GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 10:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: America's Got Talent Scott Weider  (Read 5577 times)
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 08:45 PM »

We had an extended family gathering when the show aired. I don't watch it normally, but the "fans" in the family had it going and the Reve peaked my interest enough to watch the rest of the show.

It was fairly clear that episode of the show was about the judges and their exaggerated reactions - not about the contestants. Contestants were the straight men to the judges' punch lines. That ritual for each act became boring after about ten minutes. "X" the judges and show was my opinion - but a few more beers would have changed my view and opinion immensely.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 07:28 AM »

The TV business is uglier than most things. It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason.

Hunter S. Thompson
Generation of Swine: Tales of Shame and Degradation in the '80s (New York: Summit Books, 1988). 

I spent 27 years in the TV biz.   Cool

Oh, the horror...the horror. Col. Kurtz

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
Brian O
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 05:39 PM »

Tough break on the show for sure but doubt not his ability.  Would he have won even with if he performed as well as he does in the video below, no, but he would have shown millions of viewers something they never knew was possible.

My hat's off to Scott for having the courage to simply step on that stage and I thank him for his attempts to share the sport with those who have never known more than a plastic SLK.

Scott Weider, flying indoor Revolution kite
TGunn
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 06:20 PM »

Knowing his lines weren't right, perhaps Scotty should have withdrew from the competition, and waited for another audition at another time/place, instead of being pressured to perform when he knew the lines may cause trouble. There's no doubt Scotty could have wowed the crowd if his equipment wasn't faulty. Wink

Troy Gunn

Founding member of TKO Sport Kite Team - USA

http://tko.sportkite.team.tripod.com/Troybio.htm
obijuankenobe

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 12:42 AM »

Yeah, not sure what to say about that.  But certainly, GWTW is the place to discuss this.

1st off, of course:  Great try.  Better than not trying.  But seriously, if you are planning to perform on TV, wouldn't you be ready at least a few minutes in advance? 

Let's say hypothetically they indeed moved him up from two hours from now...to NOW.  Shouldn't the lines have been ready YESTERDAY? 

But hey, that stage looked pathetically small, and even if he had flown well, there was no guarantee that they wouldn't have buzzed him anyway for hitting the lights or something. 

We all need to face the facts known already in ancient times:  Most folks ain't ready for us.  Grown-ups are not interested in being outdoors or playing with toys. 

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 10:25 AM »

All the same. My hat goe's off to him. It takes some BIG balls to go on TV, let alone be criticized by those "judges" (I use this term very loosely). TV is all about the ratings, period. It's what keeps shows on TV. I have been and still am working in the production business as a lighting and set designer, I work on live events, TV and Film. I have almost seen it all. It's not bad being behind the scenes, but I would never want to be on stage. Bravo to Scott! There will be a next time, and I am sure he will blow our socks off Wink. As for his lines, he might not have been on set before the performance and it would be extremely hard to judge what length he needed to fly if he never had a chance to rehearse in the space.

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
RonG
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 04:34 PM »

There will be a next time, and I am sure he will blow our socks off Wink
Scott blows my socks off every time he flies.  He's one of the people who inspired me to compete in sport kiting, and I consider him a mentor and friend.

But the fact still remains that in the context of a show like that, I don't think any kiteflier is destined for much success, regardless of how well the performance goes.
anOldMan

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 04:35 AM »

Scott blows my socks off every time he flies.  He's one of the people who inspired me to compete in sport kiting, and I consider him a mentor and friend.

But the fact still remains that in the context of a show like that, I don't think any kiteflier is destined for much success, regardless of how well the performance goes.

That is because most TV show are directed at a person with a 6 year old mentality.
Before anybody starts with the "O YAs". I did say most. Just look at the whole TV guide to see if I am right!

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
RonG
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 05:26 AM »

That is because most TV show are directed at a person with a 6 year old mentality.
I agree.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 06:05 AM »

Scott blows my socks off every time he flies. 
I wish Scotty would keep up flying dual lines.....it was amazing to see what he could get a big boxy Aerodrone Stripes to do so easily!!!!

on a side: he did just put on one heck of a festival in Newport this past weekend!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 07:28 AM »

i'll go with conspiracy theory(fans got truned on or something), but he should have been ready for anything. He gets a pass.

I dont even remember what this thread is about.
Bob D

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 04:30 AM »

And what about the judges?? What do they know about talent? Does any one of them have any claim for talent? David Hasselhoff?? Sharon Osborne??

Now Scott Wieder has talent! (Even if quad flying ability isn't going to be recognized by everyone else.)

Bob D.
antman

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 01:55 PM »

no matter what happened im sure scotty will do it again .. hes got balls .. and can fly indoors really well

aerochic

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 04:33 PM »

It's been making my heart ache to see some of the negative things that are already written out there about him because of this. That is why I felt compelled to comment on the video and put a link to his finer work on my own Youtube page if anyone goes to look.

When faced with stuff like this, I think it's best to turn a negative into a positive. Perhaps if the kiting community continues to speak well of Scotty, someone will take notice. Grin Not to mention he's a great guy who deserves all the positive press he can get.

Better Living Through Kite Flying!
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 04:40 PM »

It's been making my heart ache to see some of the negative things that are already written out there about him because of this. That is why I felt compelled to comment on the video and put a link to his finer work on my own Youtube page if anyone goes to look.
I did not get that impression from this thread... nor was is started to be negative. I know what a great flyer Scott is and I know people are going to mention seeing an indoor kite routine on the show. I wanted to be able to explain what happened... as I know Scott is such an exceptional flyer.

There is the question of why the line would come into play... I don't ever adjust mine and why would this not have been done well before the event... but I'm sure there is more to that story as well.

I think we've all acknowledged that indoor kite flying was never going to have the TV wow factor to win but that it's _always_ good when kite flying makes it into the view of such a large audience. I have no doubt that at least a few people are going to pick up a kite and fly it because of the show.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change