GWTW Forum
October 26, 2014, 02:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Trick  (Read 1394 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: July 10, 2009, 10:21 PM »

After flying last evening a new flyer asked me about some of the tricks my son and I were doing.  He was pretty clear about what he though looked nice and what looked more like controlled chaos.

So, what trick do you think is most appreciated by spectators?

6 kite tom
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 01:50 AM »

After flying last evening a new flyer asked me about some of the tricks my son and I were doing.  He was pretty clear about what he though looked nice and what looked more like controlled chaos.

So, what trick do you think is most appreciated by spectators?

IMO, CONTROLLED chaos is not bad. It is when it looks like UNcontrolled chaos that people turn away, even though you spent 3 to 6 months getting the timing of the trick.

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 02:17 AM »

The average spectators favourite is big loops with long tails  Cry

That's why I fly for myself not to impress others

benjai

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 03:10 AM »

Whenever I've shown videos of freestyle to the completely uninitiated, they've always been most impressed with being able to land the kite and take off again  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Everything else seems to look a bit like a struggle to regain control and get back to flying loops or figure-8's!!!
aerialis

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 05:02 AM »

Pairs or Team Flying!

When I do my flying alone and throw off one cool trick combo after another, no one seems to care, but as soon as I team up with my team buddies and fly synchronized stuff, people stop by and watch.

Almost any trick is a real eyeopener for any spectator when done in perfect (?) sync! IMO it seems like pairs/team flying adds another dimension to kite flying that non-kiters tend to understand and appreciate!  Smiley

lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 05:07 AM »

I vote for the sharpest, meanest and most aggressive looking tip stabs. All the most complex and hardest tricks go to nought when the day comes when u can tip stab into the sand, drop your handles and walk away (Hopefully not to be cursing while fishing for your Credit Card for your next LLE stockup).  Huh

-Darryl
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 07:03 AM by lasapcheong » Logged

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 05:36 AM »

I love tipstabs, and good 540s when it looks like your REALLY going to drive the kite into the groud. That also pretty much amazes people around here- anything quick and close to the ground.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 06:39 AM »

I guess it depends on your audience. If I were watching, I would be most impressed by smooth flying, and simple tricks. Once you start throwing in tricks like the Comete, you've lost me. I appreciate the skill necessary to do one, but it still looks like the kite is broken and about to crash.
It is true, when the general public is watching, they are most impressed with nice figures, landing and taking off...
~Rob.

lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 09:34 AM »

I don't get comments very often, for good reason most of the time.  Embarrassed The few I've received were for the simplist looking moves others have mentioned. Ground passes, side slides, and flat spins inches off the dirt seem to be the most consistent comment generators. Two-point and tip stab landings anywhere & anytime seem to be the next group. Presicision with a few half axels thrown in seem to be the next group.

I've heard crowds like JL's, but not mine (see first sentence). The comments I've received for flipping about are "need a tail" and "need more wind."

My favorite comments are, "You make it fly like a bird." (OK, only twice. Cry) That one is received while flying loopty-loop stuff and brain in vegimatic-mode.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Jest_of_Eve

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 02:01 PM »

Ahhhh, too many answers to that question. I voted for a Cascade because, like the JL, it looks very deliberate.

Tip stabs/stands also looks very good.....etc.

Doing a Yo-Fade backspin cascade will ensure you advancement in a Trick Out, but JoE BloGGs will only think "Meh?", then come over and tell you that you're doing it wrong!  Cheesy.

Coin tosses, etc. Anything that looks like you intended to do it, over and over is sure to get the message across that what you are doing is planned.

Mark

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change