GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 01:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Securing kite  (Read 6455 times)
Coughitup
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: July 07, 2009, 03:45 PM »

Hello all
I have recently picked up a few single line kites(itchiban, mantis MANTA, etc) and wanted to get some sugestions on securing the kite to the ground. I mostly fly inland so I do not see sand much. I just did not want to go through trial and error to find the proper way. Any links or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks much
Bryan
P.S.
I will be up at Squaw Valley this weekend and hope to see some of you there Smiley
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 08:58 PM by Coughitup » Logged
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 03:56 PM »

find some 3/4" wooden dowell, cut it in 3 pieces, sharpen an end, pound it in the ground. Pretty simple, costs about a buck or two.

"Do what you like"
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 04:25 PM »

around here when the guys fly the bigger stuff i see them use what looks like a really big railroad spike which they hammer into the ground at an angle.
they also tie kites off to trees or sports goals or anything else heavy when available.

Fdeli
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 04:33 PM »

There are a number of types of spikes you can use in hard or soft earth. Using two spikes crossed is good.

Gomberg carries a lot of good anchoring products and line and all kinda other neat stuff along with some very good information and advice.

http://www.GombergKites.com/

For some kite anchoring perspective check Peter Lynn's story:

http://www.GombergKites.com/faq/faq-s.html

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 04:59 PM »

i use a collection of tent pegs/golf balls on a stick/big honking orange plastic pegs/corkscrew dog stakes/lengths of webbing to go around trees-benches etc....

some people do neat little knots around the stake.....
me...
well...

i wrap the line around the head of the stake about 25 times or so and have never had one slip......

i am NOT a sand flyer....but for sand you can use a sand anchor (flat square of fabric with line/webbing at each corner-bury this in the sand) or my fave-if i used one- a 2x4" about 24" long with a piece of rope tied through a hole - then bury the wood and have the line sticking out.....

i have also tied a kite off to my vehicles roof rack.....or to a piece of webbing looped around the tire (where the tire is on the ground!!!!!) for a biggerkite....

even lighter puling kites i have been known to tie them off/clip them to the kite bag too....
or just hang onto the line....simple

once yoy get the hang of how much the kites pull you will figger out anchors.....you can never be too heavy if you are worried about one....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 06:31 PM »

The few times I've flown SLKs:

1 Let out the amount of line you will fly.
2 Wrap the line around the strap of your kite bag.
3 Attach the line to 1 or 2 kite stakes angled to each other and the wind direction.
4 Then launch the kite.

The weight of the bag and the friction of the bag on the ground takes away from the load on the kite stakes.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:24 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
SKITCH
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 07:41 PM »

around here when the guys fly the bigger stuff i see them use what looks like a really big railroad spike which they hammer into the ground at an angle.
they also tie kites off to trees or sports goals or anything else heavy when available.

I think your talking about construction stakes or spikes.  You can find them in the big hardware stores (lowes, Home Depot, etc) back in the construction/lumber area.  Right next to them you can usually also find lengths of rebar that work very well.  Beyond that large sporting good or outdoor stores usually carry a pretty good supply of different length tent stakes.  Some of those will work well but most will not support a great load! 

You will get a lot of different opinions about them but the large twist in dog stakes can work very well.  If you are going to put a heavy load on them you should back them up with some other type of stake..kinda like John speaks of. Some have complained of them breaking....I've never had a problem with them as I don't load them up too heavy.  I also tie off to them around the actual stake itself and not the little tab or ring that is attached to them.

As mentioned above, check out the Gomberg site for some directions and visual references. 

NICE KITES.....you don't want to lose those!   Smiley

Patrick

pgibble on the "old" forum

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way.

Charlie Dunton
moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 08:06 PM »

I've found a double larkshead 
http://www.brooxes.com/newsite/Downloads/2LarKnot.pdf
to be the most effective. Wrap it around your ground stake an you're done. I'll take a pic next time I'm out. The kites you have listed so far have very little pull. Orange tent stake from Target works great and they are cheap.
Hope this helps, Geo.

Say Good Night Dick
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 08:15 PM »

What Patrick said. And here are a few more thoughts.

I'm trying but failing to think of a SLK called Mantis. But if it's in the same class as the Ichiban, you don't want to under-anchor (not that you do any time) -- it's too good to lose or damage.

I probably over-anchor. Why not? Off the beach, I usually use the concrete form stakes that Patrick mentioned. Inexpensive and solid. The bigger the kite or higher the wind, the longer the stake. If I feel it's prudent, I'll drive two in an X pattern and wrap a strap around the cross-point.

And evaluate the firmness of the ground. Soft ground will need anchors with more purchase than hard ground.

Always use a strap or something other than the flying line around the anchor to keep the line from abrading. I have large straps and carabiners for the bigger stuff and small straps and 'biners for the smaller. The smaller will usually be good for moderately pulling, mid-size kites like the Ichiban. If you have to, get some heavier line to fasten between the anchor and the flying line. I only use tent pegs for the smallest kites or light winds.

Attach the straps as low to the ground as you can and not at the top of the anchor stakes. Think of it in terms of a lever and the ground as the fulcrum.

If you ever do use a sand anchor at the beach, make sure you bury it with the straps under the cloth to keep the straps from tearing away.

Bottom line, be safe. You don't want metal or other hard anchors pulling out and dragging along after a kite.

Bob
Coughitup

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 09:01 PM »

Thanks for the info guys. I knew I could get some good ideas here. Bob, I do not know why but I typed mantis when I meant Manta.
Hal
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 09:20 PM »

What Bob (MtnFlyer) said !! Another good anchor knot that I learned from Dave Gomberg is the "Spanish" knot  http://www.gombergkites.com/update/496.html; this is really handy and easy too.  The anchor straps that Dave has are very nice too.  They keep your line away from the anchor (with a carabiner) and make it easy to tie on low to the ground on the anchor, limiting the fulcrum/pivot action.  I carry a 5 lb. sledge to drive in the form stakes, not too much to carry and works in all but the hardest ground. Error on the side of caution and have fun.

Hal
Helena, MT
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 12:17 AM »

For large kites we're partial to cement form stakes, I think that is what Skitch was refering to. They are heavy iron stakes with predrilled holes available in lengths from 12" to 4'. You can insert some heavy line into those holes to larkshead your fly line to like MtnFlyer said to keep from abrading your fly line. Or better: just pick up a couple of dog leashes 3/4 to 1 inch wide, usually available at the dollar store, cut off the buckle (cut the buckle not the strap) and add a leader of heavy fly line or light rope through the loop the buckle was in to create a leader to larkshead to. Don't trust those lightweight pot metal buckles. You can wrap a leash around your stakes, trees, light poles or whatever is handy, just wrap it around and put the tail through the hand loop and your ready to fly.

For smaller kites your golf ball stakes, tent stakes etc. work fine, on those I just do a single or double larkshead on the fly line directly to the stake, if I was using something rough like rebar I would still use a leash or other leader.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Fore Check

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 05:57 PM »

I've been known to resort to duct tape and the nearest bush.   Shocked
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 06:02 PM »

bush yes....tree yes...
duct tape? no.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ainokea

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 06:20 PM »

Personally, I wouldn't.  I'll stick to stakes, trees, poles, spikes and anything that's solidly in the ground.
But hey, whatever works for you.  Smiley

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change