GWTW Forum
September 19, 2018, 12:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joys of sewing  (Read 7516 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 09:33 PM »

So far ...my bargain priced Brother CS-6000i has got me through 5 (2 Invictus 88s, a Monster, 2 Organic 105s) kites and 5 kite sleeves or so ...and is still going strong. If it holds up for ONLY 5 more kites, that'll mean it cost me $15 per kite. At that point, I won't mind purchasing another one to replace it if necessary. Anything longer than that will be a bonus!  Wink
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 03:05 PM »

As far as sewing machine goes, you can spend a huge amount of money on them, like long arm sail maker machine, that can easy run up to several 10k. Of course it is a real pleasure to be able to use them. But also not needed for most kite making, since our sails are so much smaller.

I started out making kite sails on my mothers old home sewing machine, i think it was a victoria of some kind, it worked like a total charm back in its days. sew everything thrown under it, with minimal thread tension. But that was like 20 years ago.

These days i use a Pfaff 1222. Why? Because it is a solid machine, and powerfull and consistent in its sewing results. Sadly only available used these days. the entier 12xx line is a very good machine for us. If you are looking for one, try to get the electronic series, like 1221e. they have the added bonus of having the full stitching power on the first stitch without having also to go high speed. That is imho very valuable when sewing small parts of thick material.

Berninas of the record line are also most excellent machine for kite sewing, solid and good stitching.

As for thread, there is a tone of different threads on the market these days, some are very good, some don't work well together with certain machines, and some ore just junk. If you want a excelllent solid handling thread, Bonded polyester in V30/V33 strength will carry you very far. Sadly other colors then white can be difficult to get you hands on. But that is the thread to go for, especially if you need to sew large amounts. As added bonus you can get that stuff also as prewind bobins for the lower thread feed.

As for glue, another tip, thinner glue tape also reduces the humming up effect. Stuff like 3m 965 is very thin with good gluing power and hardly any gumming up even with a non oiled thread. Stuff like the normal double sided tape sold in kite stores on the other hand are of course enough to just tack the sail parts together and sew over it, but it is heavy and thick and gums up the machine quickly.

Reason for Edit: Typo in the 3m tape number correct. 975->965
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 12:44 AM by ae » Logged
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 04:00 AM »

Good advice from someone who builds.

Concerning tape, is 975 the correct number?  Just did a little googling and did not find it.

I use 3M 924 ATG commonly used for framing, 2 mil thick, available in 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4" rolls.  This tape was recommended and works well with fabric.  Does stick to the needle hence the oiler.

There is 908 an acid free version of the 924.  May have to try it.

There is 976 for smooth surfaces, also 2mil. May have to try it.

There is a thinner 970xl at 1mil but only 1/2 and 3/4 width.  Would not want to strip it thinner myself and just make a mess.

I use the 1/4" to set the seams, wider tapes on reinforcements.

Framing supplies and uline seem good sources.

Any other thoughts on tape out there? Ideally tape will stick well to fabric and not the needle.

As for glue, another tip, thinner glue tape also reduces the humming up effect. Stuff like 3m 975 is very thin with good gluing power and hardly any gumming up even with a non oiled thread. Stuff like the normal double sided tape sold in kite stores on the other hand are of course enough to just tack the sail parts together and sew over it, but it is heavy and thick and gums up the machine quickly.
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 12:45 AM »

Good advice from someone who builds.

Concerning tape, is 975 the correct number?  Just did a little googling and did not find it.

Of course it is not, it is supposed to say 965 ....
stapp59
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 10:00 AM »

Neglected to add incorrect threading as a way to mess up machine operations.  The Pfaff likes the thread to the left of the thread plate and between the pressure washer.  On the other side of the plate the thread tension is not even and bad things happen.  RTFM  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:17 AM by stapp59 » Logged
stapp59
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 08:41 AM »

Just finished sewing the panels on three new sails.  With the thread oiler there is NO glue buildup on the needle and I can sew fast or slow with no machine issues (yet).  One sail even had pinstripping so double layer of seam tape to sew through. I suppose the bottom line is whatever works and keep trying new things...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom