GWTW Forum
July 24, 2016, 05:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are Revs asymmetrical top-to-bottom?  (Read 769 times)
jasonrohrer
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 10, 2016, 01:53 AM »

Since Revs can be controlled to orient themselves any which way in the flying window, including moving up and down both top up and bottom up,  I'm curious about why the sails are not top-to-bottom symmetrical.

Other quad designs, like the Airbow, are symmetrical, so it's clear that asymmetry isn't necessary to fly.

Maybe it's just a matter of simplifying the construction of the kite, as the Airbow does look more complicated than a Rev.

But if points aren't needed on the top side, why are they needed on the bottom side?  Why couldn't we have a quad line kite that was a simple rectangle or square of fabric with two spars making an X?  Or what about a diamond quad line kite?  It seems that all that's needed is a plane that can be oriented in 3D relative to the wind direction.

Delta kites have a point at the top because that's the part that flies into the wind, so the aerodynamic shape helps to orient the kite in the wind.  A 2-line stunt delta always flies in the direction of its point, assuming there's enough wind power.

Have any of you rev fliers tried to fly your kite starting with the points pointing up?
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 12:38 PM »

There must be an ability to twist each side of the quad

independently. So a shape that doesn't get slender toward

the center will have each half telling the other half what to do.

The straight edge is basically for faster forward flying. It is much

more difficult to fly a Rev backwards. I am not a Rev-head, so

those are just my thoughts on the subject.

And yes, the good fliers can go quickly backwards (pointy direction).

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
jasonrohrer

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 03:46 PM »

Ah, excellent point about the two sides being able to orient themselves independently.  The center is a kind of twist-point.

I also see what you mean about fast forward flying.  From what I've seen, a Rev can really jump into the sky straight up.  Having a solid piece of material up there to pull forward and catch the wind must really help with that.

I wonder if the airbow is more sluggish moving in any direction because it has points on both top and bottom...
makatakam

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 05:13 PM »

If you look at a Rev from the side while it is flying, you will see the shape that the sail takes with pressure on the sail. This shape and the pilots ability to alter it with control inputs is what makes the Rev design move the way it does, and gives it the speed and control that makes it a Rev. The trailing edge ending in two points reduces drag and creates a "keel" that improves straight-line tracking. Other quad-line designs are a bit slower and more difficult to control. I have built several differently shaped sails and none of them fly as well. The shape just suits the purpose it is designed for.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
jasonrohrer

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 09:24 PM »

Yeah, it's really interesting, because it's such an odd shape.  I read the history, and obviously, they tweaked it extensively along the way to make it perfect.
dragonfish
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 12:00 AM »

Assuming enough wind... Wink  Revs definitely have a preferred direction of travel, and that is toward the leading edge.  It's actually called the leading edge, like how the forward facing edges of a dual line delta are also called the leading edges.  While Revs can face any direction and move any direction, as an example it is much harder to move up with the points up (reverse flight) than it is to move up with the leading edge up (forward flight).  So, the asymmetry is not only in looks but in flight characteristics too. 

I have not flown other quad lines, so it was interesting to read about the differences in flight characteristics.  Would sure like to try one someday. 

We do fly our Revs starting with the leading edge on the ground and the points pointing up all the time.  It's called an inverted launch.  However, it would be interesting to see what would happen if one attached the top lines to the points and the bottom lines on the straight side.  Probably a lot of crashing at first while we rewire our brains.  Cheesy

REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 04:04 AM »

asymeteric doesn't have a forward or reverse,.. Airbow is a design which has been created several times by different individuals unknown to each other.  There was guy who made a that looks link two revs stuck to each other edge to edge, with the leading edge venting in the middle.  Another one was the X-wing, again no forward or reverse, just flying in either direction.

None of these quad wings will do what a Revolution kite can.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom