GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 08:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on Light Wind Kites  (Read 6304 times)
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« on: July 08, 2009, 09:44 AM »

I have reviewed recent posts on light weight kites and still do not understand if I should look at getting another.

I currently have a Prism 3D.  The kite has the unofficial title of being left in the kite bag more than anything else I own.  I have often compared it to diet soda.  Not very satisfying.

The best light wind kite I have is a Beetle.  It will launch when my Quantum and Yukon refuse to stay up.  Based on my hand held meter the Beetle needs around 3-4 mph winds to lift.  Lulls below 3 and it will come down. 

Are there any kites that would be under $150, fly in very little wind (without me putting on track shoes), do a reasonable amount of maneuvers and could withstand an occasional crash?

I am very anxious to see what kind of kites are used in the upcoming Liberty State Park competition.  This is the wind I have to deal with.

Thanks,

Tom
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 10:11 AM »

Acrobatx UL, 99 bucks from Steve.
http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=93
It will work in less wind than a Beatle but not less than the 3D. But it's way more capable than the 3D. The build quality is pretty good.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:04 AM »

This is my answer for everything like this---
SKYBURNER KITES NIKNAK!!!
Ive had it for a LONG time. Im pretty sure about 10years. I got it sense the 1st year of production and its been amazing. Very solid indoor/low-wind kite. 'cant go wrong with it. Great precision. Nice slow axels, 540's, etc. great stuff. I think the modern price is in the 150,160 range.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 12:13 PM »

I had 3Ds and many others for a long time before I found the Shadow, which was exactly what I was looking for in that class of kite.

Flys in very low wind, but also does tricks in the same way that a full-size standard trick kite will.

It's one of my favorites.  I have a friend who really likes the Acro UL - way better than the standard Acro in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:16 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 07:40 PM »

Tom - When at Liberty ask for asburyparkjohn (apj). See you on 7/18.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:17 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 04:57 AM »

Yeah... I couldn't stand my 3d, either. If you want a tricky low wind kite for that kind of $$$, I think the HQ Shadow is the hands down choice... if you can find one. It is out of production (stupid), but I bet you can find one if you look around and be patient. One just sold in the swap meet in the last couple of weeks.
The Sky Burner NikNak is a great kite, and will fly in lower winds than the Shadow, but, is not as tricky. I have both, and wouldn't get rid of either.
Of course, a great choice would be to save a little more, and get a Muse LT from Blue Moon. You just can't go wrong with that. A kite made for YOU in your colors for less than $250, shipped.
~Rob.

cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 05:08 AM »

Stay home and watch tutorial DVD... Cheesy Cheesy if the wind is no g Wink Wink d.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 04:41 PM »

... fly in very little wind ... do a reasonable amount of maneuvers and could withstand an occasional crash?

Airwave UL or Airwave Zero from Flying Wings fit those criteria.  YouTube for videos

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 09:38 PM »

shadow if you can fly a 3d you will enjoy it

have fun kurt
hdegive
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 12:18 AM »

One of my favorite kites that will fly in just a breath of air and do a lot of tricks is the STX 1.8 by Cavalier du Ciel. You should be able to get a used one for around $150. Check it out if you get a chance. It is a smallish kite, has nice graphics. It sits deep in a turtle and most of the lazy susan based tricks are easily accessible. It is great at Jacob's ladder and does wrap up tricks with the right touch. It does all the standard tricks (axle, back spin, etc) well.
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 11:16 AM »

Thanks for the input.  I was hoping for more of a consensus but the list is getting large.  Since I can't buy them all my initial feel is:

Muse LT and STX: Too expensive for my current skill level.  I could see a Blue Moon in my kite bag someday.

HQ Shadow: Looks like there are a few dealers who may have them.  I saw one listed at $189.  So this again is too expensive.

Airwave UL/Zero: Are these available in the US?  I did not see anything on the Flying Wings homepage about them.

That leaves the Niknak and Acrobatx UL.  The coloring on the Niknak is not very appealing to me.  The Acrobatx is okay. 

What would I miss if I get the Acrobatx over the Niknak?
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 11:55 AM »

Haven't flown a Nik Nak.

The Acrobatx UL is not an SUL or even a UL and by today's standards, more of a heavy UL. It can be flown in lighter winds, but not without much more effort than a Shadow, for example.

I do like the Acrobatx UL but would much rather have a Shadow or Muse LT.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 12:03 PM »

ive never flown the acrobatx but ive been a fan of the niknak for a LONG TIME.
the niknak is really solid, great precision, etc.
Itll do axels, 540's (with effort), pinwheels, cascades, etc. the basic older style tricks. Its a great kite for the money if you ask me. I only fly skyburner indoor indoor/zerowind outdoor kites. What the niknak does, it does well. I dont think youll ever be dissapointed. If you want something trick orented later on, great, but id get the niknak as a good solid starter, for begining to fly in light wind. 'great kite for the money. Ive had mine for a long, and i mean LONG time, and its still going strong.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 01:40 PM »

and  if  it  is  just  a matter  of  the  color  of  the  sail  call Mr. Hall up   I   could  almost  place  money  on  it  he  could  get  you  a  custom  one  for  a  few  extra  dollars  and  you will have  the  color  NicNak  you   would  like

Good air always Bobby
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 02:22 PM »

If you can drop $99 on a kite...I would suggest you save up and get something a little more higher end. Your skill level will increase faster with a kite that is more capable from the get go.  Unless you are still Lawn darting....your going to end up with a higher end kite eventually. It's just how many kites you will have purchased in between what you have now...and where you will end up. Keep an eye on the Swap Meet. You can get some excellent deals.

SAVE UP

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum