GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 11:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Action Kites "Firedart" spine and stand-off specs  (Read 512 times)
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+19)

« on: August 25, 2014, 08:42 PM »

I acquired a "Firedart" that seems to have had the spine chopped off and tucked inside the re-inforcement material that held the bungie to nock connection. Anyone have one they could measure the spine? Also, there are tabs sewn into the trailing edge that I assume are for stand-offs. I'd like to get a reference for the configuration used for the models that used stand-offs. I know some came without but believe they were added at some point in their production.
Thanks for your help.....

Anthony
Charles G
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 09:17 PM »

Here's a pic of the spine on one of my Firedarts, the other is the same. Neither one has standoffs, so I'm unable to help there.

whitebirdlover

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 10:05 PM »

So Charles,
That's interesting. Is that a one piece spine? Perhaps that's the configuration on mine, I haven't taken it out of the pocked but there are brass eyelets that suggest it once had bungies so I assumed it had a nock at the end of the spine.
Hmmm..... Thanks for the photo!

Anthony
Charles G
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 06:19 AM »

It does appear to be a one piece spine, but I'll double check that this evening. The spine fits into pockets at the nose and tail on both kites. The picture shows the tail end of the spine.

Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 06:38 AM »

As to the stand-offs, they had an arrow nock which grabbed the sewn-on tags. Other end to fit into a piece of tubing on the LS. More here.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 07:40 AM »

If the spine is held in by a bungee for an old school kite you can make the spine what ever you like..  Just use the bungee to make the skin tight.... Not like any extra weight will make a difference to it.   
Just a thought...
Some of the companies that used tubular fiberglass would do an internal ferrule in the spine glued permanently to get the extra length needed.  They fit petty close so it might look like it is really one piece....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
whitebirdlover

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 05:40 AM »

As to the stand-offs, they had an arrow nock which grabbed the sewn-on tags. Other end to fit into a piece of tubing on the LS. More here.

Lex, what did you decide to use on your 'darts.
The pics in the linked post were removed...

Anthony
Daedalus
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 05:43 PM »

I don't know if these will be helpful but here are some pictures of the standoffs from my newly-acquired Fire Dart.

In Bag: NoNaMe, Hyperkites Hot Wing, SD Neptune, Fire Dart, HQ Silent Dart 60 Retro, HQ Jive II, Moon Dart, Prism Snapshot 1.2, Prism Stowaway Parafoil. 1.5 Meter Rokkaku, 1.8 Meter Edo, Green's Kites Fighter (2), HQ 2 Meter Delta, 1.5 Meter Conyone, Assorted Laundry
whitebirdlover

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 05:51 PM »

Thanks for the pics D...

That's a 'use what ya got' setup for sure... Wink

Anthony
Daedalus
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 07:21 PM »

Thanks for the pics D...

That's a 'use what ya got' setup for sure... Wink

Well, it was the before time - the long ago. It was the heavy time; before the light of carbon.

Kidding aside, they do totally work on my kite. Standoffs were optional back then so I suppose anything's possible.

(edit) I got the kite from Charly. He may know if these are factory standoffs.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:29 PM by Daedalus » Logged

In Bag: NoNaMe, Hyperkites Hot Wing, SD Neptune, Fire Dart, HQ Silent Dart 60 Retro, HQ Jive II, Moon Dart, Prism Snapshot 1.2, Prism Stowaway Parafoil. 1.5 Meter Rokkaku, 1.8 Meter Edo, Green's Kites Fighter (2), HQ 2 Meter Delta, 1.5 Meter Conyone, Assorted Laundry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change