GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 12:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Second thoughts  (Read 2128 times)
MB
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: July 05, 2009, 10:44 PM »

My 15 year old son just wasn't using his fighter kite and decided to sell it.  Well, since the subject was fresh in our minds, we took my younger son's and my fighters to the park on the 4th of July.  Wouldn't you know it he had a lot of fun and asked, "You could make me a fighter couldn't you?"  Roll Eyes

I'm such a sucker for any kite interest my boys show, so I told him I could and I had lots of fabric scraps so we could make a cool design.  I can already see that we won't be making just one kite with two boys in the house.

Matt
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 11:56 AM »

Looking at making a few fighters myself again to see if I can get some of the locals to play. Been a long time since I've competed or even flown them and my old ones must have suffered some ravages of time or I've completely lost what little skill I had.

Do you use an available plan or your own? Carbon, bamboo or spruce spine? Sewn design or do you do one of your wild paint jobs on them?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:59 PM »

Flying  a fighter is like falling off a bicycle. Even if you haven't done it in a while your muscles remember.   Smiley

I was seriously into fighters as a kid in the mid '70s. Then "normal" teenage activities got in the way of kiting.

Fast forward to 1998 and I buy my first modern fighter (Jeff Howard). After two decades it only took me a couple hours to get the feel back. Of course, my muscles remembered a larger mylar and fiberglass kite. The new one was a bit quicker.  Huh

Allen, AKA kitehead
MB

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 09:36 PM »

Do you use an available plan or your own? Carbon, bamboo or spruce spine? Sewn design or do you do one of your wild paint jobs on them?
So far I have used Bruce Lambert's patterns available on line.  I've done "Spunky" a few times, but my son has flown that and wanted something bigger that wasn't so...um..spunky.  

I've only done all carbon framing with a line from the tip to a Prussic knot on the spine to adjust the bend of the nose.  No wild paint jobs.  The only paint job is the one on my avatar.  No sewing, just seam taping with the super strong stuff.

Matt
spence602
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 04:58 AM »

Bruce's Big Slow Dog isn't spunky, but it's a great kite for 1-5 MPH.  His Huntin' Dog is good for 2-8 MPH and one of my favorites.

Other FK plans can be found at http://www.nafka.net/plans/.

Bamboo spines are not readily available, but you can get them from Bruce (or PM me and I'll send you a few).  I haven't tried a flat CF spine on any of the Dog series.

Spence
normofthenorth

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 12:10 PM »

One World Kites will get you going in a hurry for chump change. When I build, my all-time fave is BASF, Bruce's Almost Square Kite, by Bruce Lambert. His F3 (File Folder Kite) is almost identical, and also great. And his more advanced designs are terrific -- a bit harder to build, and faster flying and turning.

If anybody's got a handle on the cheap (tissue-and-bamboo) Indonesian fighters that Bruce and John McKenzie of NFKA/NAFKA used to sell, please share! Great fliers, used to be US$1 each!

If you can't find bamboo easily enough (or want to make an all-synthetic kite, e.g., for crashing into water), you can make a pretty good spine from CF, just like the bow. You have to curve it with some kind of adjustable bow string arrangement. Not rocket science, several ideas are online, or you could use one that's used for bowing Buka kites or others. Rolling hitches, small tubing, glass beads, etc., etc.

Norm in Toronto
MB

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 08:50 PM »

Thanks, I was looking at the F3 as a possiblity for more laid back fighter flying.

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum