GWTW Forum
June 29, 2016, 03:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: admin@gwtwforum.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Revolution Reflex  (Read 2721 times)
riffclown
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 13, 2016, 04:44 PM »

Mine is on the way!!!!!!.. looking forward to exploring the differences in this new kite.. will post review, photos and Possibly vad as soon as I get a bit of handle time..
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 05:52 PM »

It's supposed to be much more controllable at the edges.

Leading edge dead launch a super plus.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
riffclown

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 10:07 AM »

My only concern is, I've heard it makes the catch and throw "un-doable" since the wing won't fully flatten out and dive from zenith.  We'll see of course.
SparkieRob

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 08:18 PM »

Yep, goes back into a glide. But, that wonderful glide might be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
riffclown

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 12:44 PM »

Hadn't thought about that.. a leaf drop back into a control situation might be a very interesting thing to introduce into the repertoire... Will just have to get the kite to drift back into the flying window and remove the slack..  Awesome.. Thanks for the idea..

Could also be a unique way to finish a routine.. leaf drop from apex and let the kite just settle on its own. I do something similar with my 4 line foil. I collapse it at apex and left it drift down.
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 07:01 AM »

I'd recommend a map case (from the artist supply store) to protect the mechanism during transport
riffclown

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 12:53 PM »

Good Point.. AND !!! The kite is in my hands.. Delivered TODAY!!!.. So looking forward to some flying time..
riffclown

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 01:18 PM »

Rain Rain Go Away!!!
Leave Some Wind So I Can Play!!
riffclown

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 02:23 PM »

Had a few minutes of weather break in light winds on Friday, enough time for a quick outing but not enough time for camera so before I start, keep in mind this is with light and variable winds..

First Impressions  Nice looking Kite that not only flies like a Rev, but is a Rev.. The Springs do indeed change the wing shape and dead launch from face down is almost as easy as a standard reverse launch.  The springs did however also change some of the responsiveness in the very light wind conditions.. When accelerating a dive in multiple steps to do a dive stop, you have the load the wing (with a heavier hand) at every step and plan again for loading the wing with the dive stop. It's almost like a delayed reaction compared to my other Revs. It will float much easier than any other wing I've ever used and never "fell out of the air" even when I flew it well past the window..

I like the larger size but inversely, dislike that I don't have multiple frame options and interchangeability with the other Revs I own.. This is a minor point but it does matter to me so thought I'd mention it.. This is a very forgiving kite that will make a difference in the novice flyer and intermediate flyer's hands...I can't speak for the Advanced Kiter or Professional's take, as I consider myself neither of those. Looking forward to more handle time with more consistent wind so I can give this wing a fair review with video to support any comments.
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 03:09 PM »

Springs?HuhHuh?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
riffclown

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 03:33 PM »

Onthe backside of each wing attached to the vertical spar and to the sail via velcro is a small metal spring that shapes the sail. IT keep the sail from being perfectly flat and thus induces float when the sail is in any kind of neutral profile. It makes the dead launch from facedown possible and makes it more stable in the air.. But if any of your tricks or moves are based on a flat sail, you'll have to adjust, relearn or abandon..

riffclown

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 06:55 PM »

MY completed review with added video..

The Rev Reflex is a different animal indeed. The Springs do change the wing shape and dead launch from face down is almost as easy as a standard reverse launch.  The springs did however also change some of the responsiveness in the very light wind conditions.. When step accelerating a dive, you have the load the wing with a heavier hand at each step and plan again for loading the wing with the dive stop. It's almost like a delayed reaction. I like the larger size but, dislike that I don't have multiple frame options and interchangeability with the other Revs. This kite does makes a big difference at the edges. 

Extreme edge of the window, the kite reacted differently than expected. My guess is I was at the point where the springs were trying to make it float but I was still able to give input via the lines.. Not necessarily a bad thing, just one aspect of this wing that I wasn't expecting. All in All a 5 star experience.  This is a very forgiving kite that will make a difference in the novice flyer and intermediate flyer's hands. I can't speak for the Advanced Kiter or Professional's take, as I consider myself neither of those. Looking forward to more handle time with the Rev Reflex.

About the video.. Some raw footage of putting the Reflex through its paces. This was only my second flight with this kite and it DOES act differently than a typical Rev. I intentionally tried to destabilize the kite at the end and flew it well past apex.. It floated right back into the wind gracefully.

[youtube]etUn-3VKF0s[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etUn-3VKF0s

portlandflyer

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 05:48 PM »

2 weekends ago I had the chance to fly one for the 1st time. I had setup my SUL on 85' of 50# and 15" handles. A friend had a Reflex and suggested I give it a try. As my SUL was mostly gliding around and I like a little more substance in my hands (hence my love of my Zen), well I took the plunge! Pretty impressed!! Set it up on my SUL's lines and gave it a go. Kite flew like most any other Rev will, forward, backward, slides, pretty much whatever I threw at it. And did it well! Then I remember the "glide thingy"! So I took it past overhead (yes it will) and grabbed the top lines and yanked. Kinda hesitated for a second, then started floating back downwind! Not sure if you could pull it out of the sky! Not sure if it can be setup for catches unless you disable the springs, but since it wasn't mine - well I didn't mess with it. And no dead launch tries either - again not my kite! But it did have a pretty low wind range and was a very capable sail to add to your bag. Definitely wouldn't turn one down if offered!!! LOL  Cheesy
dayhiker
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 07:02 PM »

Springs on the verticals are nothing new to Rev.  The Power Blast 4-8 has six verticals & the four inner ones have springs.  They are adjustable even.  The big sail is pushed out by the springs when no load is on the sail to give it the shape to aid gliding.  When the sail loads up, boy does it load up, the springs flex & allow the sail to flatten against the frame & generate power as the sail cups & accelerates across the window.  You can adjust the spring tension lighter to flatten out the sail more quickly or heavier to prolong the air foil shape.  The kite will pull pretty hard even near the top of the window but when you reach the zenith it will glide behind you until you do a 180 sending it gliding back downwind on slack lines as it loses altitude.  When it reaches the end of the lines it snaps back into flying position, the springs collapse & it's powered up once more.  If you ever get to fly one of these rare kites you should do it.  A completely different Rev for sure.  But I digress, SHBKF

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom