GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 01:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flown On The 4th Of July  (Read 3193 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: July 04, 2009, 11:03 PM »

So what kites did you fly on the 4th?
I'm thinking RWB for this thread, but any kite is fine with me.

I didn't bring the camera (  Shocked ), but I did fly this beauty with a 100' x 4" RWB tube tail. Sweet kite. Photo taken from a 2008 fly in Las Vegas.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 12:33 AM »

unfortunately the only thing i flew today was to the store for ice cream to go with apple pie.

wish i'd been there with ya john, she looks a beaut'.

Fdeli
sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 08:46 AM »

I flew a blue fade HQ Midi re-framed with Sky Shark 2PTs and a Rev-style kite I made in 1993. I usually only fly the Rev-style kite on Canada Day, but I was so pleasantly surprised with its light wind flight compared to my Race Rodded '95 Rev I, that flew it some more.

Clickable thumbnail

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 10:00 AM »

I flew a blue fade HQ Midi re-framed with Sky Shark 2PTs and a Rev-style kite I made in 1993. I usually only fly the Rev-style kite on Canada Day, but I was so pleasantly surprised with its light wind flight compared to my Race Rodded '95 Rev I, that flew it some more.

Clickable thumbnail

Maybe you need these to with that....

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2643698370042220097iFRHKG

"Do what you like"
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 02:56 PM »

None of them were red, white and blue but this is what I flew on the 4th:

Fearless SUL
Mohawk XS UL
Sea Devil Light
Nirvana FX
Over

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 10:09 PM »

... a Rev-style kite I made in 1993. I usually only fly the Rev-style kite on Canada Day, but I was so pleasantly surprised with its light wind flight compared to my Race Rodded '95 Rev I, that flew it some more.

Steve,
Would that hand-made be framed with P200's  ?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:13 PM by Dano » Logged
MB
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 10:50 PM »

Fighter kites with my son, which never happens.  We're not so hot, but we did get a little line touch going.

Matt
sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 09:14 AM »

Steve,
Would that hand-made be framed with P200's  ?

It was made in '93. I based it on plans in a German book for a 2 metre sized kite called the Speed Rev. I scaled the plans up for a 109" leading edge, as I had some of those .352" x 54.5" ProSpar Comp CP-19Ls, a nice stiff and durable stick for the time. The verticals are .309" x 39.4" ProSpar Comp CP-16Ms It has a bit of camber built into it and flies a notch easier in the light stuff than my real Rev I with Race Rods.

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
pfouts
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 01:51 PM »

Unfortunately no photos of the kite in the air ...  It howled loudly as well ....  well not WASP loudly, but still ...

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 03:52 PM »

great looking kite paul!! looks like the rocket in   rockets red glare the_____

have fun kurt
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 07:14 AM »

Manzanita, OR beach flying Zerostar, Mantis UL, and Deep Space on 4th. It was mostly a week of extremes. Four days of wind conditions for SUL from 6am to 10am and Vented Rev II from 10am to near sun down, sustained winds 25 - 30, with higher gusts. Two days, 3rd and 4th, had great flying conditions all day long.

Trip got off to a shaky start with three dog hassles in the first two hours of spotty SUL flying. First morning, 6am start flying in light and variable wind (0 mph at times). At about 6:30, with only three people and three dogs in view for over a mile in each direction, one dog tries to chomp a kite, but I reached the grounded kite first. The dog then decide my kite bag looked like a fire hydrant. Kicked sand on the dog just before it found relief. Two more dog hassles in the next two hours. The rest of the week only had a few more dog incidents, so all-in-all, it wasn't too bad. The 4th had the usual oblivious people walking between me and the kite, but wind was stable enough to fly in other areas of the wind window.

Played with a new combination for me on the Zerostar and got more consistent holding tip stab wing tip stand on packed sand. Nothing to grip the wing tip, so it had to be balanced upon landing to prevent the tip from sliding across the sand. I had been giving more pressure to the lower wing to land, but found out I had more precise control releasing pressure on the upper wing and holding the pressure constant on the lower wing to land on a wing tip.

Combination was held fade, two or three flic flacs until about 3/4 way down window, held flare until just off the beach, 540, and landing on wing tips. Noting fancy, but it was pleasing to watch the slow motion graceful movements of the Zerostar. I usually don't string tricks together like that, due to spotty winds, but the steady beach wind made it easy.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
RenoKiteKids
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 03:06 PM »

Here's what we flew

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change