GWTW Forum
March 29, 2015, 03:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quad Life - I'm trying something different  (Read 398 times)
AugustusM
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 19, 2015, 02:28 PM »

1st off I'm a dullie but I do fly quads.  Mainly foils but I do have a Rev and was given expert tutelage by Mr. J Barressi. I don't fly the Rev much, mainly because everyone else is already doing the Rev.  I am not anti-Rev but I was looking for something different to put into competition. Cool  I'm getting a SpiderKites Smithi from ITTW (waiting for delivery now).  From the videos it looks like it may be fun to fly, and after some time with it, I may be able to give my Rev friends some cool competition on Multi-line Ballet.  - I'll keep ya posted.

All that to say: I really am making this post to ask if anyone has flown this bird and what has been their experience with it.

Thanks

Augustus

Example video
https://youtu.be/Wwy_2weBlfc

REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 04:34 AM »

Wow, that looks like it will need bunches of wind Augustus, it will be fine for any of outer banks competitions, but it will not even take off in Dory Park without a golf-cart.  I too can appreciate the desire to NOT use a rev in competition, but there's reason we're all on that kite,... it does more, better, easier and more often.  I spent 3 years building my own version of a quad lied kite called the spirit, by Steve LaPorte.  It did some cool stuff and I had some success.  But eventually I was forced to go back to revolution shapes and finally stopped building myself entirely when Bazzer & Shook came on board as available upgrade options.

It's not the kite, it's the individual flying it,... oh I get all that.  Still, some kites just make everything better.  A suite of Revs can go from indoors to when the port-potties are being blown over!  Nobody else offers this range and they're like interchangeable golf clubs too, they all feel pretty much the same and do slightly different wind ranges.  That doesn't mean I can beat Dennis Smith though, equipment is important, but a killer piece of music and exquisite implementation of your ballet routine ALWAYS knocks out the knuckle-headed soul flying flailers.
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 08:47 AM »

Never having flown one, the video makes it appear weaker than Revs in reverse flight and side slides. As mentioned above, wind range for that style of kite and its variations (SUL UL Standard x-Vented), if any, is probably much more limited. The strong pull may make carving precise competition figures and speed control a little more challenging. Outside of competition, it looks like a fun alternative to Revs, for those that like pull, too.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
sadsack

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 10:59 AM »

I not sure, but that looks like it maybe a single skin kite. If it is, it does need much wind. I been making single skin kite for 6 months now and some of them  I can get to fly in 2.5 MPH wind. I have one big NPW 5 that can pull me on a skateboard in 5 MPH wind. If it is a S.S. kite then you may not need much wind to fly it.

Whats that in the sky?Huh
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 11:21 AM »

it looks like a quad line foil they have been around for awhile hq had symphonys in 3.3 that was quad then beamers used for buggying scudding and atb had all above alot of fun but bigger ones could spank ya in a good wind use cars

Steve & Sherri
airborne

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 03:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

Smooth Winds
Smooth Winds

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum