GWTW Forum
November 22, 2017, 09:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Connecting with the Enigma on a cold snowy day in Michigan  (Read 5637 times)
Boats13
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 11:29 AM »

No one noticed the person in the PARKA AND SWEATPANTS in the background right Huh ?
I believe Jim is acclimated! Grin
I will attempt to post pics or video by tomorrow of South Florida Kite flying from today or tomorrow.  Cool

Boats
skb
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 10:37 PM »

Here's a shot from today, a bit better positioning.
T-shirt weather, too.  Kiss

Sent from my '11 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.13
Blky2k
Trade Count: (0)

Re:
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 05:12 AM »

I see all these people in Michigan.  Anyone around the tri- city's that a new" could hook up with sometime?
jlmcevoy

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 06:20 AM »

"The weather is problematic Jim.  Steve lives north of us on the map."

SKB, with this knowledge please send Steve T and myself some good weather South!

Strange weather indeed. Rain all day today changing to snow tonight.
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 07:36 AM »

Tri-city flyers ... Metro Beach next warm day

Kite Bag: Widow Maker std. Ul, Solus std.,Ocius ul, Ocius sul,Pro Dancer,Inak,TNT,(new) Reloaded.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 07:40 AM »

Here's a shot from today, a bit better positioning.
T-shirt weather, too.  Kiss

How do you take those pictures skb ?   Huh

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
skb

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 08:49 AM »

How do you take those pictures skb ?

You can see the kite's right line curving up and out of focus to the right corner of the pic. The camera is held up in my right hand and the left does most of the steering.

I pre-set the focus and exposure on the kite before taking the shot and let it drop down the Edge of the Window, taking 3 or 4 continuous shots as it's getting into position. It's all done in Manual, because my camera's Automatic takes too long to get set before the kite needs to be rescued from dropping in the pond.  Embarrassed

Using full resolution and having it zoomed out left enough room to adjust for crooked horizons and framing. I delete at least 90% of the shots and only use the few that happily work out.

It's a lot easier to take pics one-handed with Quadline kites.  Wink

Anyhow, we're back to rain and grey skies, so back to Jim's great video of flying in the bitter cold.  Grin

jlmcevoy

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 08:52 AM »

I want to know how SKB flies even a UL when the water looks like glass! How is he holding that tip stand with no wind?Huh?
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 10:10 AM »

Been looking at that Photo and wondering Roll Eyes all the same comments.  What a great shot.  Kiss Kiss Especially taken one hand.   Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Back to Jim ...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  This guy is a great flyer.  I was shocked first time I met him.  Didn't know who he was.  He was off a ways were we stage. He was flying a Solus and flipping it around JL after JL.  Roll ups ..wind was real low.  Absolutely Ul time.  Not for him.  When he took a break and a few of us were wondering who is this Mask Man.  We find out he drove about 100 + miles to fly with JON and Wednesday night group. 

What we discovered he made a longer "pig tail" on the Solus and was flying a Std. in very low wind.  Hopefully Devin will be around this week-end and maybe a Saturday Fly could happen at Schoolcraft ...   Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Kite Bag: Widow Maker std. Ul, Solus std.,Ocius ul, Ocius sul,Pro Dancer,Inak,TNT,(new) Reloaded.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 10:24 AM »

Not this time, and not until almost christmas eve. Big things planned here, on the horn. No break this time, Masters recital is December 3rd and Hansel and Gretel (opera) just ended yesterday.

Love the pics and keep flying kites for me mid westerners. Looks great.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
skb

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 10:57 AM »

I want to know how SKB flies even a UL when the water looks like glass! How is he holding that tip stand with no wind?Huh?
Lab Grade® winds, Sea Level. It makes all the difference.

It's one less thing to have to adjust for. The wind becomes a Constant, like Gravity, so you don't have to make corrections for gusts and turbulence all the time.

I know there's no way I could get away with doing that at elevation at Inland flying fields with their stray gusts, swirly direction changes and thinner air.  Undecided

Steve Tapp sent me both the Standard & UL, the no wind pics are with the UL, tuned for the lightest breezes.

There's only a fraction of a second that the kite is in that position when I'm taking the shots, as the camera is blocking my peripheral vision and the right hand is holding both the camera and strap.

It's way easier with quadlines, as I can fly them left-handed so the right hand is free to hold the camera.  Wink

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 11:24 AM »

You can see the kite's right line curving up and out of focus to the right corner of the pic. The camera is held up in my right hand and the left does most of the steering.

I pre-set the focus and exposure on the kite before taking the shot and let it drop down the Edge of the Window, taking 3 or 4 continuous shots as it's getting into position. It's all done in Manual, because my camera's Automatic takes too long to get set before the kite needs to be rescued from dropping in the pond.  Embarrassed

Using full resolution and having it zoomed out left enough room to adjust for crooked horizons and framing. I delete at least 90% of the shots and only use the few that happily work out.

I knew it had to be something absolutely crazy like that!  Shocked

Wonderful results tho' !   Smiley
Congratulations and my deepest respect.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Blky2k

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 01:33 PM »

Tri-city flyers ... Metro Beach next warm day
Metro beach?
jlmcevoy

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 05:53 AM »

Blky2k.

Welcome new flyer. I am in the Saginaw area. If you are located anywhere close send me a message.
tempest
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 09:22 PM »

Blky2k.

Welcome new flyer. I am in the Saginaw area. If you are located anywhere close send me a message.

I knew it had to be something absolutely crazy like that!  Shocked

Wonderful results tho' !   Smiley
Congratulations and my deepest respect.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom