GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 12:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leading edge glides - an idea  (Read 1836 times)
oldflyer
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: July 05, 2009, 12:05 PM »

Leading Edge Glides – an idea

I know that most new sport kites these days are equipped with covered leading edges that avoid the need for leading edge glides. However, I have been experimenting with adding my own ‘glides’ to some of my older kites. I started by using cable ties to cover the upper leading edge fittings. They work ok but I don’t find them 100% foolproof. I have recently moved to using a section of home brew syphon tube. I bought it off Ebay very cheaply but you could buy it from any home brew shop.

I start with a length of tube like this…

Next slit it in half down the length like this…

Finally, insert it into the upper leading edge cut outs

The finished item…..

I’m not sure if anyone else has tried this approach? I find it very successful. Although the tubing is a little bit heavier than cable ties, it works very well.

Hope this is helpful

Nigel  Grin
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 01:05 PM »

wow that seems like a good idea! maybe ill put them on a capable old school kite and mess with it sometime.
thanks for posting!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 01:31 PM »

Unless you're adding yoyo stoppers and doing pitch tricks on your older kites, I don't really see the need for the glides.

Without yoyo stoppers, you want the US connectors exposed to hopefully catch the wrapped lines and allow controlled flight.

Thanks for the idea though.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 02:03 PM »

John, I mean kites like an Older Mamba that dont have the edges covered.
I have an old one that i might be selling-  maybe the new owner possibly would be interested in hearing about it.
cant you do that with like zipties or something (covering the upperfittings)? I thought i saw something like that somewhere...

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 08:03 PM »

I started by using cable ties to cover the upper leading edge fittings. They work ok but I don’t find them 100% foolproof.
Nigel  Grin

I am curious as what you found lacking in the zip ties?  My only complaint was occasional slippage when the leading edge was detensioned, but a quick trip to the local pharmacy store solves that. 

Tubing similar to what you are using can be found at the pet store where the keep the fish tanks.  It's used in the filtration system for aquariums and is available in various gauges/sizes. 

My only concern would be that unless you are using leadrer lines the softer tubing material would be prone to nicking and eventual snagging by Spectra lines (although replacements would be cheap.

ATB,
Sam
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 08:46 PM »

Longevity doesn't seem to be an issue with vinyl tubing.  L'Atelier use  black vinyl tubing for the glides on their Transfers and Double Zero (and possibly others).  Instead of slicing it in half, they cut one side so the connector can fit inside it and the whole lot slides onto the spar.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
KeithG
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 06:28 AM »

My two Akuji, comp and UL have these. It looks like clear aquarium tubing.

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 07:33 AM »

Very old idea.  Lots of people were using things like this on ULE connectors after yo-yo's became all the rage, but before designers started incorporating covered ULE fittings into their designs.

Zip ties, aquarium tubing, cut out strips of plastic soda bottles (my personal favorite).  I used to carry a stack of those things around in my toolkit.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:24 AM by RonG » Logged
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 11:14 AM »

thank you nigel for the clearly written and well illustrated post.  Smiley

Fˇdeli°
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 03:57 PM »

+1 thank you

have fun kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document