GWTW Forum
July 27, 2014, 11:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Storing kites with the leading edges broken down  (Read 1383 times)
sealcove
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: September 07, 2010, 04:19 PM »

I just got a new Speed Bag, and I am toying with the idea of using it folded up so that it can fit behind the seat in my truck.  Full length means that it has to go in the bed, which is less than ideal, and it's also is problematic on the boat.  In short, I think I would keep some kites with me more often if I had them at half length.

Aside from a bit more setup and take down time, are there any drawbacks to storing the kites this way?  I would think that with a careful folding/rolling job it would not matter, but I bet folks here have given it more thought than I.

Thanks, Douglas
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:26 PM by sealcove » Logged
flat6nut
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 04:42 PM »

I would think that the more a kite is broke down that there are more chances of things becoming more worn. Ideal storage would be fully put together (jmho).

Bottom line though...if you are more likely to fly them if you can carry them with you...they are only kites and need to be used. Whats the use of that garage queen Porsche in the garage if it never gets her legs strecthed? (FHO)

Michael
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 05:46 PM »

I've seen quite a few kites with excessive wear on the LE tunnel at the folding point. Other than that, your fittings will get loose faster, but they are cheap.

I fully agree that a kite left at home on a nice day is worthless in the moment. Take care when folding UL & SUL kites that have thin LE material, but by all means, keep 'em with you!

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 06:13 PM »

I've gotten a kite off the swap meet that the spars had actually worn through the leading edge tunnel, it was a UL and used the 1.5 oz leading edge so it was lighter fabric. Just take care to leave a little space between the spar ends and the fold since carbon spars are very abrasive and you should be fine.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 12:17 AM »

I use a 1/2 length MLD bag and break down my kites, done that for about 15years. My fittings haven't gone sloppy and the only time I wore a leading edge was where a particularly thick brass ferrule caused a bump in the LE which rubbed on the ground. This was a very old very heavily abused kite, nothing to do with folding.

When you fold them just make sure there's a little slack on the LE fold so the spars don't rub against it and there wont be a problem.

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 01:17 AM »

Hey there...
When I have to travel small, I take the Zephyr with another more robust kite inside of the Zephyr case, and the Micron fits nicely in the outside carrying area. I have folded and unfolded my Zephyr dozens and dozens of times by now, and it shows only slight wear at the fold in the LE.
Maybe keep your roll-up bag as a full length home base, and use the Z case as your constant companion...

~Rob.

sealcove

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 02:20 PM »

I think I like Rob's solution for traveling light.  That case the Zephyr came with could be just right for my situation.  I can keep a couple of less critical kites stored that way, and it offers a bit more protection for trips in the boat (I think it may even fit into a dry bag I have).  I have to be on the water tomorrow for work and will be stopping by an island with great beaches in the afternoon. I already have the Zephyr and Eclipse packed and ready.  Will see how it goes.

Douglas
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 03:55 PM »

Robs idea is the way to go. thats the only way I get to fly in chicago, is with the Zcase. Not a fan of lugging around a big kite bag in the city....

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 04:20 PM »

My personal preference is to always break them down. I never stress the "fold" at the LE and have never encountered any wear.

I've used the Zephyr case once or twice when flying, but have been using a 40" bag lately as a carry-on. Fits nicely in my car and behind the rolling cases in the plane overheads. Never had a problem with either one.

Bob
sealcove

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 11:41 AM »

The Prism case worked out well for the first boat use yesterday.  Here I am heading out to the boat at dawn ready for a 70+ nautical mile trip to seven different islands.  I got to fly at two different spots. 

kitebug
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 06:54 PM »

I don't see a real issue with wear, AirZone always brakes the kite down in half, we store / carrie our Fury's in Rev bags and that makes the set way more trasnportable, specially when traveling overseas.

the biggest issue I see with some kites is the tensioning is a pain to do and undo all the time those I prefer not brake down, but with some kites like the fury with rubberbands to tension the LE its a quick on and off.

Cisco

Volando!
Cisco
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document