GWTW Forum
December 18, 2018, 06:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bird of Prey glider from Doug Stout  (Read 8265 times)
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: October 28, 2014, 06:46 AM »

I had some birthday money to spend for a new kite and I've been intrigued by the XUL gliders that are out there. I considered the Mega Plutz and Doug Stout's Bird of Prey because they're both supposed to be great kites. Doug sent me a video of the BoP and mentioned that it climbs and glides well. Well, it sure does! The recommended line weight is 10#. I couldn't wait for the 100 yards of line from Amazon to arrive and used the 25' of really light line I have for my 3D. It launches well when you toss it like a paper airplane. It glided and returned  and climbed. With the slight breeze it climbed even higher. I can't wait for my line to arrive to really test drive it. It's an amazing climber and is an even more amazing flat glider. If you're looking for a great kite that will put you in a zen kind of mind consider contacting Doug about making a BoP for you!

I didn't know what to expect for an XUL but it's such a low weight sail material that you might wonder how sturdy it is. Cuben Orange is so thin that it's fairly transparent with a hint of orange but it DOES seem to be pretty sturdy. The micro tubes for the spreaders and battens are REALLY micro but seem pretty sturdy for their size too. Doug does seamless work with the fine touches to the kite. I believe that Doug's background is engineering and his attention to detail shows. The 2 battens for the wing tips might be 4" and would be easily lost if they didn't have their own ziploc baggie to store them. He made teeny tiny reinforcements for the battens to be secured in at the wing tips. He made Cuben Orange tunnels for the cross spars to slide into to give the kite a nice dihedral. I don't know how he did it but the kite has a 10 degree dihedral (I don't remember if it's total or each side) that's made with the length of the cross spars and the thread that connects them together.

All I can say is Wow! Nice kite! I have a Prism 3D and Nirvana WW that really don't fly in no wind without a lot of movement. Now I have something to do when there really is no wind. Now that's zen.

Bob D.
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 07:13 AM »

Bob,

Thank you for the kind words and enjoy your Bird of Prey 36 when you receive the longer flying line.  Grin

Doug

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
Doug S

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 05:36 AM »

Bob,

The following provides the Youtube and Facebook links I received from Elliott Brogren, who was recorded flying one of my Bird of Prey (BOP) 36 glider kites, the same one that you have.  Elliott is a retired Boeing Engineer, who lives in the Seattle, WA area.  Enjoy and I hope you get in the air in the near future.

http://youtu.be/6O2aULQMfxI

https://www.facebook.com/232378193482957/

Later,

Doug

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 04:07 AM »

Yep, that's pretty much how it flies! I just got my line in the mail a few days ago. Now the wind has to die down.

I tried it with 15' of line and it climbs even higher when there's gust of wind to fly into. Great kite!

Bob D.
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 12:12 AM »

Got ours (24" and 36" wing span)! A quick launch through the living room showed them to be excellent gliders. Can't wait to fly them at the Swindon indoor event next month.

coogee

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 02:21 AM »

I have been flying my BOP 48's on the beach with around 30 m of line and get to the end of the spool.

Mike
twhite510

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 04:34 PM »

Flying Fish.
 You guys will love flying them both. I use 8 lb power pro braided line to fly my 24" & 36" BOP's. You will really love them when you use them I no wind. Very light wind they are still great fun. It gust takes a bit more work.

Tom
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 12:45 PM »

Flew our new Birds of Prey at the Swindon indoor event yesterday: wonderful gliders! As these were the first ones in the UK, they attracted quite some interest, and people really wanted to have a go.

Several pics of the event, including some of the Birds of Prey, here.

Danceswithwinds

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 11:30 AM »

As the happy owner of the third BOP that arrived in the UK with Flying Fish, a 24,and now spent time flying it at the indoor event all I can say is  what a  GREAT kite it is. I have a few zero wind flyers,  Iflite, Karl Longbottom 7/81 amongst them and love them all. Different in ways the BoP needs a much more gentle input I found, more learning curve!  Thanks Doug. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom