounds like the new Gem also has that phrase stitched into the fabric.  Cool

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Jest_of_Eve

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 01:54 PM »

My new-style Gem is every bit a Gemini. I cut my teeth on this kite so I know it rather well.

It's all the same kite but the SS frame adds a little more momentum, particularly in pitch-work, which can be done without any weighting. However, I added a pinch of tail weight to improve backflip speed and I was more at home.

The SS frame also adds a little more confidence. I know I broke many a LE spar, with the Skyshark frame it's less of an issue.

I found that the new framing is a little bit harder to 'pull-down' into that classicly awesome Gem Crazy-Copter, but this is understandable since the added bulk makes it a little less accessible than the Structil version, at least across the whole frame.

Simply put, Tim wouldn't drop this without testing so don't worry. It's a Gem, and a nice build too.

Mark

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
anOldMan

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 01:56 PM »

It seems that Tim Benson does not believe in "Planned Obsolescence". His kites seem, with a little modification, to age right into the new age. A great Kite!

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Jest_of_Eve

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 02:03 PM »

It seems that Tim Benson does not believe in "Planned Obsolescence". His kites seem, with a little modification, to age right into the new age. A great Kite!

Damn right! Apart from forgetting how to Comete the kite I learned to Comete on.....It does a whole bunch of stuff, just look at Lars for proof!

Mark

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 09:15 AM »

This is one of my go to kites. I love it. It's pretty much a must have for all kite enthusiasts.

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change