GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 01:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on Light Wind Kites  (Read 6149 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2009, 02:00 PM »

Hey, thanks alot, I've seen them flying remote controlled airplanes in that area when I've passed by on the highway. Looks like a great spot to blow off some time waiting for traffic to thin out on my way home.

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2009, 10:09 PM »

You know, even though I am in NY that park is right up in my neck of the woods.

I'm going to have to check it out.

Thanks for the info.  Smiley
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 06:54 PM »

Yes right next to the field is a remote control airplane field. Again - just a suggestion. Check the winds - if they are from the SE, S or SW and more than 5 mph give it a go - its a definite good day. If you have a low wind flyer bring that now for say a 7:30-9PM flight if the winds drop below 2 mph. SUL is OK - the Benson IS is perfect or something of this nature. The best spot is DIRECTLY south of the American flag around 50 yards on the first field on your left - forget that fenced in soccer field - STAY AWAY ... its the LITTLE things ya know ...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 08:37 PM »

I went there on Monday afternoon. I ended up right over near the flagpole of course.. Winds were out of the SW pushing 15mph or a little better.

Wind was a bit high so there was some turbulence from the treeline across the highway. It dropped off later in the day. Very nice, but again; the thunder storms in the surrounding area were causing some odd wind.

Overall, I'd say it's a decent place to fly but not as good as Liberty on the right day.

Definitely not a bad run for me though. It's quite easy to get to from The Bronx.

Thanks for the heads up. Wink
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 04:57 AM »

Hey Jim...
I am kicking myself that I didn't stop on Monday, now. Of course, I was in the express lanes of rt.80 east, so it would've been pretty hard to get off there, anyway. Now that I know how to get there, I have to stop and check it out.
Have you ever tried out Flushing Meadows/Kew gardens ? There seem to be a few spots there that seem promising. What about in between the Throgs neck & Whitestone bridges (Bronx side)? There seems to be alot of empty space there.
If you ever get out east on the Island, I could point you at a few good spots to fly, but obviously the whole south shore. Are you going to the NYC kite festival this year ? Second weekend in September...
~Rob.

asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 05:27 AM »

Must 86 - I had heard that kite festival was cancelled.
Jim - Glad you liked it. Try it again with normal conditions. Its the best spot I found in Bergen County, NJ. To bad there is NOTHING along the Hudson River on the NJ side - there is no beach front anywhere along the entire Palisades - on the Jersey side.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:32 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum