GWTW Forum
September 03, 2015, 05:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1.5 SLE SUL?  (Read 2076 times)
Mahtman
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 08, 2015, 08:48 AM »

I have three 1.5 SLE Revs: Standard, Vented, and an SUL. I bought the SUL from Dave S at Kite Party 2014.

My question: What are the differences between the Standard and the SUL?

Here's what I know:

Compared to the Standard, the SUL has a lighter-weight material for the leading edge tunnel and a Spectra bridle.

Are there any other differences, for example lighter weight sail cloth material? Or etc?

I think I once saw an 1.5 SLE mid-vent, but I've been told that model is no longer in production and unavailable. Correct?

Thanks,
Mitch

Skyburner Solus Std & UL, Ocius SUL, AeroLite; Gomberg Dopero, Delta Conynes, Ghost Delta, Sled, Fled, Rok, Wilson Wing!?; Prism Quantum, Zero G; Brasington Girl Hata; Rev 1.5 Std, Vented, SUL; Doug Stout BOP 24
SparkieRob

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 09:05 AM »

The original SUL SLE was made with lighter sail cloth. The TKC SUL has an Icarex sail and still the lighter LE pocket with the spectre bridle.

I love my Ghost SUL. I've modded it a little. Diamond frame, French Bridle and Magic Sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
bt
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 04:08 PM »

I have three 1.5 SLE Revs: Standard, Vented, and an SUL. I bought the SUL from Dave S at Kite Party 2014.

I think I once saw an 1.5 SLE mid-vent, but I've been told that model is no longer in production and unavailable. Correct?

Thanks,
Mitch

I have a 1.5 SLE (without the sle....use 2 and/or 3 wraps) mid vented and had to special order it from the store I bought it from. Don't like the looks of mid vented B's....got a red/black symetrical w/black center mid vented...
Also as to the SUL....the other obvious difference is that it comes standard with a 2 wrap frame....
I've also had a couple of different weights/gauges of sul bridles over the years.....
bt
bt
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 04:00 PM »

The SUL also has a ripstop leading edge pocket which is much lighter, the standard has a dacron LE pocket.

REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 04:04 AM »

the "customization guys" (Shook & Bazzer) will do SULs an any model you so desire, it's just throwing a slight bit more money at their project.

I have SUL leading edge sleeves on B-pro full vent & 2 mid-vents, 2 Old Glorys, a Gibian and all 3 of the shook versions, 2 b-Pro full sails and 3 Zens

if you want to drag your leading edge inverted across the soil to launch, then you don't want an SUL sleeve!  If you fly over concrete and asphalt parking lots often you don't want an SUL sleeve.

If you battle fickle winds and frequently have none at all, then an SUL sleeve makes perfect sense.  I want a huge window to work with so weight is always a prime consideration, even when it's windy, i want to go further out on the edge and higher up the top than you can.  If you want more mass to 3D the kite than use a heavier frame.
Mahtman

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 12:24 PM »

Thanks to all for letting me know my Kite Connection SUL SLE has a ripstop nylon LE tunnel and Icarex sail (and Spectra bridle).
  RevFlyer, are these some of the mods you get on all your custom Revs, including Stds? If so, does this mean that I can regard this SUL as a Standard slightly upgraded?
  I have sets of 2, 3, and 4 wrap rods, which I change all the time in all my kites. (The other day, I put 2 wraps in my SLE vented, which worked great with that day's wind conditions. Thanks to the excellent Cass Pittman for suggesting that kind of setup.) Naturally, the SUL with 2 wraps is what I use for lightest winds. When the wind speeds picked up on a recent afternoon, I switched it the SLE to 3 wraps and it acted fine except some slight chattering at speed, which felt to me as either bridle harmonic vibration or LE tunnel vibration. When I switched over to my Std SLE (nylon sail) with 3 wrap, no chattering. Might that be due to the heavier LE tunnel and bridle? The nylon kite was also slightly less quick to turn/less responsive and a bit heavier in the wind, which makes obvious sense.
  If my SUL is in fact my new Std, maybe I'll convert my "old" Std SL/nylon into a mid vent (would be super great for my local gusty conditions) by sewing in a pair of screen panels and cutting out the sail material behind.
  Yeah, I know the right answer is to just go buy some new better kites and rods. Which I'll do.

Skyburner Solus Std & UL, Ocius SUL, AeroLite; Gomberg Dopero, Delta Conynes, Ghost Delta, Sled, Fled, Rok, Wilson Wing!?; Prism Quantum, Zero G; Brasington Girl Hata; Rev 1.5 Std, Vented, SUL; Doug Stout BOP 24
REVflyer

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 04:15 AM »

I'd certainly say that the Shenkman kite is offered as a standard sail SUL configuration.  It's the starting point/basis for further modifications if your goal is low wind or a dead calm.  I used that very set-up for a couple of seasons, until that kite was a tattered mess unworthy of further time or monetary commitment.

Yes, you can sew in some venting panels and create a mid-vent, Not even a tough assignment!  first cut vents to shape as paper templates, insuring you have exactly what you're after, including key-lines for alignment when you do the construction positioning. 
Edge bind the venting on all sides with nylon or icarex, say 3/8 of an inch, capturing the vent inbetween the edge binding on both sides.  These are probably all straight lines so a "no-sew" application is just as effective.

This gives you a solid structure\place to mount upon when you sew.  Place the completed venting panels into position, affix and front-cut away to open the vents after sewing or bonding.  You know,.. while you are making venting panel inserts,... you could also craft "covers" that are removable, right?  In this case you'd mount the venting panels onto the front of the sail and back-cut.

If you can sew, then consider running a stitch down the leading edge sleeve to make it tighter against the tubes (if you do this though SLE sticks or two frames in parallel will no longer fit)  This is more slippery thru the air.

If you are "bonding" you can add extra reinforcing strips to the leading edge so that mesh is more wear-proof from flailing or folding& storage issues.

I used to make kites, before Bazzer and Shook came on board.  Now their quality so vastly exceeds my capabilities that I'd rather order it with a Visa Card.  My bride is very supportive of my addiction, but she runs the household income.  After 20+ years I don't want any stock revolution, in fact I just replace stuff as it wears out.  I have a bunch of Revs, easily 50 in flight worthy condition.  I don't fly much of anything else.

go onto the kite builder forums and make friends with Harold Ames, Dave Ashworth, even the SLK folks, each can add to your experiences, they've certainly inspired me over the years.

I'll buy a kite and pay to have it dismantled and recreated as I desired now, if the factory wouldn't meet my expectations.  So far, though REV and their merchants have always found a way to make it happen.  Just not at a discounted price, still I prefer it a specific way and don't care who follows my lead or laughs as I walk by.

Older kites invite experimentation, go for it!!!!
-plm
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+27)

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 04:48 AM »

My bride is very supportive of my addiction, but she runs the household income. 
Well, she has her kite addictions as well and has called me with a cc at times as well Wink

supportive in our pursuits is what we call it in our house

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
REVflyer

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 04:03 AM »

Are you our "lighted delta kites guy" up north?  If, so my bride has a small statue in your likeness that we worship each night before bed!  NOBODY does customer service like your organization and I don't even get involved with those procurements (maybe that's why?) HA!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+27)

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 04:59 AM »

Ah. No. I am a way to get pieces from Scott Wink

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum