GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 06:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on Light Wind Kites  (Read 5292 times)
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 04:23 PM »

To be quit truthful, the most important advice for Light Wind flying (kites) is your feet. Move them and the world is open to you.  Smiley

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 05:00 PM »

If you can drop $99 on a kite...I would suggest you save up and get something a little more higher end. Your skill level will increase faster with a kite that is more capable from the get go.  Unless you are still Lawn darting....your going to end up with a higher end kite eventually. It's just how many kites you will have purchased in between what you have now...and where you will end up. Keep an eye on the Swap Meet. You can get some excellent deals.

SAVE UP

UPNET:

I want to be sure I understand your advice.  Looking at your photo collection aside from the BMK and STX kites aren't all of them in the <$100 category?  Are you saying that you should go directly to the BMK/STX and forget the rest of your collection?

My dual line collection includes a Beetle, HQ Yukon, Quantum, Prism 3D and a few air foils.  The only one I regret so far is the 3D.  Depending on wind conditions they all get to stretch their wings.  As long as the kite can still exceed my skills (they all can right now) I have fun when I go out.  When I know enough to recognize what my ideal high end kite should be then I would get it.  Until then I am happy living in the low to medium price range.
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 05:02 PM »

To be quit truthful, the most important advice for Light Wind flying (kites) is your feet. Move them and the world is open to you.  Smiley

Are you saying that any of the suggested kites would require me to run around?  This is not something I wanted. 
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 05:45 PM »

Are you saying that any of the suggested kites would require me to run around?  This is not something I wanted. 

Maybe you might be a Quad guy..... Wink

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 07:16 PM »

Not "run around", but watch ANY good dual line flyer and they are constantly moving forward and back to maintain sail pressure and slack - and thats in decent winds!

In low wind, its even more important.  Once you get used to it, you learn to minimize creating situations that will cause you to have to move as much, but you still gotta move.

6 kite tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 07:38 PM »

I think you all ready have enough dual lines kites to have the experience to step up to a Muse, or a Shadow. I spent too much time on low end kites, too much money. They are all in the basement, haven't been flown in years. The high end kites can take a beating just as well as the cheaper ones, if not better.
The NikNak will fly in next to no wind, and the only thing you give up is range of tricks. It would take some moving to keep the Muse or Shadow up in the same wind that you could just stand still with the NikNak. Great kite for the money, and the simple design would grow on you.
My point is, don't sell yourself short, you all ready have a cheap light wind kite, and don't like the way it flies. Save a little longer for the good one that's fun to fly...
~Rob.

lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 08:31 PM »

Efficiency reduces foot work, but you still end up covering a lot of real estate in a session. My rough rule is to stand by the kite bag and work my way backwards as slowly as possible, move forward at every opportunity to regain ground, and when the kite is at the bag, all focus in on regaining ground until I'm standing at the bag again. That may involve gliding flares from the top of the window, oblong 360s, or cascades with flares held as long as possible. Sometimes you just bite the bullet and carry the dang thing.

Around here light and variable means constant shifts in speed and direction. If the wind shifts 90 degrees, it is easy to regain ground back to the bag, while the kite is in the center of the "new" wind window (instead of walking downwind you are now walking across the window due to the shift in direction). The 180 degree wind shifts make it easy to move back to the bag too, if you can get the kite reoriented without too much hassle. One has to keep an eye on all types of available wind indicators to anticipate and stay ahead of the direction shifts.

Efficiency is using the wind, window, arms, legs, feet, and shifts to maintain altitude with the least expenditure of energy. Time upward movements to be in the center of the window and down movements at the edges. Step back during up movements and step forward during down movements and slack line portions of tricks. Instead of stepping, one can often swing arms from extended in front of body to extended behind the body to achieve the same results. One of my self-challeges is to see how little footwork I can get away with - often to the detriment of completing a trick with any appearance of skill or grace.  Roll Eyes

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
nosedive

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 07:10 AM »

This is my answer for everything like this---
SKYBURNER KITES NIKNAK!!!
Ive had it for a LONG time. Im pretty sure about 10years. I got it sense the 1st year of production and its been amazing. Very solid indoor/low-wind kite. 'cant go wrong with it. Great precision. Nice slow axels, 540's, etc. great stuff. I think the modern price is in the 150,160 range.

Hi ADX....just to add to this , .... recently when my brother in law was in town, we went to go see Jon at his shop, and he told us he's just done some upgrades to the NikNak !!
Cool stuff Tongue

Jeff
Vents?! I don't need no stinkin' vents! Cheesy
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 08:19 AM »

I know we met at Liberty and you told me you were simply observing all the kites there which probably added to your confusion. From my memory I guess I told you there was no easy answer and its something (low wind flying) you develop into depending on your seriousness with kiting. For me anyway I have three answers on what is the best light wind kite: 1- Benson Inner Space as it will fly for me near zero wind. So sometimes very early in the morning when the wind is picking up or late in the day if the wind is dying to zero. Its simply a tool that keeps me flying an extra period of time with some relaxing music in these conditions. No real tricking. 2- The light wind kite(s) in my suite of competition kites (Sea Devil -SUL & UL) and 3 -Other new/experimental or interesting type kites I am currently flying like my recent TC-Ghost purchase.
Additionally - its not so much the strength of the winds (low or high) at Liberty but the direction. At my alternate grassy field (Overpeck Park, Ridgefield Park, NJ) I don't even bother if the winds are not from the SW which has minimal obstructions in the 360 degree pattern - start considering this variable. I know you told me the winds are generally from the West (like Asbury Park) - try that upper most field away from the set-up field that day at Liberty - it should work the best for you in my opinion. I flew there all afternoon - the winds were still up & down (slightly) but were almost pure (not very bumpy).

In my bag: Benson - Inner Space, Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless Light Mid-Vent, Transformer TL's Full Suite: (SUL, Light, Standard & Vent).
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 09:31 AM »

At my alternate grassy field (Overpeck Park, Ridgefield Park, NJ)
It just freaks me to see those names, as I grew up right around the corner from Overpeck and not that much further from RP.   Huh  Undecided

ATB,
Sam
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 01:17 PM »

This is even more strange - the best flying zone is here in Bergen County, NJ  with SW winds only however. Bergen County I believe is  a NJ county which has more people than North & South Dakota combined - and only two miles from the GW bridge  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy.
How many people have bypassed this park and headed to Liberty SP 45 minutes away thinking they would have better winds! Again has to be SW from 3-15 mph ... SWEET with the winds flying unobstructed over Routes 80 & 46 if you know what I mean - unobstructed for MILES in this wind tunnel.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 01:22 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my bag: Benson - Inner Space, Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless Light Mid-Vent, Transformer TL's Full Suite: (SUL, Light, Standard & Vent).
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 01:41 PM »

I expect even a lot of folks in Leonia don't fully register OP as being there.  It's just a place to get on the highway, right?  Wink

Cruising Bergen County be sure not to miss Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco (North Bergen Boy Scout)on the left, it was the filming location for the very first "Friday The 13th" movie.  Drop by the camp master's office and their should be all sorts of pictures on the  walls of the films cast and crew mugging with the camp staff.  Good night sledding in the winter too  Wink

ATB,
Sam
facesnorth

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2009, 03:14 AM »

I'm originally from Bogota, only minutes from OP.  I also used to camp at NoBe as a kid, but that's in Blairstown which is in Warren County, in NW NJ.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2009, 04:42 AM »

This is even more strange - the best flying zone is here in Bergen County, NJ  with SW winds only however. Bergen County I believe is  a NJ county which has more people than North & South Dakota combined - and only two miles from the GW bridge  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy.How many people have bypassed this park and headed to Liberty SP 45 minutes away thinking they would have better winds! Again has to be SW from 3-15 mph ... SWEET with the winds flying unobstructed over Routes 80 & 46 if you know what I mean - unobstructed for MILES in this wind tunnel.
Hey APJ...
I'm doing a job in Jersey next week, crossing the GW every day... how do I get to this park, is it off rt.46 ?
Thanks,
~Rob.
Sorry for the thread hijack !

facesnorth

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2009, 01:25 PM »

http://www.co.bergen.nj.us/parks/Parks/directions/Overpeck%20Leonia%20North.pdf
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography