GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 06:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with new Silver Fox 2.5 standard, please  (Read 5437 times)
facesnorth
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 09:35 PM »

I drove about an hour 15 minutes today to buy some zap a gap CA glue (called everywhere and that was the closest) and some O-rings.  I first did the ferrule in the lower spreaders, going for 3" sticking out, and it dried with about 3 5/8" sticking out.. Oh well, hopefully that will be sufficient.

Then I went to do the one on the spine, and I did this one much quicker to get it as close as possible to 2 3/8" sticking out.  Well I got it so just a hair under that is sticking out, maybe 2 5/16" sticking out.  But when I went to flap the felt up over the velcro covering the spine, it seems from the fold where it used to be, and where the velcro naturally wants to attach which is about where the top of the felt matches the top of the velcro pad reveals the spine used to be about 1 5/8" longer than I have it now.  I would just like someone with a SF 2.5 standard to verify what the length of the spine including the extension should be from tip to tip?  If I fold it over taught, it doesn't feel right, it feels short, and there is a lot of extra slack on the felt sticking up over the velcro.

Regarding the upper spreaders, I'm not sure I want to mess with it.  I slid them apart, and banged on the ferrule a little, and they both seemed fairly solid still, so I don't know if I want to go through all the hassle of removing the c clips above the connectors if it's not necessary.

It's a used kite, BTW, bought on ebay a week or so ago, but the guy that sold it to me said it only flew for about 15 minutes, and he definitely seems trustworthy to me (he even gave me a bunch of extras, including a 3 meter Quadtrac with lineset, and a 100' 150# dual lineset.  He said he bought it to leave open for noobs that came by and were interested to try out kite flying so he didn't have to let them fly his Aerostar Sano SSL+ or his Mamba.  But soon after he bought it, he won a Quantum in a raffle and feels it serves the purpose better so he put the SF up on ebay.
facesnorth

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 11:35 AM »

As I suspected, mine is short, about 35" including the ferrule.  That's with 2 3/8" of ferrule sticking out of the spine.  Did I just royally screw up my kite?  How am I going to get the ferrule out with all that zap a gap?  There's gotta be 5 inches of ferrule inside the spine with zap a gap all over it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:01 PM by facesnorth » Logged
facesnorth

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 12:06 PM »

I'm guessing I should remove the spine from the sail before doing so?  I guess I will be removing at least one c clips after all...  I don't have acetone, I will have to go out and buy that.
facesnorth

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 12:21 PM »

bringing some water to boil now

update:  OK I've had the ferrule and lower portion of the spine sitting in boiling water for a total of about 8 minutes now.  I tried lightly hammering both the ferrule into the spine, and the spine down onto the ferrule.  Not budging at all.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:34 PM by facesnorth » Logged
facesnorth

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 12:52 PM »

I don't have the spreaders in place.  I pulled the sail up close to the T connector and tied the bungee around it tight to hold it.  Then with the water boiling in a pot on an outer coil of my stove, I stood the kite up on the floor and leaned it against the stove so just the lower portion of the spine with ferrule is sitting in the boiling water.  The steam isn't touching the kite sail.  It's been in there over 20 minutes now, and even the little bits of zap a gap that are coming out the bottom of the spine haven't softened.
facesnorth

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 12:53 PM »

OK I'm letting it cool off now.
facesnorth

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 01:07 PM »

Throughout that 20 minutes I took it out every few minutes and tried tapping.

I just let it cool off and tapped again, now I'm boiling it again.
facesnorth

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 01:36 PM »

Dude, u da man!  Finally knocked it out.  Now I'm gonna try and clean it up and then make it the appropriate 91.5 cm.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 01:43 PM by facesnorth » Logged
facesnorth

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 01:50 PM »

According to this site http://www.manuelsweb.com/in_cm.htm, 91.5cm is exactly equal to 36 inches.  The spine appears 1/16 short of 32.5" so I'm going to stick the ferrule out 3.5 and 1/16" this time.
facesnorth

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 02:34 PM »

OK I've got it zapped up again and everything is perfect.  Can't wait to fly this puppy.  Unfortunately today was my day to fly but there's no time left for it, so I may not get a chance again until next week.  That's OK though, I'm just glad everything is OK now with the kite.  Hopefully the leading edge spars will be OK, the ferrules seem tight enough.  I just didn't feel like dealing with the hassle of removing the c-clips.  Thanks everybody for helping with this.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 08:38 PM »

C-clips are easy after what you just did!

I just grab onto them with some small pliers - a little twist and then pop right off the spar.  Generally, you can even re-glue them back on if you are careful in taking them off.

6 kite tom
facesnorth

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 10:34 PM »

I'd be more comfortable if I had spare c clips lying around.  I'd hate to break it trying to get it off, and not be able to replace it with the same sized clip.  Is there a source to get a bag of these?
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 10:43 PM »

I usually just cut an end cap section and glue it on - looks better than a C-clip (I think) and stays on better.  They are there to prevent things from moving - sliced caps are nice sine you can go all the way around if you like to a nice clean look.

6 kite tom
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 11:00 PM »

you can also use a thick tape like masking tape. just cut a thin strip and wrap it around the spar several times. it will gain thickness with each trip around the spar and voila, instant stopper.

my tape of choice is black gaffers tape but virtually any tape would do. the tape is easy to take off, easy to replace, relatively cheap, and a roll of tape would make thousands of 'stoppers'.

of course the real thing is great, but i find the tape a totally acceptable substitute.

oh and tom, great tip about cutting the end cap.  Cool

Fdeli
facesnorth

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 11:38 PM »

Good ideas, although I don't have spare end caps either so I would probably feel better about the tape idea.  Never heard of black gaffers tape but I will look for it at the hardware store.  I have a feeling I'm gonna end up flying this thing before I get around to checking the ferrules in the leading edges, but I may as well either make sure they are secure, or loosen them and re-glue them to be safe, considering the glue failed on 2 ferrules already.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum