GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 01:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Evolution... Where too next?  (Read 3205 times)
Ace
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 06, 2009, 06:55 PM »

I was just thinking how far kites have come since they days of bamboo and newspaper diamond and box kites.

The designs of today are sleek, strong, use space age materials and fly a heck of alot better.

Also got me thinking though have we reached the pinnacle of modern kite design? Undecided

If you look at the leading kites of today like the Deepspace, Nirvana SE, Talon and other expensive boutique kites its hard to imagine them getting any better it terms of design. Essentially they are made of the same stuff, look similar in shape and are built to perfection.

SOOO?Huh WHERE TOO NEXT??

Are there comercially available materials better than icarex, or carbon fibre spars, apa fittings etc. Will the traditional delta design change for a more aerodinamically efficient one. Will there be spars with molded fittings. Or better yet unbreakable ones, will sails still tear, lines still break. WHO KNOWS??

Any designers out there willing to share ideas on what a kite may look like or be made of in 10-15 years?

Just Curious Wink

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 07:50 PM »

I only see slight improvements like we've seen over the last 10 years or so unless somebody develops a totally new wing shape that works. I have no idea what that might look like or I would be experimenting myself.

But we run into the same type of rut quads are in, competitions and the required figures & tricks favor the Rev's so other designs are at a disadvantage. In Duals they favor the current Delta Wing. How do you develop a radically new wing if it can't do exactly the same tricks as our current kites?

Until the kiting community shifts priority's back to the now defunct "Innovative Class" and Ballet preformances and away from the "Who can do a Jacobs Ladder best" mindset we can't see any serious innovation.

There are advances that could be made in materials but the cost of such exotic materials as Boron, Bucky Balls and Tubes, Aerogels, Spectra/Carbon fabrics etc.  outweigh the small improvements they might provide. Until such materials are developed for other industries and the price comes down I don't think we'll see any significant advances in our materials in the near future either.

But who knows? It all started in somebodies basement, hatched from an idea in the back of somebodies mind. Could be that a revolution is taking shape right now and will see the light of day tomorrow.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 08:03 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:11 PM »

As what was just indicated materials that make up the kite and possibly weight positions in different parts of the kite making certain tricks easier. We see this in GOLF ... like titanium replacing stainless steel making the golf club lighter and yet increasing ball trajectory speed off the club and weights being placed in certain parts of the driver head making the golf ball fly in different patterns like an intentional Fade (left to right) or Hook (right to left). I suspect different weights may be placed in different parts of the kite with an improved design kite allowing this to be done giving you certain flight characteristics. This newly purchased Ghost by Kitehouse with off-line standoffs and a bridle which has much experimentation behind it ... so my answer is overall structural material design improvments, weight inserts and not just in the lower central spine and bridle/standoff enhancements over the next 10-20 years. How can you improve the Sea Devil?   Wink Cheesy Grin

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 08:15 PM »

How can you improve the Sea Devil?   Wink Cheesy Grin

Gasoline? 

Just kidding, JUST KIDDING!!! 

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 08:20 PM »

Turn it into a Talon?  Roll Eyes

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
anOldMan

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 10:06 PM »

Get a Feerless, if you can afford it.  Roll Eyes  Tongue 

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 10:27 PM »

what a kite may look like or be made of in 10-15 years?

Just Curious Wink

Form follows function.

What do we want to be DOING with a kite in ten years? If we will be doing pretty much what we do now, then evolution will move along slowly. If someone comes up with a new way to fly or there is some big fad or culture shift, then we might see some real changes.

I think an area that's going to pop in the next five years is high wind flying. A combination of flying technique and a design step forward or two.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Ace

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 11:26 PM »

I guess in 10 years we will still be doing what we are doing today. I can't imagine the delta design is going to change too much. What I think and hope would happen is some significant advances in design.
Simplifying the complexity of kites, streamlining them, strengthening them....

OK call me crazy, but how far do you think we are away from a one peice kite?
No frames!
No Sails!
No Standoffs, spreaders etc.

Just one peice of ultra strong, flexible, super thin and super light weight peice of composite material in the shape of a sail. Like the stuff Boeing uses on the new 787. Wack a bridle on and away she goes. Would it fly? I'm not a good enough pilot to answer that but it sounds pretty cool.

Then again its nearing the end of a long day at work and I'm I'm feeling pretty loopy! Roll Eyes

Weekend is too far away Sad

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 11:52 PM »

Mike Gillard brought up the composite wing years ago in Kitelife.

How practical would that be? Maybe there would be some advantage for speed kites, otherwise, give me fabric and spars.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:01 PM by JimB » Logged
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 12:16 AM »

how about reducing the cost of materials currently in use?
how about fittings which don't fatigue or suffer from age?
how about fittings which don't get soft and add flex to a kite in the summer heat?
how about lines which are both thin AND slick?
how about managing to refine the designs to the point where one doesn't sacrifice floaty flat 540's for the ability to yo-whatever?
how about a kite with integrated illumination, like the ghost, but without the need for external lighting?
how about the implementation of carbon nanostructures in the framing?
how about an intelligent material which smooths out bumpy winds like nylon but doesn't fade and flies in light winds and is impervious to moisture like icarex?
how about a sail material which lets you change the color of the panels to suit your mood that day?

there's always room for improvement.

Fdeli
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 12:21 AM »

Quote from: AGuyInAnotherThread
How does it yo-fade backspin cascade and yo-yo Comete?
^- can your kites do these? there's the future.  Cool

Fdeli
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 01:05 AM »

mine will keep lawn darting whatever the design evolution.......... Sad
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 01:42 AM »

What do we want to be DOING with a kite in ten years?

In ten years I will probably need to move away from large stacks and start flying more static kites, maybe get into KAP.

I will look forward to getting my possible grand kids involved, maybe get my kids back flying, otherwise I will be teaching random onlookers how to fly and then give them a kite from my collection.

You can't take them with ya

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 03:22 AM »

There has been a kind of evolution taking place over the past few years but not necessarily one we like; now that the general design has been refined by the boutiques, the cheap clone makers are stepping in. Sport kites are in a lull at the moment but the next time we get a peak of interest we may get more people involved because they'll find a lot more affordable kites that will do 90% of what the $300 will do.

Adicakes
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 04:05 AM »

Although this probably isn't what Ace had in mind when he posed the question, one thing I've noticed is a trend towards kites that are more eager to forward-pitch.  I first noticed it with the R-sky NFX, then the NFX Extend exaggerated that trait, and from the looks of it, the Nirvana SE is more easily pitched forward that the first edition Nirvana.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change