GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 02:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Beginning - AKA's BIG DILEMMA???  (Read 1937 times)
Captainbob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2014, 10:42 AM »

I have found more activity on some of the Facebook pages related to kiting, than most of the forums. Prism Kite Flyers, Sky Burner Kites, Emerald coast Kite Flyers Club, Dodds Flight School, Flying Smiles Kites, Revolution Kites by Bazzer,Revolution Videos, Rev/Revo Geeks, Street /Urban Kite Flying  just to name a few that usually have more than a few posts a week , along with videos and photos, on each Facebook page.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2014, 12:05 PM »

Yup. Facebook's where a lot of people go. It's rise has coincided with the reduced activity on other types of sites, but it's still a pretty small group of hardcore folks world wide. Membership in the hundreds for most pages.

Allen, AKA kitehead
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2014, 07:09 AM »

Just saw this on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204714168997966

Talks about the 70s kite fad started by Peter Powell.

- New Fad
- Growth
- Maturation
- Tapering
- Where we are today

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2014, 07:43 AM »

To get back to the original topic, I'm not against the AKA. I wish them success. I am a habitual volunteer, in my 40's with 4 kids still in school. I see how countless hours of volunteering to pull something together is satisfying, but you wish you could reach thousands or tens of thousands when you're usually only reaching hundreds at most.

I know they have a huge job ahead of them and most people don't see the fruits of their efforts. As far as my situation, they're a non-factor. I promote kiting to everyone I run into. Here in the midwest I occasionally get cars pulling off the road when I'm flying at the school. I fly SLK's, dualies and quads. I have to pay attention to the winds more because I'm an 1.5 hours from the nearest beach. I know it will always be a niche sport/hobby and I consider myself lucky to have more than a few fliers in the west Chicagoland area. IKE has been great to bring us together.

I accept what kiting is to me and what it may not be to others. I do it for me, not them. I'm happy to be able to participate in the forum, but I also don't always have time, being so busy. I don't think that forum activity is necessarily a harbinger of future circumstances. Several new posters have chimed in, so they're out there and lurking and probably appreciating other comments and advice. Many others just don't feel the need to post as much either, which is perfectly fine too.

I enjoy it all and hopefully it will still be a community that I can participate in, no matter the size.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change