GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 07:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A nice found: the Radian  (Read 2389 times)
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« on: July 08, 2009, 02:56 PM »

After a long worldwide hunting I succeded to find a Radian Grin. I was so lucky to grab a brand new unflown one and I would like to share it with you, waiting to fly it as soon as possible  Wink

The tag still on the nose!

The unused battens:

The serial number:

And the full Radian  Grin

Enjoy it!  Smiley

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 05:47 PM »

Wow, thanks for posting.

I'm hoping you'll be taking some aerial shots to share.  Tongue

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 09:18 PM »

Nice snag!
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 11:21 PM »

unflown?  Huh
who are these people who buy kites and never fly them?  Shocked

i too look forward to seeing a picture of it in the air. of the available colors, you definitely have the best. i remember even in 92-93 some of the radians looked straight out of the 80's.

Fdeli
Adicakes
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 11:31 PM »

unflown?  Huh
who are these people who buy kites and never fly them?  Shocked

Me, for one. Wink  Off the top of my head, there's an XT.s, KFX LW, Mohawk XS, and Psycho in the bag that haven't been flown.  They're not going anywhere though because I know I'll get around to flying each one eventually.
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 04:44 AM »

Me, for one. Wink  Off the top of my head, there's an XT.s, KFX LW, Mohawk XS, and Psycho in the bag that haven't been flown.  They're not going anywhere though because I know I'll get around to flying each one eventually.

You'd better get that XTs out soon.  That's one hell of a fun kite.  It's like giant kiting, but then still very doable.  I love mine.  You'll also love what your DS feels like after an hour of this one.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 02:30 PM »

great catach!!! you got lucky on that one- 'kite looks great  Smiley

I look foward to seeing more pics!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Hal

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 07:52 PM »

Paolo,

No pictures of the Eclipse you got from me, I am hurt  Embarrassed  Looks like youi have a full suite of the older Prisms - Very nice.

sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 09:40 PM »

It's rare to see a Radian at all and even less common to see one that doesn't burn your retinas out with clashing fluorescent colours. Finding a pristine unflown one...?

Buy a lottery ticket!  Grin

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
Svolazzo

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 07:06 AM »

Thanks to everybody for all your feedbacks!

@chilese: yes it will be unflown not so long indeed, I already got ready my nikon d70s with 300 mm zoom to shot it in the italian sky  Grin
@ fidelio: he was an American collector, I have to thank him very-very-very much for selling.
@ adx1592: Devin, stay tuned and you'll see your Mantis too  Wink
@ Hal: you're absolutely right, I'm going to fix the lack. Yes I have almost a whole collection of Classics Prism, including two Vapor, Total Eclipse and SUL Eclipse. If you like I can post some pics in the next few days.
@ sbrown: it's a nice color scheme indeed, only a little bit of fluorescent yellow on the wingtips. A lottery ticket? I'm just thinking that there is a lottery right now here in Italy with a near 100 Euro milions jackpot  Huh I'm going to give me a chance  Tongue

Just some questions to someone who flies a Radian: the manual says do not install the US in winds less than 10 Mph, do you actually do so or do you fly always with the US on?
My outer standoffs are bended when installed in the fittings, have I to cut them down to strighten them?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 08:03 AM by Svolazzo » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 10:53 AM »

1 Upper Spreader

Leave it in. Use a bridle adjustment to fly in less wind. If the kite still won't fly, then take off the US if you wish. Or, just wait for another day for the Radian when the wind is higher.

2 Outer Standoffs

There is a bend to the standoffs. You can slide the standoff connector toward the center of the kite to remove some of the bend, but then the sail will be flatter. This will cause a slight decrease in precision and a slight increase in low wind range.

Click on the hyperlinked photo below and then click on FULL SIZE to see standoffs:

Svolazzo

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 08:10 AM »

Chilese, thanks for the info. I cannot slide the outer standoffs toward the center because there is a stopper on the LS and the fittings are already close to them. It looks like you replaced the original elbow fittings on the LEs with APA's, is it so? What type of APAs are they?

Here are some aerial pics, hope you'll like them.

And in a turtle:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:15 AM by Svolazzo » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 10:21 AM »

The Radian is not mine. It belonged to the late Brian Todd. I don't know where the kite is now.

Svolazzo

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 04:56 PM »

Paolo,

No pictures of the Eclipse you got from me, I am hurt  Embarrassed  Looks like youi have a full suite of the older Prisms - Very nice.

Hal, we are slightly OT, however to make you happy  Wink , here is a pic of the Eclipse. It's only one on land picture just because today I was alone on the field so not able to shot and fly at the same time  Smiley . I had a very nice first fly with the Eclipse performing some nice axels to fade, axels, 540s, turtles, lazy susans and side slides.

Hal

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 05:58 PM »

Paolo,

Looks like the Eclipse fits right in there.  Glad you are having a good time with it. 

Smooth winds,

Hal

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography