GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 12:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rev repair stuff  (Read 219 times)
voodoo_joe
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: December 16, 2014, 02:49 PM »

I have had bunches of fun maiming and thrashing dual line kites, so much so, that I've ordered my first quad (rev 1.5 std).  I know me, I break stuff and this will be no exception.  The Prism repair kit has helped me out of a few jams, so is I wanted to put something like that together for the rev.  What stuff should I put in it?  Or is it something I don't really need to worry about all that much?  Thanks!

Cheers----------------------->VJ
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 07:11 PM »

Rev's are pretty darn durable. The only thing I would recommend is maybe a couple extra spars just in case, a replacement bridle because they will wear over time, some of the washers (sail washer, bungee washer) and some replacement end cap kits with bungee's.  All can be purchased for under 50 bucks and should last you for months if not years before you need them (except the spars if you are extremely abusive).

Jim Foster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 09:11 PM »

Rev's are pretty darn durable. The only thing I would recommend is maybe a couple extra spars just in case, a replacement bridle because they will wear over time, some of the washers (sail washer, bungee washer) and some replacement end cap kits with bungee's.  All can be purchased for under 50 bucks and should last you for months if not years before you need them (except the spars if you are extremely abusive).

One leading edge center spar and one other spar.  In the thousands of hours we have flown, we have broken only two spars, one leading edge center when we hit each other head on,,,,,,,,hard, and one vertical spar just exploded into four pieces.  I think it may have been defective as it was a three wrap and the wind was not high.

One pair of end caps.  They come in pairs and are all the same cups.  Any one of the pairs sets will give you two extra bungies as well.  We have had only one fail. 

A few of the rubber washers.  Use rubber faucet washers available at any hardware store or get nylon washers to use as replacements.  Nylon washers will far outlast the rubber faucet washers.  These are the parts that seem to give the most trouble.  For easy and quick repair on the field I carry zip ties.

I carry super glue to re-glue the leading edge ferrules when they work themselves free due to flexing of the leading edge over time.  I remove the leading edge center spar every so often to check that the ferrules are still glued in tight.

Extra bridle.  I tie our own bridles.  Bridles are made of three separate pieces.  Left and right verticals are interchangeable.  I replace sections as needed.  They really do last a long time. but should be looked over for ware.  A bridle failure in the air is not pretty.

As stated before, these kites are very durable and take more crashing than you might think.  Just learn that the bottom "brake" lines are your best friend.

Have fun.........

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:22 AM »

Good advice above from very experienced folks.

I'm the opposite. A total Rev hack. After years of flying Quad every now and then I still don't have great control and beat up my kites pretty good. Bungies and washers stretch and wear over time, but I mainly know this from buying a lot of used Revs and seeing the condition of these parts after many previous owner hours. I've only ever broken end caps and bungies (which were very old) when flying on hard surfaces and landing with little or no control repeatedly. Never broken a spar, even in way too much wind.

Compared to most dual line kites, Revs are practically bullet proof. This is partly due to good design and materials (Rev carbon is top notch) but also due to the style of flying. Less yank and spank and more speed control than with duallies.

Allen, AKA kitehead
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:34 AM »

Some Dacron Insignia Tape to repair rips in the leading edge's mesh.
I've found that it starts to go after a year or so of regular flying, no matter how carefully you fold the kite back up.

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
Jim Foster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 01:04 PM »

Some Dacron Insignia Tape to repair rips in the leading edge's mesh.
I've found that it starts to go after a year or so of regular flying, no matter how carefully you fold the kite back up.

When putting you Rev away after flying,  after removing vertical spars and folding the kite, place the two vertical spars over the leading edge screen, then fold, not roll the sail around the spars to fit into the sock. This helps prevent the leading edge material from cutting the screen. If the screen does start to break along the upper edge, you can sew a zig-zag stitch to keep the screen in place until it gets replaced.
The easiest way to replace the section or partial section of screen is to cut a new piece of screen to the desired size and sew it to the back side of the sail, then carefully cut the bad section from the front. The only thing that will be visible will be the two vertical areas where the new piece over laps the old where they are sewn together. Hardly visible at 100 feet.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum