GWTW Forum
November 25, 2014, 02:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diamonds are Forever  (Read 1169 times)
Daedalus
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: September 03, 2014, 10:14 PM »

In my youth I flew many, many hours on a Trlby stack. I flew them until the sails wore out. Mine are sadly gone and I'm finding myself missing them. I've got a bag of wings and they're fun and exciting to be sure. But that big 'ol, pretty stack of multicolored polyethylene diamonds dragging 45 foot long tubular tails through the air had a certain je ne sais quoi.

Of course Trlby are no longer making kites. I'm wondering if there is a modern equivalent: something easily stackable, readily available and not overly expensive.

Best regards

In Bag: NoNaMe, Hyperkites Hot Wing, SD Neptune, Fire Dart, HQ Silent Dart 60 Retro, HQ Jive II, Moon Dart, Prism Snapshot 1.2, Prism Stowaway Parafoil. 1.5 Meter Rokkaku, 1.8 Meter Edo, Green's Kites Fighter (2), HQ 2 Meter Delta, 1.5 Meter Conyone, Assorted Laundry
Charles G
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:57 AM »

Peter Powell stunters or Dyna Kites would be your best option these days.

Daedalus

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 07:35 AM »

Thanks!  I"ll have to look into them.  Those are some old names.  Glad to see they're still around.

In Bag: NoNaMe, Hyperkites Hot Wing, SD Neptune, Fire Dart, HQ Silent Dart 60 Retro, HQ Jive II, Moon Dart, Prism Snapshot 1.2, Prism Stowaway Parafoil. 1.5 Meter Rokkaku, 1.8 Meter Edo, Green's Kites Fighter (2), HQ 2 Meter Delta, 1.5 Meter Conyone, Assorted Laundry
Boats13
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 08:36 PM »

Taught my son to fly stunt on an ancient Coast Kite 6-stack, today.  They are smaller than Trlbys were!  20 minutes or so instruction/coaching and turned him loose... Epic afternoon. I'd second Charles' PP or Dyna Kite suggestions... DK shipped next morning after a Very late night order for parts. Seem like great people.
Boats
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 04:54 AM »

Saw a Rainbow stack on eBay lady night that might be worth a look if you wanted old Skool!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Daedalus

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:09 AM »

Saw a Rainbow stack on eBay lady night that might be worth a look if you wanted old Skool!!!

I saw that as well and was tempted. Though the sails looked a little worn and I am loath to sew up some new ones  Cheesy

northwavesailor
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 11:44 AM »

"Though the sails looked a little worn and I am loath to sew up some new ones  Cheesy"

My opinion (and I have no interest at all in this E-Bay sale) is these Rainbows appear to be in very good or great shape! I looked at all the photos and so no indication of wear. Again, just my opinion.
I have a stack of 6, my wife has a stack of 3.

Fun little stack of 5 Rainbows for someone!

[/quote]
Daedalus

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 12:32 PM »

"Though the sails looked a little worn and I am loath to sew up some new ones  Cheesy"

My opinion (and I have no interest at all in this E-Bay sale) is these Rainbows appear to be in very good or great shape! I looked at all the photos and so no indication of wear. Again, just my opinion.
I have a stack of 6, my wife has a stack of 3.

Fun little stack of 5 Rainbows for someone!

You're right. I thought there was discoloration from UV or wet storage on the first sail but it looks like it was due to the second kite in the stack showing through (doh). Don't mind me. I need to look at this stuff on my desktop machine from now on.

kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 06:51 AM »

if you are still looking for rainbows, I still have some new in the tubes

also have a 12 stack of original Peter Powell's only flown once

and some Trilby's

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:56 AM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Boats13

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 01:36 PM »

I would worry more about the fittings being brittle. However, I bet Beetle noses would swap right in...
Daedalus

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 04:58 PM »

That exact Trlby 3 stack is what got me started. I even had the same colors Smiley

PM sent on the pretty rainbows  Grin

photogbill

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 01:14 PM »

A single ripstop 'Trilby' was my very first stunt kite ...many, many years ago. Hadn't flown any diamond shaped stutters much since then until this past summer at Wildwood when I flew a 3 kite stack that Kurtis Jones was gracious enough to let me fly for awhile! Can't remember if they were a Peter Powell stack or Dyna Kites ...but they were smooth and graceful, a big improvement over the Trilby, IMHO.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 02:02 PM »

I had a Triby 6 stack back in the day. Came with nylon lines.  In heavy winds the stretch in the line was 3 feet.  made control a challenge.  Cheesy

We have come a long way since then. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum