GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 01:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Securing kite  (Read 6233 times)
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 10:18 PM »

I will be up at Squaw Valley this weekend and hope to see some of you there Smiley

We'll teach you all you need to know up at Squaw this weekend.  Wink

p.s. you can leave the duct tape at home  Cheesy
Fore Check
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 01:52 AM »

Ok, you got me.

I was *kidding* about the duct tape thing.   Kiss
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 02:03 PM »

I will be up at Squaw Valley this weekend and hope to see some of you there Smiley

I looked for you and never found you!
I'll assume that you didn't make it up. (?)

It was another great year, and no event will treat you as well as Squaw does.  Grin
Free ride up the mountain in the tram, free lunch, free dinner, free swimming, free jacuzi, even ice skating if you wanted.
Coughitup
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 03:59 PM »

Hi Dano,
I was there. I broke my manta due to one of the wonderful gusts of wind as I was about to launch in the morning. I didn't want to break my ichiban with those crazy shifting winds so I flew a few stacks, helped some new people and let other fly some of my foils. It was a great day even though I left before the dinner. It was nice to meet some of the Reno/truckee/ nevada folk. I was all setup to fly and used my new dog leash carabiner(thanks Mike) to launch a majestic prism foldaway diamond via a double larkshead(thanks George). I really appreciate all the great answers I have gotten to my question.
Thanks
Bryan
P.S. The do treat you nice at squaw but what a claustrophobic ride down with 60 people and 4 bags of kites in the tram.
crunchie
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 03:26 PM »

Here are the anchors I use, ordered in importance :

a) Any already present anchor (good tree, cement block etc..)
b) car tire (a bit problematic, since its quite an expensive anchor is you want to fly more than 1 big kite hehehe)
c) sand anchor from Gomberg (only good if you are on the sand)
d) bag full'o'sand with cables wrapped around it. (Takes quite some time to get the sand in and out).
e) Shelter/Auger anchors (30" length). Marvelous!!! But if they fail for some reason, having flying metal is not good... so thats why they are last

Example of auger anchor :

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=910994&Ntt=910994&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=112958&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

Option e) works on sand AND on land.

But I won't repeat myself enough, DONT use metal anchors unless NO OTHER OPTIONS will work. They are the most dangerous anchors you can use.

I'm not saying it wont work, it just has, statistically, more chance of doing damage than other options.

Daniel Shane
Albert

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 05:02 AM »

For my big stuff I use the trailer hitch on my Jeep. I use a 3" rapide link to attach to the pin, then a nylon strap, then the kite line. I guarantee the line will break before the anchor point budges. Much quicker and easier than any stake system, and its easily movable if the wind direction shifts.

Albert
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 11:06 AM »

I was there. I broke my manta due to one of the wonderful gusts of wind as I was about to launch in the morning.
Thanks
Bryan

What broke on the Manta?  Any guesstimates on how high the gusts were blowing?

ATB,
Sam
Coughitup
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 07:23 PM »

Hi Sam
The manta was not even in the air. We were getting ready to launch it and a gust caught the lower leading edge between the ground and my sons leg. It broke at the ferrule and was definetly not any type of design problem. The winds were gusting to 20 mph that day. I would have liked to see how it flew in those winds with the heavy spreader. I have had it up in next to nothing and the manta glides great. 
Bryan
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 09:08 PM »

Hi Sam
The manta was not even in the air. We were getting ready to launch it and a gust caught the lower leading edge between the ground and my sons leg. It broke at the ferrule and was definetly not any type of design problem.

Thanks.... the "trapped" part was the detail I was looking for.

ATB,
Sam
Hal

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 09:20 PM »

For my big stuff I use the trailer hitch on my Jeep.

If the hitch is on the back, and it's rear wheel drive and the parking brake is on the back wheels, what happens if the kite lifts the rear end up?  Takes a lot of kite, Dave G. told me about it at Ocean Shores, happened with some octopi I believe.  Now I put my nylon strap around the bottom of the front wheel.  Works good through 500# line, that's the biggest I've got.

Hal
Helena, MT
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 10:09 PM »

For my big stuff I use the trailer hitch on my Jeep.

...Now I put my nylon strap around the bottom of the front wheel.  Works good through 500# line, that's the biggest I've got.

What Hal said! I've heard of the rear of a car being lifted by larger kites.  Huh 

I've used the strap/tire method with my 750# line, no problems. I haven't had the opportunity to use my 1200# yet as the Bulldog is still on the project table.  Wink

Bob
Albert

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2009, 11:05 PM »

Whoa! You guys have kites that'll lift a Jeep? Tell me about them, inquiring minds want to know. So how do YOU tie them down? Man I don't need anything like that. Its everything I can do to get what I've got already down sometimes.

Albert
kiteguy

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 02:27 PM »

Hello all
I have recently picked up a few single line kites(itchiban, mantis MANTA, etc) and wanted to get some sugestions on securing the kite to the ground.

I fly inland.  For the kites you mention, not much of a stake is needed.  I use a long screw driver for my stakes for kites of this ilk.  For small, light pulling kites I have even used gutter nails when flying over grass.

For the bigger/strong pulling kites I use something different.

Some people around here use the dog screw stakes.  I don't like 'em, though.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document